main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Many Happy Returns - On hiatus due to bereavement - new message 11/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveSlave1

DaveSlave1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2008
    Yes, i definitly think a 'better job' can be done with Tahiri's charecter then has been done recently in canon :mad: there's a lot of potential there.

Good to see you post again, now i can look forward to an update :)

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    This is just to apologise profusely to you all for the huge delay. Real life has been a bit too time-consuming lately and there were unfortunately things that had to be dealt with that took all my time and energy. However - starting to get back to normal again so you shouldn't have to wait too much longer. I really am sorry about this - it's a fact of life that everything seems to happen at once!!

Thanks so much for your patience. I appreciate it hugely. I'll try and get as much done as I can this week to compensate for the lack. [:D]

3. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    [:D]
    We'll be here when you get back! [face_coffee]

4. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Looking forward to the update [:D]

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Sorry this took so long. I feel bad, but sometimes RL is pretty persistent.

Anyway - here's chapter 47. In the process of reading back to check that I had some facts straight, I found some bloopers in chapters 36 and 37, and chapters 45 and 46. They are continuity glitches - which I have now fixed. In ch 36 and 37 I had to delete a few lines that stated Dajira and Vilco took two others, Rance and Esra, with them. I'd actually forgotten that in the later chapters, so I changed the two earlier chapters to fit.

Then in chs 45 and 46, I said it was Squirt who'd been killed and it was Squid. D'uh! Can't remember my own OCs. How bad is that! Anyway - it's fixed now. Also at the end of ch 45 I had Tendra tell Lando the little children were with the swoopers in an equipment shed. Wrong. They were on the next level down on the building site - so that is now corrected.

It sure pays to read back occasionally! LOL I tend to forget details due to the long gap between posts. My fault entirely, so sorry about those glitches.

[b]Chapter 47[/b]

Leaving the warehouse had proved to be more complicated than either Tab or Purr expected. In fact if not for the unexpected intervention of an austere looking senior Security Officer and his sidekick, they suspected that the two young, and somewhat officious, guards at the top of the stairwell might have sent them back down to the others. But when Neijal explained how she and Jassif had left their young children on a nearby building site with some injured swoopers, the older man ordered one of the guards to borrow a Dinarran Security team transport vehicle and fly them over in that.

The evening air was brisk but nobody was complaining. In fact the chill was cleansing for irritated lungs and troubled minds, and the feeling of open spaces and relative silence was very welcome after their recent experiences.

Purr studied the skyline feeling, in a strange way, surprised at its comforting familiarity. Somehow it seemed incongruous that nothing in Dinarra looked different: the fluid light-lines of ground traffic still coloured the main routes and were counter-pointed above by the occasional halogen-blue glare of an air car; and the faint hum of factories and city night-life was still there like background music. It seemed wrong that nothing had changed, wrong that the city was just carrying on as usual with no awareness of what had just happened. And she couldn't help wondering how often others had had the same thought when they looked out over the city after events like tonight's, events that had affected and changed their lives in ways they never could have predicted.

She knew that for her Dinarra was a different place now, and although she couldn't really put it into words, she knew also that this was not going to be a completely bad thing. It was an odd realization. Dinarra was her adopted home; it was the place where she had found a family that she was proud to call hers. It was the place where she'd had to fight to preserve it. She hated what had happened, but somehow it had made her commitment to that family even stronger ? and yet it went beyond that. She was committed to Dinarra, too. She'd never realized she was, but she knew it was true now ? maybe it was only true after tonight. And for some really odd reason she felt bad that Dinarra, and by association Balmorra, hadn't been kind to the Mantrusians.

She sighed and turned to Neijal. "I guess this is one place you won't ever want to come back to."

To the Trianii's surprise Neijal took what she'd intended as a rhetorical question seriously. "Bad things happen everywhere, and there will always be good and bad memories of a place. I really think that if I was invited to come back here, I would definitely come."

"So would I," agreed Jassif nodding.

Purr's eyes, which had closed to slits thanks to the chill breeze, widened suddenly, and she felt the tear ducts reacting to the cold. She caught Tab's look of surprise, no doubt a reflection of her own.

"But why?

6. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    *Steals first* :D [face_dancing]

7. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    So glad to see you back! [:D]

8. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks, guys. I can't apologise enough for the long absence. My next task is to catch up on all your and all the other wonderful stories I love. So sorry again, but as they say - that's life for you.

9. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Welcome back to the mayhem, Tahi. I know what you mean about going over and making edits to previous posts. I do that fairly often - go back and edit a sentence, making it shorter or more concise.

Nice perspective on Balmorra from Purr's POV.

I think Tab's going to break down very soon. She needs to get it out of her system.

The parody of Old MacDonald's Farm - [face_laugh]

Like I said in a previous post - we have to worry if the bikers corrupted the kids. Or in this case, Kushka. We don't need to worry about the baby insofar as corruption goes. Worrying about the diapers is a different story.

I think Skell demonstrated he has father material in him. Maybe that's good news for his girlfriend, assuming he has one.

The threat of biological warfare from Skell's part - [face_laugh]

Zed's reaction to Neijal's comment about a son - priceless. His comment to Tab was a nice save on his part, though.

Yep, Zed jinxed it.

Nice banter during the philosophical moment.

Those two need stimtea? I guess I could see that as much as I could see Lando needing a drink from a top-brand wine.

I can see next time you're going to post quite a "homecoming" for Jaytee.

10. DaveSlave1

Jul 22, 2008
    Nice update, nice to see you back again :)

I really liked how you captured the emotions and impact of the battle and all it meant to the swoopers, you convayed very well how huge an event it was in their lives and the impact it had, and would have in the future.

oh and 'Old Antilles' [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Love it!!

11. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    IT's back! [face_dancing]

CJM

12. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    It sure pays to read back occasionally! LOL I tend to forget details due to the long gap between posts. My fault entirely, so sorry about those glitches.

Little things like that are bound to happen when you write a story this large.

Purr studied the skyline feeling, in a strange way, surprised at its comforting familiarity. Somehow it seemed incongruous that nothing in Dinarra looked different: the fluid light-lines of ground traffic still coloured the main routes and were counter-pointed above by the occasional halogen-blue glare of an air car; and the faint hum of factories and city night-life was still there like background music. It seemed wrong that nothing had changed, wrong that the city was just carrying on as usual with no awareness of what had just happened. And she couldn't help wondering how often others had had the same thought when they looked out over the city after events like tonight's, events that had affected and changed their lives in ways they never could have predicted.

Great descriptions and I really like Purr's thoughts here, that the world is still there after all the Yuuzhan Vong did.

"Old Antilles had a farm, ee-ii-ee-ii-yo, and on that farm he had a nerf, ee-ii-ee-ii-yo. With poodoo here and poodoo there . . ." The song temporarily floundered thanks to a little boy's squeals of laughter.

[face_laugh]

"Hey, watch it," he growled, grabbing at the grimy cloth lying in a sodden bundle beside him and waved it threateningly. "I have a loaded nappy and I'm not afraid to use it."

[face_laugh]

"Come on, I'm not going to break," she murmured gruffly. "Hey, you don't really think I'm . . ."
    "Nah, course not," he blustered as they hobbled in to the elevator. "Just . . . aware that I eat more pies than you."

I've missed all the great swooper banter [face_laugh]

"Well, there you are then," said Purr. Then she turned to the others, her amber eyes glistening like lanterns in the dark. "No matter what happens, we'll always have that, and no matter where we end up, we?ll always be family." She gazed at each of them in turn and then spat on her hand and held it out; one by one the others followed suit.

=D=

He stared at her for a moment and then shrugged. "If that's what you want," he said petulantly, and then added. "I'll tell the chief. He'll be debriefing you all."
    "Better make sure my briefs are clean then," muttered Zed as Hami and Grunt,

[face_laugh] :_|

And as she led them to the room that once belonged to her friends, now dead along with Doc and Squid thanks to Bomar Tag and his cronies, she wondered how she could ever forgive anyone even vaguely connected to the man; and why, why, why had those two crazy Jedi brought Jaytee back here after all he'd done to destroy them?

Jaytee's still got some explaining to do o_O

Who'd have thought three Mantrusians would fit in so well with a bunch of gruff swoopers? Really interesting when you look at everything that happened to them, and also how different the Knights seem from when Anakin and Tahiri first bumped heads with them. I wonder how anxious they would have been about housing Neijal and Jassif back then [face_thinking]

Great post =D= Was really nice seeing what happened to a bunch of the swoopers we hadn't heard from in awhile and seeing the Mantrusians make it out okay. Can't wait to find out what becomes of Rongo and the others and where Lando, Tendra, Anakin, and Tahiri end up in all of this.

Post more soon! :D

13. Jastal

Jastal Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2008
    Hey Tahi, just finished reading through this for the second time...still not sure why I didn't review the first time, but anyways, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading it and it's great to see that your committed to finishing this.

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

14. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Nice reunions, Tahi![:D] =D=

[face_pumpkin]

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yoda
    You win. :)

starwriter
    It's good to be back. :)

JA
    Glad you liked the song. Yep - little Skell may have found his calling. LOL Thanks for the feedback on the swooper banter - I've had fun with them.

LOL to the comment about Lando and the wine. :D

Yes - we have to deal with how the swoopers will react to Anakin and Tahiri bringing JT back. Can they forgive him? I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the comments.

DaveSlave
    Thanks - and sorry again for the long break between drinks so to speak.

Yes, you're right. To the Solos et al this kind of mayhem is par for the course - but I thought it was important to show how the "everyman" kind of person might be affected. How do they deal with the fallout? And also - how does an encounter with the likes of Anakin and Tahiri change them? (Hence a lot of the imagery on lightsabers as "beacons of light", and the themes you've picked up on.)

Glad you liked Ol' Antilles. ;) Thanks for the feedback. :)

cjm
    Hey there. :) Good to see you again.

Yoda
    Things that tend to happen when one is ditzy. LOL

I've grown fond of the swoopers - gonna miss them when this ends. Glad you enjoy the dialogue.

Who'd have thought three Mantrusians would fit in so well with a bunch of gruff swoopers? Really interesting when you look at everything that happened to them, and also how different the Knights seem from when Anakin and Tahiri first bumped heads with them.
    Thanks for raising those points. The Knights have changed a lot due to their exposure to both Anakin and Tahiri and the Mantrusians. Basically they've been given another way of seeing things, and I guess it's going to be a question of how they're going to take all this on board.

Can't wait to find out what becomes of Rongo and the others and where Lando, Tendra, Anakin, and Tahiri end up in all of this.
    I hope you like what's coming up then. :) LOL

Jastal
    Hi and welcome. :) Lovely to have you on board. I'm impressed that you've read the story twice! Wow. Such fortitude. LOL

Seriously it's very cool to have a new reader - a real boost. So thanks so much for reading and posting.

TSF
    Glad you liked them. :) Thanks. [:D]

And [:D] to everyone. More is coming soon.

16. Jastal

Jastal Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2008
    Well I read it the first time a little while ago, and recently picked up a copy of Conquest and Rebirth at a bookstore, (had read them a long time ago but figured they're worth buying to read again.) After finishing Rebirth I knew I couldn't go on to read SBS again, (once was enough) so the only logical choice was to coninue on with your vignette Beginnings, (which imo should have been how Rebirth ended) then go on and read MHR again. :D When your reading a story this good it's not difficult to read it multiple times.

Any chance I could get on the PM list if you keep one? Deffinately don't want to miss an update.:)

17. -DDR-

-DDR- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2007
    That was cool post Tahi. As I've said before I like your OCs and it's great to see the way each of them are kinda being influenced by Anakin and Tahiri. I really like the underlying morals and themes in this story, it's edifying if you know what I mean. :)

Anyways that's to say as you've guessed that I really enjoyed the post.

18. The_Samurai

The_Samurai Jedi Master

Mar 31, 2006
    Another excellent post, Tahi. I have to chime in with many of your readers by saying that I really like your OCs. The swoopers have been great all through the story. Star Wars can become a whole lot more compelling with the addition of some fun and interesting non-jedi characters. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything ties up with Anakin and Tahiri, though, and you're still keeping us in suspense about what Tahiri wants for her birthday. Anyway, great chapter, excellent work.

19. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Jastal

I agree totally with your thoughts about Conquest and Rebirth. Those books are my favourites. Greg Keyes is the man as far as I'm concerned. [face_love]

Thanks for reading Beginnings. :) I did actually write that story as a kind of optional ending to Rebirth, although more as a bridge from that book to this story. And thanks for the lovely comments about this story. I'm just glad to be able to keep the A/T I love alive, and it's great to have others of the same mind around. :)

I'll certainly add you to the PM list.

DDR
    Hey there. :) Glad you still like the swoopers and the other OCs. Thanks also for the comments about theme and morals - yes, the way A&T work as an impetus for good in others' lives is an important theme in this story - and I think it's true to the Star Wars that captured me years ago when I saw the OT. Friendship and loyalty and being true to self are the things I think came through in those first 3 movies, and I try and keep that going. So thanks for commenting on that.

Samurai
    Hi again. :) Always good to see you.

Thanks for your comments about the swoopers - and glad you like them. Glad also that you feel they add to the story. Sometimes I've worried if I've made them a little too much like major characters - because they've kind of written larger roles for themselves than intended. But ultimately it's the A/T storyline that is the main focus, and we'll move back on to that soon - and I hope that the birthday gift scenes will be worth the wait. {she says nervously!) ;)

Thanks everyone. I've been working on the next chapter so hopefully it won't be too much longer before it's ready to post.

20. DaveSlave1

Jul 22, 2008
    No problem Tahi, its quality not regularity, so to speak :D

Yes, the effects on the regular person is not something that is often done well (or at all) in star wars (prequels spring to mind) and its interesting (and nice :)) to see Jedi being unifying figures in contrast to the divisive figures they often were in the NJO.

21. KatMom

KatMom Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2008
    That was just great, Tahi, made my day. :) Those Triani are an interesting species. I like that I get to know your original characters so well and I find I care about them which is nice. I guess the swoopers won't be very happy with Anakain and Tahiri for bringing Jaytee back with them. Waiting to see what happens...... ;)

22. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    DaveSlave
    Thanks for that. :) I'd still like to be able update more frequently though.

As far as the idea of the Jedi as unifiers - yes!!! The NJO showed the opposite to a great extent, but in the end reverted to the sole hero/saviour idea. I'm moving the other way towards a more cohesive/cooperative trend where the "one" is augmented by the strength of the many. To me that was what the original trilogy was about, and that was what I loved about it. I guess that's kind of old-fashioned and mystical - but that's my preference.

KatMom
    Hey there - thanks for reading and reviewing. Glad you like the Trianii. I gather you're a cat lover? :)

23. Jastal

Jastal Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2008
  24. Mousie

Mousie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Sorry to get behind, Tahi. I have an ongoing problem with my computer which is really annoying. I hope Santa has me on his list for a new one :)
    That last chapter was awesome and funny, you write humor really well because it sounds kind of real. I'm like a lot of your readers, I love the OCs especially Blue [face_love] He's one of those rough types with a heart of gold. Kind of a classic Star Wars character really I guess. :)

Looking forward to more as usual.

25. Jastal

Jastal Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2008
    Up again!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.