main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Many Happy Returns - On hiatus due to bereavement - new message 11/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -DDR-

-DDR- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2007
    Looking forward to the next post, Tahi. Need my Anakin and Tahiri fix. :)

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hey there Jastal - thanks so much for the ups. :)

Mousie
    Good to see you - and sorry about your computer woes. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Santa's listening. ;)

Thanks also for the kind comments - much appreciated. Glad you like old Blue. He's fun to write.

DDR
    Good to see you and you'll be relieved to know that you don't have to wait any longer.

Thanks for your patience everyone - here's chapter 48.

[b]Chapter 48[/b]

Anakin's and Tahiri's entrance into the big room the Black Knights used as their common room went much as they'd steeled themselves to expect ? an initial outpouring of relief and gratitude rapidly eclipsed by disbelief and rage the minute Jaytee stepped through the door.

Tria was the first to react, limping forward while her gaze flicked from Jaytee to the two young Jedi, who could hear her confusion and hurt literally shouting in the Force.

?Guys, it isn't that I don't respect you, you know that. But I'm assuming someone belted you both on the head, 'coz it's the only explanation for bringing [i]that[/i] with you,? she spat, thrusting a finger to indicate Jaytee. Tahiri noticed, and Anakin felt, the boy flinch, but he remained where he was, albeit looking tense and uncomfortable.

?I understand how you feel,? said Anakin taking great care to avoid sounding patronising, which he'd long ago realised was a mistake many Jedi made in such situations. ?And Tahiri and I thought long and hard about doing this ? bringing Jaytee back here with us. But, the fact is, we'd like you to give him another chance.?

?Why'd we want to do that?? Tria demanded.

?Yeah,? Treetrunk muscled past her to eyeball both Anakin and Jaytee and then Tahiri, Lando and Tendra in turn. ?He's already had plenty of chances. I reckon he's used up his account.?

?He used it up ages ago,? said Tria grimly. ?If it wasn't for Rongo, he'd have been out on his skinny ass. And now here he is still standing, still with two arms and two legs, while Rongo almost didn't make it. I reckon he should use those two legs to get out of here while he still has them.?

?Yeah,? growled Taso who, along with Grunt, had followed Treetrunk over. ?We don't keep trash here.?

?Put up with it too long as it is,? added Bo joining the fray with Pania.

?Yeah,? her friend agreed..

Jaytee shrugged and began to turn back the way they'd come, catching Anakin's eye with a look of resignation. ?I'll go.? But there was something else ? something resembling . . . relief? Before Anakin could react, Tahiri had reached past Lando and grabbed the boy.

?No, you won't,? she said firmly. ?You're not going to keep running away all the time.?

?What the kriff are you two up to?? Pania exploded. ?Don't you get it? We don't want him.? She gazed around at the gathered group of angry Knights. ?Anyone here disagree??

?I do.?

If Pania had wondered at the looks of disbelief on her comrades' faces, she would have been no less dumbfounded when she turned back to see who had spoken. The silence was broken only by the faint creaking of rancor hide as various of the swoopers turned to one another in bewilderment.

?Blue?? Tria queried, a little tremulously, as if afraid he might turn out to be a Yuuzhan Vong in a masquer.

?You're nuts!? Bo exploded, anger overcoming her confusion. ?He's not one of us any more.? The statement was greeted by rumblings of approval, which were in turn articulated by the latest arrival who stalked across the room, controlled fury in her every step.

?She's right, Blue,? hissed Purr. ?He chose to sell us out to the Rancors and go against us. There's no comeback after that. He's gone.?

?He doesn't get what we're about. He never has,? Squirt added, following in Purr's wake.

Blue nodded slowly as the tirades against Jaytee continued but Anakin wasn't fooled by the swooper's apparent forbearance. Despite the steely restraint in his expression, there was an emotional battle waging behind it between the forces of revenge and of forgivenes

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    *Steals first* [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

4. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Good to see this is back in action.

Jedi acting patronizing - I think I know what he's talking about. Sorta like in ROTS Yoda telling Anakin he needed to learn to let go, and in the novel Anakin thinking he shouldn't have expected anything else from Yoda. He asked himself, and I think he used these words: whom has he ever loved? As I recall from Labyrinth of Evil and the ROTS novel, Obi-Wan was the first to begin to understand that Anakin would never be the kind of Jedi they were, and that they've made many mistakes in training Anakin in their ways - ways that he would never completely accept.

Can't blame the Rancors for their reactions. A more diplomatic solution might have been to have Jaytee stay within the neighborhood, but not in the clubhouse.

Looks as if Jaytee was expecting the Black Knights to shred him to pieces.

So Blue has the job of speaking for Rongo while he's in the hospital. Speaking of which, maybe Iliana should greet Rongo when he wakes up by wearing a nurse's uniform. Might help speed up his recovery. I could see his reaction - [face_hypnotized]=P~. Then he might be thinking it was almost worth it to see Iliana dressed up like that.

I think Tahiri nearly stepped over the line and tarnish the friendship she developed with the Black Knights. But it looks like Tahiri's developing a diplomatic edge. But her style needs a lot of polishing.

Now we come to the critical point with Jaytee - will he shape up or voluntarily ship out. Looks like if he's shipping out, it's because Rongo gave him the ticket.

Not exactly a nice analogy on Purr's part, but it did provoke an unexpected response from Jaytee.

So the final decision lies on Rongo.

Looks like Jaytee scored some points with Blue.

Boy did Purr inadvertently put Anakin and Tahiri in the hot seat with Lando. [face_laugh] I bet Anakin wanted to do this - :oops:.

No, Lando. You're just getting a small dose of what Han and Leia are going through. And you thought old age alone was the cause of their first gray hairs.

LOL at the banter when Qorl and Vehn arrived.

Anakin held his gaze for a few seconds, and then looked away, suddenly uncomfortable. It didn?t seem right somehow to be thanked when people had been injured and died. Would it ever be possible to solve situations without such losses, or was it the way of the Galaxy to be forever embroiled in some kind of conflict, some minor, some not so minor, and yet all destructive? And what really was the purpose of the Force in all this? Sometimes, it seemed to him that all the Jedi did was race around like volunteer firefighters extinguishing fires. With all their vaunted abilities of foresight and telepathic powers, no Jedi had yet found a way to be truly proactive in preventing death and destruction. Sometimes it felt as if they were trapped in an endless cycle of retrograde action.

I wonder if Luke, Cade, and who knows how many other Jedi are starting to feel like this.

Maybe you should have named Teebone Bonehead, and not just because of his hard head.

Maybe Anakin got knocked around enough that he can start flirting Tahiri at the right moments.

And just when they were about to smooch. Good timing, Lando.

?It's okay,? said Anakin, conciliatory. ?We're too tired anyway.?

Lando spluttered. ?What??

Anakin's blue eyes widened. ?To argue,? he finished, and pulled Tahiri up by the hand. ?We're just going to the kitchen to get a drink.?

Lando turned to Tendra and shook his head. ?Teenagers! For the first time in my life, I actually feel sorry for Han and Leia ? and Corran. No wonder he aged ten years after taking those two to Eriadu.?

?I think they were teasing you, my love,? Tendra pointed out.

?That's the problem. I never know if they are or not. And what's more ? they know it.?

That was beautiful! [face_laugh]

Looks like Anakin and Tahiri gave Lando and Tendra plenty of practice. Now we have to wait another 15 years or so before their kid starts

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    That was superb! :D

I loved the dance of it, the play between the voices and body-language of all the different characters - and the underlying attitudes. You handled Anakin, Tahiri, Tendra, Lando, and the various Black Knights - all somehow similar yet distinct, with Blue showing more presence than the rest - all perfectly, and I really liked how, for most of it, Jaytee was a silent, often unacknowledged absence, trying to hide.

And then the music changes, slows, and you just give us A/T, together. :cool: [face_love]

My favourite line, at least in the first half of this scene:

Anakin reached out to pull her back, but she proved harder to budge than he expected. ?Um, Tahiri, I don't know whether mutiny is the right word,? he murmured.

?Well, I don't care what's the right word,? she replied hotly. ?All I know is that, yes, Jaytee's been dumb, and he's done stuff that's very bad. I of all people know all about that ? and I'm not condoning anything he's done, so don't think I'm being all sweet and nice about it. But if I was Rongo, and I found that other people here had made a decision that it's my job to make, I'd be pretty upset, because it would mean that those people thought I was weak and didn't trust my leadership any more.?

:D [:D] The movement and language really just express the characters beautifully in lines like this, and it made me grin as well. :D [:D]

- The Imperial Ewok

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    My goodness, Yoda, you're faster than a speeding bullet. :D ;)

JA
    I agree about Anakin Skywalker. Totally. I also think that sometimes Luke sounds a bit patronising.

I laughed at your nurse's uniform idea. What is it with guys and nurses? :D

Let's face it, Tahiri is just plain blunt and to the point. LOL

Yeah Jaytee did score some points with Blue. Now he has to prove himself worthy of Blue's and Rongo's mercy.

Glad you liked Anakin's awkward moment, and also the return of the Vehn and Qorl comedy team. I've grown very fond of them.

Thanks also for the feedback on Lando's "torture-by-teen". Poor Lando.

Well I hope to show more of what might have happened sans SbS eventually. However the first thing I need to do after finishing this, is finish The Mantrusian Affair because the sequel to this will tie in a little with that as well.

It will be interesting to see if Luke has caught wind of the holo-interview won't it? ;)

Thrawn
    Hey there - great to see you here again. :) Thanks so much for the comment on the "dance". There's an inherent rhythm in the interactions between the various characters that I do try and capture in the prose and also the dialogue, as well as their movements. The various characters all have a different rhythm - some staccato, some tentative and stuttering, some smooth. That's one of the reasons it takes so long to write, as it has to "sound" right to me. The metaphors used by the characters have to match their persona etc.

Thanks also for the observation about Jaytee's "absence" and Blue coming through with more presence than the others. That's a very helpful comment.

Glad that it made you grin. I've tried to do that as often as I can, mainly to restore some OT Star Wars feel back into the storyline. :)

Thanks guys. [:D]

PS: The next chapter contains a very small hint about what Tahiri would like Anakin to get for her birthday. I hope to post it soon as I've had a better than usual "writing" weekend. :)

7. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    [face_love] Ahhhhh...it's so good to have an A/T fix! [face_love]

Lando and his guardian responsiblities. [face_laugh] Though I have to wonder if Tendra will remain so calm when it's her son with all the hormones! :p

8. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    ?Guys, it isn't that I don't respect you, you know that. But I'm assuming someone belted you both on the head, 'coz it's the only explanation for bringing that with you,? she spat, thrusting a finger to indicate Jaytee.

[face_laugh]

If Pania had wondered at the looks of disbelief on her comrades' faces, she would have been no less dumbfounded when she turned back to see who had spoken. The silence was broken only by the faint creaking of rancor hide as various of the swoopers turned to one another in bewilderment.
    ?Blue?? Tria queried

I had a feeling he might.

?Well, I don't care what's the right word,? she replied hotly. ?All I know is that, yes, Jaytee's been dumb, and he's done stuff that's very bad. I of all people know all about that ? and I'm not condoning anything he's done, so don't think I'm being all sweet and nice about it. But if I was Rongo, and I found that other people here had made a decision that it's my job to make, I'd be pretty upset, because it would mean that those people thought I was weak and didn't trust my leadership any more.?

Tahiri's very clever, appealing to the swoopers respect, and maybe a little fear of Rongo here.

Purr blew out a throaty sigh of frustration, but it was Bo who spoke up. ?I get your point, Blue. But the thing is, Jaytee knew why we were against Tag, and yet he still chose to join the Rancors and he chose to fight against us. It was like he was . . .? she struggled for a lofty analogy for a moment, but no illumination was forthcoming. She shook her head in frustration. ?It was like he was crapping on Jonno and Pet's grave.?

Purr makes a good point. That was pretty scummy of Jaytee [face_thinking]

well, they're what the medics call 'comfortable', which I reckon is a fancy way of saying drugged to the eyeballs and thinking they can fly without a spaceship.

[face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

I love it =D=

Anakin held his gaze for a few seconds, and then looked away suddenly uncomfortable. It didn't seem right somehow to be thanked when people had been injured and died. Would it ever be possible to solve situations without such losses, or was it the way of the Galaxy to be forever embroiled in some kind of conflict, some minor, some not so minor, and yet all destructive? And what really was the purpose of the Force in all this? Sometimes it seemed to him that all the Jedi did was race around like volunteer firefighters extinguishing fires. With all their vaunted abilities of foresight and telepathic powers, no Jedi had yet found a way to be truly proactive in preventing death and destruction. Sometimes it felt as if they were trapped in an endless cycle of retrograde action.

Still having trouble accepting this whole "hero" thing, huh?

Maybe that was what it was all about: balance, balance between the negative energies that fed war and the positive energy harnessed by the Jedi. And yet . . . there must be more to it than that. Surely? Maybe the answer was to overwhelm the Galaxy with more of the positive until the negative became too weak to counter it? [/o]

Loved this bit. Reminded me of some of Anakin's thoughts in Conquest.

?This is kind of an unusual gang, isn't it?? Tahiri said musingly. ?I wonder if it's because of Rongo and Blue, or if the others were drawn to them because they needed what they could give them.?
    ?What ? kind of like replacement parents and family you mean??
    ?Kind of.? She gazed around the room, munching thoughtfully. ?But there again, they seem kind of different now to how they were when we first met them?

I agree with Tahiri. The gang is sort of like a family with Rongo and Blue as the parents :p

Anakin studied her for a moment and then grinned back.
    ?What?? She wiped her nose speculatively and then rubbed at the sides of her mouth. ?I've got food stuck somewhere haven't I??

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

So cute [face_love]

Tahiri stared at him, and then reached over to tap on the side of his head. ?Nope, brain's still intact,? she muttere

9. DaveSlave1

DaveSlave1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2008
    Another great post Tahi, thank you :D

Anakins musings about being stuck in a cycle of retrograde actions was interesting, it made me ponder that perhaps it was this frustration which caused Jacen to try and 'take control' and 'make everyone safe' in LOTF (and we know how that turned out)

I also really liked the thank you exchange between Blue and Anakin, unassuming heroism as ever [face_laugh]

10. KatMom

KatMom Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2008
    Loved it :) I needed some Anakin and Tahiri sweetness. [face_love] I hope Jaytee lives up to their faith because they've sure gone out on a limb for him. Had to laugh at poor Lando. :) I've been enjoying the Lando and tendra bits btw. Can't wait for the next chapter to see what you have in store for us.

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks everyone. Before I do the replies, I'd just like to note that I've made ANOTHER edit - this time to Chapter 45. I realised that I'd kind of repeated the idea of someone thanking Anakin, and having him ask "what for?" In chapter 45 it was Lando who thanked him, so I've changed that bit and made it a bit more ambiguous - so that way I can leave the little interchange with Blue in the last chapter.

I seem to be picking up a few things like that lately. If you notice slip-ups or repetitions, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. With the sequel I'll try and keep several chapters ahead so I can pick up such glitches before I post!

TSF
    Glad you liked your fix. :) Will Tendra be so calm with her own boy? I doubt it. LOL

Yoda
    Yep, Tahiri IS pretty on to it. That's one of the many things I like about her.

Anakin will never get used to being a hero - even though he wants to be one in the sense of saving people, he doesn't want to be lauded for it. That's one of the many things I like about him. :)

And yes, the Knights are more than just a gang, as the ending I hope will show. :)

That's a great picture of Han. [face_love] Charm, thy name is Han.

Lando is the new Threepio!
    YES! :D I'm so glad you caught that allusion.

Glad you liked old Lando's part in this. I've had some fun with him in this story - poor guy.

I guess I'm glad they've mostly forgiven Jaytee and allowed him back in the Knights, even if he is a little jerk
    Yes - Jaytee has a lot to atone for, but at least he knows it. And he knows there are people who believe he can do it.

Thanks for the lovely feedback. [:D]

DaveSlave
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed the post. :)

Yes, I think you're on the button about Jacen. That's what makes it all so sad, because I believe he was terribly frustrated that the Jedi couldn't bring order and balance and justice. He had such good intentions, but in trying to MAKE his ideal come true, he forgot about the whole free will thing - plus IMO he became so obsessed that he lost his humanity.

Unassuming heroism - I like that. It sums up Anakin and Tahiri so well. :)

KatMom
    Hey again. :) Yes - hopefully Jaytee WILL live up to their faith.

Glad you like the Lando/Tendra bits. The next chapter is nearly finished - so hopefully you won't have to wait too long. :)

Thanks again, guys. [:D] I appreciate all the comments a lot.

I have a treat for you. Glitbiter has done an awesome pic of Lando and Tendra and is allowing me to post it here.

[image=http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9735/13landoandtendraoq9.jpg]

I love the look on Tendra's face. :)

If you'd like to check out Glitbiter's other art, the thread is HERE

12. -DDR-

-DDR- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2007
    I tell you,Tahi, you made my day with that. :) Your characters are drawn with a lot of empathy, really human or real. Purr's becoming a favorit and I like that she doesn't give up on her own opinions easily. They're all quite different too, and I see you sneak in bits about their backgrounds, or their characteristics for the ones who aren't human. (Like Purr's whiskers and a few chapter ago her feline-like eyes.)

Yeah - Anakin likes to hide his heroism. :) Cool chapter. =D=

13. Jastal

Jastal Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2008
    Another awsome chapter Tahi. It's always a pleasure to read your work.

Ever since Jaytee showed up at the end of the last chapter I was waiting for someone to play the "What would Rongo do" card:D

Thank you very much for the PM, sorry it took this long to read though. And even though I have a pretty good idea what Tahri wants Anakin to get her for her birthday I'm looking forward to the next chapter to find out if I'm right.

14. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I love the Lando and Tendra pic! :D =D=

15. Mousie

Mousie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Wow...... :) that cuddle was just [face_love] If only this what we'd been given instead of SbS :mad: that's one of the reasons I love this story.

The scene with Jaytee was really good, I liked that it wasn't easy for any of them and also liked that you showed how each of them took it.... all the black knights are very human and real and they're all individuals. Purr is great but maybe that's because I like cats. :D Lando and Vehn are really funny.... I'm wondering what Vehn and Quorl are going to do after this??? Will we find out?

The drawing by Glitbiter is cool, wow again. :)

16. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    hello everyone

It has been a very very long time since I have been on this forum, life kinda of took over and I drifted away

But I have been fighting a flue like bug for the past week+ and well took some time to go and find some old favorites that I just havent had the time to visit in a while

so great work, took me most of two days to catch up on this story, but it did occupy my time well

hope you are all doing well, cant believe how long its been since I've been here so much has happened but I think I will try and be around here a lil more often from now on

and again great work, your action scenese were amazing, the turn around of Jaytee was fantastic, took him a while to get his life in line and sorted out, and I can honestly say you have done a great job nailing all of the other charectors

love how you right A/T part of the reason I think I drifted from this forum is I have drifted away from Star Wars after Star By Star just havent overly been thrilled with where the books have gone, I still read them but its just not the same any more

so again great work, hope all is well, and I will try and pop in here a lil more often then once every 4-5 years or whatever the hell its been since i was last here

keep up the great work, gotta wander around the forum a bit tommorrow since it looks like I have one more day before i start working again

17. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    DDR
    Hey there. :) Thanks for the lovely feedback - and so glad you like Purr. I'm a cat lover - so Purr has been a fun character to write. There's not a lot about Trianii to go on, but what there is I have tried to stay true to. Thanks for the comment about the backstories on the OCs, too, as it's nice to know readers like to find out a bit about them. :)

Jastal
    Hi there, and thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. :)

Ever since Jaytee showed up at the end of the last chapter I was waiting for someone to play the "What would Rongo do" card
    I was very happy that you thought that because it means that the role of Rongo in the swooper's lives - his mana as a leader - has come through. (Mana - a Maori word, and hard to give an English equivalent, but it kind of means a person's standing in the eyes of others, and the respect they engender due to how they are rather than who they are.) :)

There is no need to apologise about lateness! I'm the worst offender for that. Taking nearly 6 years to write this story must be some kind of record for always being late with posts. :D I appreciate you reading and reviewing whether late or early. :)

Ooh - and I'm interested that you think you know what Tahiri wants. That's cool. :)

Yoda
    It's a great pic isn't it? Glitbiter is a fantastic artist.

Mousie
    You like cats? :) Yay. Me, too.

I guess the motivation to write this story was SbS and my extreme displeasure with it - so if MHR has helped make up for SbS in even a small way, then I'm happy. :)

Glad you liked the cuddle. ;) It's nice to be able to write some romance after all that fighting! LOL

forceaddict!!!! [:D]
    This is awesome. You've so made my day - no make that my week, month, year . . . :D Seriously - I couldn't believe it when I saw you'd posted here. I've often wondered how you were and what you were doing? Do you still play football? Remember the Death Star Disco Lounge? Those were good days, eh?

just havent overly been thrilled with where the books have gone, I still read them but its just not the same any more
    I'm with you there. I pretty much read for context just so I know hat's going on.

But it's great to have you back, and I'm chuffed that you found this story again. I'm sorry to hear you aren't well, though. Get better soon.

It will be lovely if you can drop in from time to time. This story is on its last few chapters - at last!!! LOL - so it's extra cool to have one of the original readers back.

Thanks everyone - next chapter coming soon. Just editing it now. :)

18. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I don't know if the worry a father has for his daughter exists between a mother and her son, but I think Lando's view would be to encourage his son. And as for any worries, Lando might have this reaction:

I recall an episode of Good Times where J.J. said, "I'm going out on my date, and it looks like it's going to be a long night."

After he leaves, his mother, Florida, asked her husband, James Sr., "Aren't you worried about him?"

"It ain't my daughter he's taking out."

"Well he's going out with someone's daughter."

"Then let her father worry about him."

19. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    Hey Tahi

nope my football days are past me, used up all my eligibilty, we actually went 5-5 my last year and I was a 2nd team all conference selction

really miss playing it was a part of my life for so long, it was weird not playing but I am starting to get used to it, to fill my need to compete at something I now play poker, its fun and I make money most the time, and that is where my non working time goes

since I am done with school now, after it took me 5 years I am actually out in the work force I work for a Financial Company, and substitute teach when I am too busy at the other job, it keeps me busy and out of trouble

I am really kinda glad I got sick and had so much time on my hands, I really loved this story and it was great reading it again, cant believe its almost done though, (there will be a sequal right???) I just really like the way you write you have the charectors nailed perfectly, and I think it was such a waste what they did with Anakin, there was so much potential there and they wasted it, such a shame, I think the books have gone down hill since then, they are still good, and I still love some of the charectors, but its just not the same any more

keep up the great work, I will be around

I remember the good old days at the Disco Lounge(when did that thing finally die? or is it still clinging to some sort of life?)

any way I hope everything is ok with you

20. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    JA
    Loved the quote from Good Times - there's a certain satisfaction in inflicting worry on some other poor sucker! :D

force
    Still excited that you're back here. :) Not sure what 5-5 means, but congrats on being selected for the all conference second team.

Poker! Oooh - I might use you as a resource person if I need sabacc info and lingo. ;) I'm useless at poker - my face is an open book. LOL

Yeah - I hate what they did to Anakin and Tahiri. A huge waste. Yes - there will be a sequel - a duology probably. Working on plans and brainstorms.

No - we finally closed the Lounge after 4 episodes. That was a lot of fun. It would be good to do something like that again some time. :)

Anyway - for once NOT three months late :D - here's another chapter. It's kind of a "filling in some of the gaps" chapter, so hopefully it won't be too boring. And there's a tiny hint in there about Tahiri's hoped for present.

[b]Chapter 49[/b]

If Colonel Toberof felt out of place sitting in the swoopers' common room, with its battered looking bar and the occasional telltale sign of blaster-scorching on the walls, he didn't look it. Nor did Lieutenant Chastin, although initially Anakin had noticed the man's gaze wandering around the room, pausing here and there, as if he might be divining something about the characters of the Black Knights from their environment. It would have been impossible to read his conclusions from his expression, but Anakin didn't catch any negative taint in the man's emotions.

?I thought you'd like to know that we've already spoken to Dajira Tag,? Toberof was saying, ?And that her story and yours has been corroborated by one Kasen Tahke, whom we discovered unconscious in one of the office rooms at the front of the warehouse.?

Anakin and Tahiri exchanged quizzical looks. ?Don't know if we met him,? said Anakin.

?He was Tag's accountant ? harmless little man really, except he'd let himself get caught up in Tag's paranoia. One of the sad facts of human and non-human nature alike it seems ? no matter how crazy the leader, there will always be a bunch of followers willing to be deceived.?

?It's because everyone's scared,? Anakin observed sagely. ?And the Yuuzhan Vong have been pretty convincing in their claims that it's us, the Jedi, they want. ?People think that all they have to do is hand over a Jedi and they'll be safe. Even some of the politicians believe them?

Toberof nodded, his shrewd gaze flicking from Anakin to Tahiri and then back again. ?You're fighting a war on two fronts,? he said. ?I sympathise.?

Anakin snorted and Tahiri nodded grimly. ?It doesn't make it easy, that's for sure,? Anakin sighed.

?But we're not going to give up,? Tahiri added, eliciting an appreciative look from Toberof.

?So I see,? he said, and shifted his weight on the old wooden chair making it squeak in protest.

Anakin studied the Balmorran Intelligence man for a moment, unaware that his serious expression made his face seem much older than that of a seventeen-year-old boy. ?I have a question to ask you, if that's okay??

Toberof glanced at Chastin. ?You're wondering why it's us you're dealing with and not the Dinarran Security Police?? Toberof suggested.

?Uh . . . yeah.? He couldn't stifle the surprise in his reply, a fact that seemed to amuse both men, although again the change in their expressions was minimal.

?I thought you might ask that, eventually,? said Toberof. ?Perhaps Lieutenant Chastin might be able to fill in some details.?

?Certainly,? the younger man replied smoothly. ?The truth is the BIS has had its suspicions about Bomar Tag's activities for a few months. First it was because of a rumour that he was propagating sympathy for the Peace Brigade within the local council here in Dinarra, and then, more recently, a local group opposed to the Peace Brigade sprang up and started to point the finger at him. They organised a protest outside Tag's factory with posters and slogans that suggested Tag was in cahoo

21. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    First again [face_mischief]

22. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    So Toberof starts to tie-up the web Bomar weaved across Dinarra and Balmorra.

So the coward finally saw the light, but only after Tag was out of the picture.

Might not have been diplomatically proper, but I think Anakin should have told Toberof what his father suggested to Luke after Duro fell - gather up the Jedi and head to the Unknown Regions. I think Anakin also wanted to say what those politicians could do with themselves, but he was in mixed company.

So now we learn where BIS has been during all this - gathering evidence and connecting the dots, but not fast enough, as Anakin, Tahiri, and the Black Knights had to take matters into their own hands to save Lando and the others.

?I can smell lunch, and I?m really hungry.? - Wait a minute. I think you got things mixed up here. I thought Anakin was the one who had a healthy appetite and couldn't stop snacking.

Now that one crisis is over, Anakin can focus on a delayed, and potentially more dangerous crisis - Tahiri's birthday present.

Politics might need Toberof, but who'd look after planetary security?

I would have thought Doc and Squid would have gone to the city mortuary.

I can see Chukka and Shorty falling asleep during the interview.

Looks like Qorl has Neijal in his targeting reticle.

I think some of the Black Knights got some dirt on some of the other Black Knights and will be enjoying it for some time to come.

Dajira bringing cookies and sweets - a peace offering?

I didn't get why everyone started leaving, but why do I get the feeling Anakin's in trouble with Tahiri, and it's over a certain Twi'lek who'd been crushing on him. A prelude to a similar situation in the near future? Or did Anakin finally figure out what Tahiri wanted for her birthday?

Looks like Chukka tried to make a pass, only to be shot down by Purr. And it seems he and Shorty are showing they have father potential. A plus for future girlfriends.

I think this story is starting to come to an end.

23. DaveSlave1

DaveSlave1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2008
    Lovely post again, i think Qorl deserves some love after all the lonliness. :)

24. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    great work as always Tahi

your writing style is just incredible, your devlopment of the charectors is great, they way everything has flowed together is amazing, sad that this story is almost over, but glad there will be a sequal

the way you keep everything light and humerous even with everything that is going around them is just fantastic, truely reminds me of the old Rogue Squadron stories, and they were some of my favorites, just keep up th great work

5 wins 5 losses my last year, those 5 wins were 1 more then my first 3 years playing at my school, which is sad but shows that we at least improved, we also knocked off the number 2 team in our division which is quite a feat as they used to just own us

guess the lounge had to go eventually how many of those lounge members are still hanging around here, since I am working now again, having finally kicked this sickness my time is limited again, and I am trying to catch up on some other stories so not sure when I will be able to fully explore this place again, but I saw the FADA is still fighting, which is good to see

well again keep up the great work

25. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yoda
    You win. :)

JA
    Indeed, you're right about the BIS. A bit slow but they got there in the end. ;)

Now that one crisis is over, Anakin can focus on a delayed, and potentially more dangerous crisis - Tahiri's birthday present.
    Ha ha - oh yes. He's on very shaky ground there.

Doc and Squid were taken away initially to the hospital but then released to their "family". Balmorran swooper custom. :)

Yes Qorl is quite taken with Neijal. I've also had a few hints that Blue's attracted to Dajira - back in those pre-fight chapters. (Hence him leaving to go to the kitchen to talk to "Anakin". ;) )

Yes - poor Dajira is feeling very guilty still, so it will take some special work to convince her she's not to blame . . . ;) and not just from Vilco.

Poor Chukka. He's a bit overcome with the moment and the reality of his own mortality I think. And Purr would look kind of cute holding the baby. LOL

Thanks for the great feedback. :)

DaveSlave
    Thanks - and yes, Qorl has had a long lonely life, poor old guy. He needs some sweetness.

force
    Thanks for the lovely feedback. :) The comparison with the Rogue Squadron books is a huge compliment so thanks. I love those books - really love them (and the Wraith Squadron books.) I always felt they were very true to the Star Wars of the orginal trilogy in mood and essential storylines.

Hey thanks for the explanation of the football lingo. :) Your game is a wee bit different from our national game of rugby, so it's interesting to get more info on it. :)

The Lounge folk have pretty much gone I think - although they might be still around in Literature. I don't have time to go there any more. :( But yes, FADA is still going. :)

Thanks again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.