main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Many Happy Returns - On hiatus due to bereavement - new message 11/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    Tahi

Ya we had a great time at the park, and the Chow was fun when we had to watch him, very smart and protective dogs, part of the reason I love dogs

glad the part went well, and kids are really funny at that age, my lil cousin is two and a half and after singing a couple songs the other day says "I next American Idol", it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen

hope all is well
    forceaddict

2. -DDR-

-DDR- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2007
    Glad to hear things are good with you Tahi. Looking forward to when you post. :)

3. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Force
    Your little couisn sounds very cute. Kids do say funny things. :D

Dogs are pretty cool. I'm more of a cat person really, but I've had quite a few dogs as well, and have to say that they can be real characters. They can also be very good protectors. :) Even being more into cats, I still get very attached to my doggies.

DDR
    Thanks. And I managed to get a good day's writing today with no interruptions! Something of a first this year as there's been stuff happening every weekend so far. So I'm hoping to keep up the momentum now and get chapter 52 up next weekend. Fingers crossed. :)

Thanks again for the support - from all of you.

4. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    What he said :D

5. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    hey Tahi, never minded cats, cats can be fun, and they can be damn funny too at times, but I just love the friendship a dog brings to the table, cats are normally loners a lot more so then dogs, both can be great, and I wouldnt mind either but I think that I would have to get a dog first

hope all is well, cant wait for the next post, no hurry I know life can be tough

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Sorry to be so late. It's my husband's grandmother's 100th birthday coming up so I've been helping with the organisation for that, and hence the writing time has diminished. But 100 is sure something to celebrate. :)

Yoda and Force
    Thanks for the ups. :)

Anyway here's chapter 52: He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

[b]Chapter 52[/b]

The common room was already full when Anakin and Tahiri followed Rongo, Blue and Iliana in, and just for a second the two young Jedi were transported back to the first time they'd entered the room ? not long after their encounter with Rongo and some of the Knights in the alleyway. It was hard to believe that only two and a half days had passed since then. With all that had happened, it felt more like a year.

Just as at that first meeting, Anakin could almost taste the complex interplay of the swoopers' emotions in the Force, but this time there was none of the strident conflict between bilious hostility, the citric tang of curiosity, and chlorine cynicism. This time overarching the bitter-sweet tinctures of struggling acceptance, honest respect and gratitude, there was a melancholic harmony. It was sad and yet inspiring, and as he glanced around at the faces of the swoopers, of Vilco and Dajira, Neijal, Jassif and their children, of Vehn and Qorl, and Lando and Tendra, his throat tightened - and yet he felt an overwhelming sense of hope. The reason was too huge to capture in words, but it was something to do with unconditional love and commonality of purpose ? folk from all walks of life finding the humility and courage to brush their differences aside and work together for the betterment of all. No matter the cost to self.

There had been far too many examples of the opposite lately in the galaxy: selfish cowardice and corrupt politicking. And yet, in this moment, it seemed that the Force sang, sorrowful but beautiful, and infinite . . . essential, holistic. A melody that knew no separation between the newly dead or the living, or those who had gone before.

It struck him that there was another lesson hiding in these thoughts, and also an eerie feeling that he'd touched something transcendent. He shivered, and felt Tahiri's fingers squeeze his ? and turned to her, reassuring her silent query with a soft smile. But the feeling that, just momentarily, he'd brushed a level of the Force well beyond his current understanding was too disturbingly real to ignore. The sound of Rongo clearing his throat, however, suggested it would have to be filed away for contemplation later, and he focused his attention on the tall Balmorran.

It was impossible not to admire the man's grit as he stood, upright and composed, slowly scanning the faces of the group assembled there. Anakin could feel Rongo struggling to overcome the weakness resulting from his injuries, but his face gave no inkling. He may have been just the leader of a small gang, which, in the grand scheme of things, was so inconsequential it was almost laughable; but that was not how the man appeared in the Force. There he was a giant, a bright beacon that relegated people of much greater significance into the murky shadows.

?First of all,? Rongo began, ?I'm gonna say thank you to all of you for being here today, and also for taking the time to tidy yourselves up, because I know that most of you would have been a mess.? He acknowledged the twitters and grunts of laughter, albeit muted, with a faint grin and a nod, taking a breath before continuing. ?I'm, as you all know, not much of a speech-maker, so I'm gonna apologise now if my words ain't as clever as maybe some of you could come up with. But I am gonna say what I feel, and I figure that's what counts.? He gazed around the group again as if almost challenging them ? a gesture, Anakin surmised, that was no doubt a necessary habit of leadership in the hierarchical world of swooper politics. There were, of course, no dissenters - just murmurs of agreement, that Rongo acknowledged solemnly before continuing.

?We're here today to pay our respects to

7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    It's my husband's grandmother's 100th birthday coming up so I've been helping with the organisation for that, and hence the writing time has diminished. But 100 is sure something to celebrate.

Wow, that's incredible! :eek: Happy Birthday to your Grandmother-in-law :D

Anyway here's chapter 52: He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Beautiful @};-

It was sad and yet inspiring, and as he glanced around at the faces of the swoopers, of Vilco and Dajira, Neijal, Jassif and their children, of Vehn and Qorl, and Lando and Tendra, his throat tightened - and yet he felt an overwhelming sense of hope.

Sounds like everyone's there.

It struck him that there was another lesson hiding in these thoughts, and also an eerie feeling that he'd touched something transcendent. He shivered, and felt Tahiri's fingers squeeze his ? and turned to her, reassuring her silent query with a soft smile. But the feeling that, just momentarily, he'd brushed a level of the Force well beyond his current understanding was too disturbingly real to ignore. The sound of Rongo clearing his throat, however, suggested it would have to be filed away for contemplation later,

Interesting [face_thinking] I hope we get back to that before the end of the story.

There he was a giant, a bright beacon that relegated people of much greater significance into the murky shadows.

Love that metaphor =D= Some people are just like that.

?For some of us, Doc and Squid were brothers; for others here, they were comrades and friends ? that friendship coming about through common need and a common goal, and in a way making us all brothers. And it was because they knew what brotherhood meant, because they both had the courage to stand with all of us, that they paid the ultimate price. But although they've both fallen in battle, they won't be forgotten. No way. They'll live on in each of us here and here.? With his remaining hand he indicated heart and head.
    ?And that's not just pretty words. I carry Jonno and Pet around with me all the time, everywhere I go. They're as much a part of me as me.?

Beautifully written, Tahi :_| I always think putting things in very simple terms in these moments has the most emotional impact, and you've done a great job of having Rongo lay those out.

Anakin could see a sad smile softening the taught, pain-filled lines on Rongo's face as he turned his attention back to the Tunroth. ?You always put the Knights first, Squid, and I guess that's what got you in the end ? but we ain't going to forget you. Muss here is still with us thanks to you, and there ain't no greater sacrifice a brother can give than what you gave.? He spat on his palm and reached over to clasp one of Squid's still, three-fingered hands. ?Rest easy, brother. And all honour to you.?

=D= :( @};-

?I tried to come up with some real neat way of talking about Doc, but I couldn't do it, and I realised that there ain't no words I could give you that would be adequate. Doc was Doc ? and that's enough. There ain't none of you he hasn't helped out in some way ? either teaching you what respect means, bullying you into trying things you were too scared to try yourselves, or initiating you into that beautiful world of things that light up and go bang. You thought you knew how to shoot ? Doc showed you how to do it better and with style. You thought you were pretty hot ? Doc taught you that little virtue folks call humility. You though the Knights'd be lucky to have you ? well, Doc soon showed you just how lucky you were that the Knights'd put up with you.?

Loved that whole section. Doc was such a great character.

?Just like Muss owes Squid for his life, I owe Doc for mine. That's a big debt, and I tell you, that kind of thing changes you ? changes the way you think about yourself. It makes you realise that you've gotta live the kind of life that's worth them dying for you. But more than that, it's a gift ? the greatest gift anybody could ever gi

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Nice to see you're back. For a while I thought you were somehow caught up in the wildfires that are going on down there.

100, huh? I guess the centennials are becoming more common these days, but what might be more impressive is that she's a great-great-grandmother. Thinking about that brings to mind something you're probably going through. One of your kids is having trouble with his or her own child. He or she turns to you and says, "Mom, can you give me a hand here?" In response, you say the same thing Obi-Wan said to Anakin in an episode of The Clone Wars several weeks ago when Anakin was being grilled by Ahsoka for letting Dooku get away: "Oh, no. I'm enjoying this too much."

So Anakin momentarily felt again the new depth of the Force that he did while putting the lambent into his lightsaber in Conquest.

The speech Rongo gave was well done, as were Anakin's and Tahiri's.

So in some ways, Doc was Rongo's conscience.

I was going to ask what you meant about the Black Knights teaching the Jedi a thing or two about brotherhood, but I guess you're referring to how the Jedi were divided on how to deal with the Vong until Coruscant fell.

Grammar error - to the Neijal and Jassif. I think you meant Neijal and Jassif or the Mantrusians.

Don't know if I should be surprised that the security guards were there, considering they and the Black Knights would normally be on opposite sides of the law, so as to speak.

Seems that Dajira's going to be feeling the weight of guilt for some time. Sorta like how Anakin did over Chewie's death.

Another error - it's Dae'sharacor.

Squid's antics at the nuna farm - [face_laugh]

I'm a little surprised Tahiri was willing to let Anakin give her gift to him to Squid and Doc. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he's out of danger yet - he still needs to come up with a gift to Tahiri.

Talk about unexpected developments - Vehn's ship getting a major overhaul, and Blue and Dajira getting together.

There is hope. Hope for what - that Tahiri will "shape" Anakin to be what she wants him to be? Maybe she should have focused on getting Anakin's head clear of guilt and self-recrimination, since they were strong motives behind his proposal for the Myrkr mission, which was foolish for him to have suggested, foolish for them to have undertaken, and foolish for Luke, their parents, and the other Jedi to allow to occur in the first place.

9. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    a beautiful and sad post.

wonderfully great job Tahi!

10. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    :_| :_| Beautiful, Tahi. One of the most heartrendingly sad but beautifully written pieces I've ever read. Wonderful!

11. forceaddict

Sep 20, 2002
    Great post as always Tahi

you captured the emotions amazingly, sad and mournful, yet resolved and determined to move on, and still a little light and humorous, perfect blend for that type of group

more great growth shown in Jaytee

and as always you have Anakin and Tahi down perfectly

hope all is going well for you, and wow 100, thats impressive

you continue to be better and better everytime you post, look forward to more

~Force

12. DaveSlave1

DaveSlave1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2008
    Beautiful post Tahi, I particularly thought your writing about Rongo was fantastic, Especially the part about him being a beacon in the force. It kept coming to mind what a contrast he is with Borsk Fey'la, he has all of the kindness, compassion and conviction that Fey'la lacked. Superb, thank you.

13. -DDR-

-DDR- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2007
    Moving, inspiring and a great send off for Doc and Squid. Awesome. Rongo could teach people like Fey'lya a few things about leadership that's for sure. Blue's tale about Squid was cool and just the kind of story that gets told at a funeral. It was great to see everyone there....part of your whole theme of friendship and inclusiveness? Really enjoyed Anakin's speech, and Tahiri's was just that bit different and typically Tahiri. I like your Tahiri....very complex.

Really enjoyed that chapter, Tahi and am looking forward to whatever you have next. :)

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yoda
    Yes indeed. 100 is incredible. I keep thinking of all the changes she's seen in her life and wonder at how she just accepts it all and goes with it. A wonderful lady. Salt of the earth as they say. :)

Interesting ... I hope we get back to that before the end of the story.
    I'm afraid that's me setting things up for the sequel. I intend to explore the "Force being part of something greater" idea in Conquest to the full. :)

Glad you liked the metaphor. :) And thanks.

I always think putting things in very simple terms in these moments has the most emotional impact, and you've done a great job of having Rongo lay those out.
    Well, of course Rongo is a no-frills kind of guy who says things as he sees them. He's not a fancy speaker, but he feels things deeply, so what he does say actually means something. It's honest. :) So it was more a case of writing it the way I think Rongo would have said it.

Loved that whole section. Doc was such a great character.
    Thanks. [:D]

I'm really going to miss Dajira and Vilco when this is all over too. It must be very difficult for Dajira, feeling that sense of responsibility because it was her father doing these monstrous things, even though she had nothing to do with it sad Must be almost impossible to look all the swoopers in the face right now for her.
    She's still struggling. I think she's finding the hardest thing is forgiving herself - even though they've tried to convince her that she shouldn't take his guilt on to herself. But it's human to do so.

Do you hear that JACEN!?
    LOL :D he's too busy trying to escape Alema's clutches in the great Sith netherworld. ;)

I especially liked Tahiri's words about Doc.

And Blue's story was awesome! grin My favorite one, I think.

Cool - thanks. It was quite a hard chapter to write due to all the speaking that had to go on. I worried about keeping the pace going.

Who'd have thunk it?
    Let's hope it continues.

That was a lot to go through just for a free tune-up
    :D Poor old Vehn. Life's a . . . female dog sometimes.

Tahiri's always picking on poor Anakin
    But, he's such a thicko sometimes. :D And anyway - someone has to do it.

a reminder that life goes on. It ended up being a very happy chapter in that way.
    I'm glad you thought that - so thanks. As I said - a hard chapter in some ways. I was concerned that the grief aspect might overwhelm it, but had to be careful not to allow the levity to turn it into bathos.

Thanks so much for the helpful feedback. :)

JA
    I live in New Zealand, not Australia, so no fires here thank goodness. They were terrible. And of course further north they had floods. Crazy. That's global warming for you though. And I expect it will get worse. :(

Giggled at your quote from Obi-Wan. :D

So Anakin momentarily felt again the new depth of the Force that he did while putting the lambent into his lightsaber in Conquest.
    Yes he did. :)

Thanks for the comments on the speeches. :) I guess Doc was a kind of conscience for Rongo - but also he provoked him when necessary, and gave him critique. Although Doc mighthave seen it more as knocking sense into him. LOL

I was going to ask what you meant about the Black Knights teaching the Jedi a thing or two about brotherhood, but I guess you're referring to how the Jedi were divided on how to deal with the Vong until Coruscant fell.
    Yes. [face_neutral] They'd become quite factional and divided. A divided house will always fall.

Thanks for picking up those glitches. Imust have been having a blonde day. ;)

Glad you liked the tale of Squid and the nunas.

I'm a little surprised Tahiri was willing to let Anakin give her gift to him to Squid and Doc. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he's out of danger yet - he still needs to come up with a gift to Tahiri.
    Anakin likes to live life dangerously it seems. :D

Hope for what - that Tahiri will "shape" Anakin to be what she wan

15. KatMom

KatMom Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2008
    Oh that was lovely, sad but lovely. I thought it was interesting how Anakin felt the Force in the room through his taste sense. And looking back I see that you often have Tahiri feel it with her sense of smell. It's nice to think that the Jedi have different ways of feeling the Force. :) Do you do that on purpose? The characters of Blue and Rongo came through strongly here. I would love to see these characters again. (hint hint ;)

That was worth the wait. And Tahi congratulations to your grandmother on getting to 100. I hope the party goes well but I'm sure it will. :)

16. The_Samurai

The_Samurai Jedi Master

Mar 31, 2006
    Another excellent section, Tahi. Sad but happy at the same time, just as a funeral should be under the circumstances. The tributes were extremely well written, each one adding a different take to the situation. Far too many good lines to mention individually, but enough to say that it was very nice, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm looking forward to more.

17. Mousie

Mousie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    I was ready with tissues and it was just as well......sniffle sniffle, but like the others have said it was a happy kind of sad. Just like a real life funeral. Rongos speech was awesome and I agree about him knowing how to lead people.
    I wonder if things will be different for the gang now.....they've kind of proved that they're really valuable people now, better than people like Tag anyway who have a 'good' reputation.
    I really loved this chapter, it was very emtional.

You asked in your pm about ideas we'd like in the sequal......I'd like Anakin and Tahiri to end up married or at least heading that way. I'd like to have some of those ideas that were in Conquest and Rebirth about Anakin and Tahiri being very strong together being used and maybe Ikrit appearing to them like Obi-Wan did to Luke. Please no dumb suicide missions :D but I trust you not to do that to us. I'm thinking you're going to use the idea of Anakin getting a deeper understanding of the Force. That would be cool becasue that was what I thought was going to happen after I read Conquest and Rebirth.
    Anyway those are some things I thought of. :)

18. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    KatMom
    Yes - that is done on purpose. I kind of figure they would all sense it slightly differently. And there is a reason why I chose that aprticular method for Tahiri. [face_whistling]

Glad you like Blue and Rongo. :)

And yes - 100 is a big achievement. It should be a lot of fun for her to have everyone there. :) Thanks.

Samurai

Another excellent section, Tahi. Sad but happy at the same time, just as a funeral should be under the circumstances.
    Thanks. It made me sad to write it, too. I get fond of certain OCs.

Thanks for noting that point about the tributes - it was a kind of method of filling a few gaps. I also wanted to emphasise that Doc and Squid meant a lot to different members of the game, but in different ways.

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback. :)

Mousie
    Thanks - and glad you liked Rongo's tribute.

I wonder if things will be different for the gang now.....they've kind of proved that they're really valuable people now, better than people like Tag anyway who have a 'good' reputation.
    I agree - they have proved themselves. I think things will change a bit for them, though exactly how waits to be seen.

I'd like Anakin and Tahiri to end up married or at least heading that way. I'd like to have some of those ideas that were in Conquest and Rebirth about Anakin and Tahiri being very strong together being used
    I want to explore some of the things that the EoV books raised - especially the whole idea of "together". :) EoV will be very much the springboard.

maybe Ikrit appearing to them like Obi-Wan did to Luke.
    What a cool idea. :)

Please no dumb suicide missions grin but I trust you not to do that to us.
    You're far too trusting .. . [face_devil]

I'm thinking you're going to use the idea of Anakin getting a deeper understanding of the Force.
    Yes. :)

That would be cool becasue that was what I thought was going to happen after I read Conquest and Rebirth.
    Me, too. What a big letdown that was!

Thanks so much for those comments - they were very helpful. [:D]

Thanks for reading - guys. And please - do feel free to either PM me with things you'd like to have happen or not happen. I can't guarantee to use it all - but it's helpful to me to get a feel for what others value, and what would be useful to explore.

19. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Very touching, Tahi!
    And it cracked me up that Anakin had missed the little romance right in front of him. :p

20. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hi TSF - great to see you. [:D]

Yes - poor old Anakin. He's as blind as a bat sometimes. :D Fortunately he has Tahiri to keep him straight. :)

Thanks for reading.

21. Mousie

Mousie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    I'm glad you found the ideas useful. :)

You're far too trusting .. .
    Tell me you're kidding me!!!! I'm sure you are [face_worried] ;) and yes it was a big disappointment the way the things that looked promising in the Greg Keye's books got kind of forgotten by the other writers.
    I'm looking forawrd to the next post... :)

22. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hi again Mousie. :)

:D I guess you'll have to wait to find out if I'm kidding or not. Mwahaha

There were a lot of interesting avenues raise in the EoV series, so it will be fun to explore them. :)

Thnaks again.

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Apologies for the delay - I was bitten by some story and poem bugs that wouldn't let go until I wrote them. [face_blush] But I promise that the next post is my next priority, and shouldn't be too much longer.

24. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    No need to apologize when you're posting other awesome stuff ;) Looking forward to the new post though :D

25. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks Yoda. :) I'd been trying to be good and not get distracted, but I guess badness is just too much a habit to break. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.