main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade as Arica Costume.

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Aiel, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Hi! Umm, I was wondering if anyone could help me with info about the Arica costume, my friends and I over at the SAFF, (South Australian Fan Force) are organising a float for a Christmas Pagent, and we're thinking of doing the sail barge.

You can check out our progress here:

And I'm thinking of attempting the Arica costume. Has anyone else tried it and could you offer me some advice?

Thank-you sooo much.

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Which version are you doing? The comic version or the CCG version?
    My Mara-fanatic friend of mine is doing the comic version and I am just starting the CCG version.

3. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Hothgirl has completed the Decipher version
    here is a picture from the Rebel Legion website. I believe she has since redone it making it better, but you would need to get the details from her.

http://www.rebellegion.com/images/cos/851-A.jpg

4. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Hothgirl's is very similar to the one I'm attempting:

[image=http://www.starwars.hu/pix/enciklopedia/vilaga/karakterek/mara_jade/arica.jpg]

I've decided to go for just a plain black leotard rather then the see-through material but I am after the thigh-high boots if I can get them, I've been scouring E-bay and have found some possibilities.

5. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Do you really think that they are thigh high boots? They look too tight on her legs. I've taken them to be thigh high opaque stockings and that's what I'm going to use. No idea what the actual shoes are like, however. I figured that I would make boots similar to what Leia wears.

6. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    I saw the name Arica in the list and I instantly thought at a great pin-up Arica picture I saw at this website *scroll down*. I used it to practice my coloring skills on at the time.

7. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    My version was done in a really big hurry and I've since picked up a netting that will show up much, much better and found a nude color swimwsuit fabric for the 'suit'. (Good time to find it since it's in season!) That suit was done with cotton (no stretch at all), a very poor choice but as I said, it was in a hurry. ;)

I would also be inclinded to agree with Jade-Walker that those are thigh-high stockings and not boots. (Mine were stockings) Though you may be able to find some sort of boots that would work.

8. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    :oops:I forgot about that pin-up picture, they do look like soft boots with stockings, this is a total relief, I hate thigh-high boots, I'm still tossing up between the all black leotard or the skin colour under the thin fabric.

It's November in Aussie land so it's going to be pretty much summer here, so I'm thinking maybe just the black, don't want to over heat and faint.

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I've got most of the net bodysuit done. I'm going to wait to cut around the legs until I have the skirt done.
    I have those stick-on bra cups that I'll wear under the costume. But I'm trying to figure out how I want to make the "hand" decorations over the bust currently. I'm sure I'll figure it out since I was deciding on how I wanted to cut the front of the "skirt" the day before. I finally decided that I'm going to have the front flare at the bottom to give the front of the skirt a bit more body. I also am likely going to make the back of the shirt a bit more generous. It will move around anyways.

What I can't decide on is how to hem the skirts. I have a satin fabric and was thinking of doubling the fabric up, but I think it will loose too much of the fluidity. I'll have to play around with it a bit.

10. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Maybe you can use the kind of paper you can print textile logo's on? And Iron it on, it's worth the try :) . Good luck with the skirt, can't wait to see the pics of the finished costume (no, I'm not rushing you, lol)

11. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I want to have it done in time for Wizard World. So I"m working on it a bit most every night. And thanks for the idea on the textile paper, but someone else mentioned using interfacing on the back of the material. So I think that I may do that. Still, getting the shape right is going to be fun. :rolleyes:

Right now, I don't have enough done to be able to take pics that can be posted here. But once I do have more done, I'll try to post some.

When looking for other photos, I found this site which claims that there was a depiction of Arica in the SE of RotJ. I've never heard anyone else claim this, but here's the link: http://red6.home.insightbb.com/Aliens/Jabba/
    I'll have to watch the DVD sometime and see if I can see what they are talking about.

12. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    I was going to say the same thing :)

13. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Jade-Walker:

That character's name is actually Jess. She's always been in the movie, but you needed a widescreen video to see her before the dvd came out. You can see her real well when Leia (as Boushh) shows up with Chewie. When everyone hears the commotion outside, she runs right into frame. She was named in the Decipher CCG Jabba's Palace Limited Expansion set. Here, look:

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/jabbaspalace/light/images/jess.gif]

So that person's wrong. Don't listen to them.

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Cool. Thanks for that info. I looked in the Credits for the Name "Arica" also and never saw her listed (or Mara Jade). Plus, I heard that she definitely wasn't in that scene--although why not? GL knew that MJ is THE most popular non-movie character. How hard would it have been to put her in that scene? :rolleyes:

Anways, working on the skirt now...

15. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I suppose he could have. I mean, they put the Outrider in Mos Eisley, right? I guess he just didn't care. lol

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I have most of the skirting done and the scarf that attaches to the arms.
    Tomorrow I will work on the headpiece. I'm going to use flex sculpy and embed wire loops into the back through which I will later thread black elastic to make a headband. Hopefully I'll take some pics of what I have done so far. Right now its in so many pieces that it wouldn't make a very coherent pic. ;)

When looking close-up at the pics this weekend, I also noticed that there is detail on the "hands" There is a circle in the center where the hands meet and there are little triangluar outlined patterns (2 each side) at the tops of the hands. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do these. I think I might design them on my embroidery machine and then cut out the hands later. I'll have to see...

17. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry for taking so long in finally putting a pic up. I did get this costume done for Wizard World Chicago this weekend and am very happy to say that I didn't have any costume malfunctions. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Wizard%20World/WW1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Wizard%20World/WW2.jpg]

18. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    NIIIIIIICCCCCCE! Well done.

19. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I also picked up a signed pic of Shannon in this costume at the Con and there are a couple of details of the costume that I'm likely going to add on, but nothing major. I already knew about the detailing/stitching on the "hands" over the bust.
    It was a great costume to wear and not nearly as bare feeling as I thought it would be.

20. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Kim that looks great! :D Awesome job.

21. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    My friend who went with me did the Trad Paperback version of the Arica costume, which was fun for us to both be in the same costume, just different versions of it.
    Here are more pics from Wizard World this weekend:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sl_5233/album?.dir=6ecf&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

22. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    That looks great! :D

23. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Your costume turned out wonderful Jade-Walker, I loved the photos as well, they were fantastic! Thank-you so much for posting them.

I've started work on my boots, but I'm basing them more on Leia's boots and tweeking them a little with the pin-up girl picture. I intend to make the lines at the top silver instead of gold and twirl up my own design.

Here's to many, many long days of making boots. :rolleyes:;)

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    My boots are loosely based on Leia's. I did use a silver ribbon at the top for the decoration.
    I used the same material as for the costume. I basically made two layers to the boots and put foam sheeting in the boot shape between the layers. For the base of the shoe I used a platform flip-flop from Wal-Mart that had a cork base to it. I just stapled the boot top to the shoe that way. If you look closely at the pics, you should be able to see the boots that I made. If you need the full pics, PM me and I can get them to you.

My friends thought my boots looked like ones that Supergirl would wear. LOL! [face_laugh]
    BTW--check out the top of my costume. If you look at hgher resolution shots of the costume, there is a black circle in the center of the hands and there are tooth-like stripes from the top into the middle of the hands in two places on either side.

In addition, the little bulges that you see in the pics at the attachment of the skirting are actually little loops of material. I'm going to have to make that change on my costume. I hope that helps you out.

EDIT: Here are more pics from the con
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sl_5233/album?.dir=6ecf&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
    The woman in the purple costume did the Arica costume from the Comic books.

25. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    It does help out. Thanks Jade-Walker [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.