main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    I had to move around my pics so the links to the ones i previously posted are broken so here are the new ones
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/5akara/costumes/Commissioned%20costumes/maraandobiwan3.jpg]
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/5akara/costumes/Commissioned%20costumes/marajade2.jpg]

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Very nice :)
    I would like to do that costume some day.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Looks awesome!

I have my leathers cut out, I have my belts working, and have my boots and shin/knee guards. It's coming together...

4. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    I got my 501st approval with some recent alterations to my Mara costume :) I should have my SL number within a few days. Here's one pic of my updated costume from the comic books:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jedicallista/detail?.dir=dd95&.dnm=537a.jpg&.src=ph

5. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    NIce Job Racer :D

6. SilverJedi331

SilverJedi331 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2002
    hi all.
    ive been browsing this thread for some tips and i found a few, so thanks in general to everyone :)
    Im trying to put together a Mara costume for halloween and i have a question...
    all i was able to find was vinyl for the catsuit. i want it to have more of a leathery appearance. is there a way to dull the material without damaging it so its not so shiney?

7. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I've wondered the same thing. I'd rather it be more dull, but haven't been brave enough to try dulling the suit that I've finally gotten to be quite accurate. [face_worried]

8. SilverJedi331

SilverJedi331 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2002
    so i posted this question else where and was told to use very very fine sand paper cause others have done it and it works without any damage. its worth a shot. i'll get some sandpaper this weekend and try it out and let you know how it goes :)

9. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    yeah, trying it out on a small swatch of the fabric is a good idea (being a blonde I would have sewn the suit and them taken the sand paper to the hip:rolleyes:).
    If you are able to post some before and after shots that would be awesome!!

10. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Where do you all find your fabric?
    I got the fabric for my current suit at Jo-Ann's but they don't carry it anymore--even at Halloween! The stuff they have now is only a one-way stretch. [face_plain]

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Nice work Racer!

I got my fabric on Ebay funnily enough.....only $25 for 3 metres! :eek:

Anyway, I aint as slim as you lot, but eh, I am happy...the belts are finished now but werent when the photo was taken.......will post the complete lot soon..

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/Tanya1024_768_1.jpg]

12. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Very nice Addie! ;)

13. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Very nice, I like your choice of fabric. It sounds like you got a lucky find :)

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I was lucky with the fabric, and I have contacted the sellar again and found they have no more. Jade Walker asked and I did try to find more for her. :(

15. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Okay Maras, I want to pick your brain on hair colorings. I normally use a wig for my costume, which holds up pretty well and people think it looks realistic on me. The problem I have is with outdoor events. It is a synthetic wig that tends to get matted and tangled easily after a long day in costume, and even more so if it is windy or raining. It would be great to lose the wig for some of these events.

My real hair has grown out well past my shoulders now, so the length would be accurate for Mara. My color is a light brown with some light red highlights, but is not red enough for Mara. I have tried many dyes over the years and my hair does not hold any permanent dye for more than about two weeks. Do any of you know of any temporary red dyes that look "Mara" and yet wash out within 24 hours? I have heard of color gels or color mousse but know very little about them. Also, how difficult are they to apply? Do they make your hair sticky when using them?

16. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I don't know what kind of temporary dye you could use, but I can recommend that whatever you find, since your hair is light brown shot with red, you can do the strawberry-blonde tint that Timothy Zahn says is Mara's "actual" hair color (yeah, actual for a fictional character :p ) instead of dark hot red. Though you're more likely to find artificial-looking cherry red colors with temp dyes or mousses.

17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I use a temporary dye when doing Mara. There are two Types, one that says it lasts 8 washes and one that says it lasts 24 washes. The second is the one I use as to be honest, they do not last as long as they say. I use Schwarzkopf Country Colours - Indian Summer. It takes well to brown hair and gives good coverage and leaves my hair pretty healthy looking. The first colour is a Schwarzkopf Live Colour, I used Aztec Copper here on that one, but it washes out in two days, totally. I like to stay red for a few days afterward and gradually go back to my chestnut colour.

18. MaraBlade

MaraBlade Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2001
    Speaking of Mara hair dye...

I've heard about henna hair dyes, but I don't know much about them. Have any of y'all tried this? I've heard that there are red-ish ones, that they're good for your hair, and that they last for about a month (which is an improvement for me because when I dyed my hair for C2 it was only supposed to last 3 months, but a year later I still had people asking me if I had red hair, 'cause it still looked kinda red).

So yeah, I'm curious to know if henna hair dyes would work for the Mara look. Anybody know?

MTLBWY! :)
    -Deborah-

19. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I have blonde hair, so mine's a bit easier to tint with the mousse. But I know that they don't really work as well for darker hair.
    Sorry that I can't help much there.
    I did just pick up a red wig, though, to try out for times that I don't want to put color in my hair.

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    LOL! I just read your signature Jade and if you PM me, I would be very happy to explain about me being a Kyp fan! :p

21. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    That actually is a quote by Denning. That part got cut off, though, due to my long sig. :p

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    LOL! Its easy to explain.....at least I think it is, I've never really tried. I just 'hang' with other Kypites, and as they understand, there is nothing to explain! :p

But Mara is the lady that rocks......for sure.

23. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Kyp is sexy. Enough said :) Except for that horrible pic in the character guide where he resembles Conan.

I talked to the woman at the herb store I go to about henna dyes once. She didn't have any packaged kits but showed me the henna powders she had. No red unfortunately unless I wanted to special order some. She said you mix the powder with some other stuff and work it through your hair like a gel, but she had never personally tried it. It stains very dark and very easily so you would have to be really careful not to stain your bathtub or sink. I didn't order any because I either want a dye that will last several months, or one that will wash out right away (I don't want to keep re-coloring every month). Plus the fact that she had never tried it herself scared me a little as I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    My Completed Mara...

Taken yesterday at Supa Nova Convention in Sydney with the Terror Australis Garrison - 501st. :D

25. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    The link wont work for me, it says Forbidden :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.