main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Neimhaille: I have a foil card with Mara in her green tunic where you see her from the side, which does give you a bit of a view of her back.
    I could try scanning this in for you if you want me to e-mail it to you at some point.

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I started patterning out the black Mara costume last year but it got lost in the pile of things I was working on. :p

In a couple of weeks I'm helping out with a convention in New Jersey and Shannon will be there. One of the questions I'm going to ask her is if/where the zipper was in that costume. ;) Hopefully she'll remember...

3. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Excellent, HothGirl! That would be great!

And I know the multiple costume thing. I'm working on this Mara costume, Aayla Secura, and a TIE fighter (although my friend will actually be doing the majority of that work ;)). And I'm hoping to be able to do the Battle Padme from ATOC (ripped and unripped versions) as well if I have time. :)

4. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Here is a link to Kristen's Lady Maul costume

Lady Maul

She made a one-piece leather body suit and might be able to help out with a pattern. I know at one time she had more details about this costume but has since remodeled the site and it's not longer there but you can contact her by the link on her page.

5. Cami_Colucci

Cami_Colucci Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    Jade-walker

here's a link to the picture that i'm using for my costume.

http://www.jedibites.com/images/heroes/MaraJadeSkywalker.jpg

you might have to copy and paste it

6. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh :) That's :cool:
    And she's not really wearing the typical boots or shinguards. Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of what you do with this. :D

7. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Jade-Walker:

Actually it's really good news in comparisson to what it was;) It used to be no matter what you did you couldn't be canon with Mara, now you can;)

But urgh, I'm sorry, I really don't like what they did with the tunic for Shanon. It did nothing for her, and doesn't have the drape of the images... it isn't striaght up and down there is a loosenes to the folds in the way the skirts hang in the piccies I've seen.

Ah well, I wasn't planning on being canon with her anyway;)

Save that for my Sabe, Battle outfit costume... when ever it gets done... after the Black Diamonds (Moulin Rouge), 1870s bustle dress, 1560s SPanish ensemble.. 1520s Kampfrau dress and Scaube. They are all the needed items:)

I just hope I'm quick enough to snaffle up some red wool tomorrow for my Schaube...

8. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Actually it's really good news in comparisson to what it was
    Very true. ;)
    It used to be from the movies or not canon at all. ;)

9. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah, in the pic, in the link above,...I'm not sure about that certain copy, but in the book, you can deffently tell that she has on, a top and pants, not a one piece...so i have a way out on that one..lol..

10. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    oh yeah do we know for sure that she has a pink cape?...or is it like an off white?

11. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    :D So I guess her Arica costume would be canon too... hmmm... as in.. hmmmm what else would now be canon;) Not, hmm I could do that one too, because.. umm.. we don't want to frighten the crowds;)

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    LOL! [face_laugh]
    I thought about doing the slave Leia one at one time, but I get cold too easily and there's not much to that one to keep you warm. ;)

13. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah that is one that one day ONE day, (when i'm like a size 4, lol that will never happen) my husband wants me to make a slave leia..lol..

but really ..does anyone know what color her cape is, wiether it is really pink, or if it is an off white?..because in some cases, it looks pink, in others, it looks like an off white. ?

14. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I've always thought it was a peachy-brownish-pink, but that's just me.
    I think the costume that was made for Shannon Baksa has a cape in that color area.

15. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah, that is what i really meant by off white, that brownish color...like a taupe-y like pink...( ithink that's the color i mean) ..ok..that's cool :)

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. I agree. But I think a lot of people use pink anyways.
    I bought a nice material in a mauve color that will look nice, I think. :)

17. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    :) Just returned home from a long (but great) weekend at Empire FanFest.

I had the opportunity to briefly talk to Shannon about her costume and she did know quite a bit about it. Sorry if this is repeat information for people!

About the bodysuit...she told me that it was a cheap Halloween suit they picked up - it wasn't leather, just really cheap plastic. She said it was smelly and sweaty and that she hated wearing it for cons. (Guess they ended up making about three suits when she was doing appearances in it.) Also, the zipper went straight down the back of the suit.

For the waist and shoulder belts she said that they bought two Kenneth Cole belts and cut them up. One for the waist and one for the shoulders.

Her shinguards were hockey shinguards spray painted black.

The cape was made of raw silk that was thrown in the washer several times to try and ruin it and give it that warn look. Shannon said the cape is a light tan/beige color.

The cloak clasps were also made by using the ends of belts. I guess they just cut the metal parts from the ends of a couple belts and used that as the closure.

Basically, Shannon said she was amazed by what they threw together on such a small budget. The most expensive part of her costume was the saber.

Hopefully that info will be helpful to some people working on the costume! Shannon was really great to talk to and it's great that she remembered so much about the costume.

18. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    WOW! That is some excellent info, HothGirl!

Thanks for sharing your findings!

19. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Yet again, an example of the amazing results you can get from just throughing costume parts together...

20. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow! That is interesting. Thanks :D

I'm still planning on doing the vinyl version with inner leg pannels and all, but I really want to have a one piece to wear sooner than that (an that's easier to build). I have a bodysuit pattern and will just add pipping front and back.

How is the blue suit coming along?

21. Jediwoman

Jediwoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Katie, you beat me to it!!! doh!!! I was so excited to post all this stuff too. :p

First, I'd like to say that Shannon is a wonderful person and it was truly a pleasure to get to meet her. I have pics of her and I together which are available at:

EmpireFanFest

She told me all about her costume. yes it was in fact vinyl and the ribbing goign down the thighs was just a pattern they sewed into it. She said a leather one would have been way too expensive. :p She also suggested that for anyone wearing a vinyl version of the costume that they sprinkle baby powder on the inside of the costume before putting it on so it doens't stick to ya. ;)

I think Katie got all the rest. It's great to have this "official" info. :D Good luck all you Mara costumers out there.

-Tanya

22. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Oooh, excellent info guys:)

lol! Yeah, baby powder if an excellent idea;) ANd also to make sure you are nice and calm while wiggling into it;) I had to wear some ostrich leather leggings for s shoot once and I had just walked to the studio.

Even talc couldn't help me get into the pants;)

If we had've waited half an hour, it would have been fine;)

23. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Sorry Tanya! Shannon did say someone else was asking about the costume but for the life of me I couldn't figure out who it was! D'oh!

Yep, the baby powder was a good tip. I forgot that she said it wasn't lined.

24. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    One other thing I did think of that I forgot to post earlier...Shannon said they used Windex to clean the costume. :)

That really has nothing to do with the costume itself, just a fun fact. ;)

25. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Good info though. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.