main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jediwoman

Jediwoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    yeah, I have a bottle of Febreze in the luggage that I use when I travel with my costume. LOL

-Tanya

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I just finished my bodysuit. :D
    I decided to go with a poly/lycra/PVC blend. It's amazing how well it fits! [face_shocked] No room to hide a blaster in there! :p
    I can't wait to wear it to the Pittsburg Comic Con next weekend. :D Now to work on all of the accessories. ;)

3. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    With the pattern I have, I think I can now figure out how to make it with added seams for the pipping down the front (and back) of the bodysuit. After I work on some other costumes, I'll have to come back to a fourth version of my Mara Jade. ;)

How is yours coming along, Cami?

4. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Aren't we about due for some pics, Jade?
    :)

5. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I should get some pics in the new suit this weekend at the Pits. Comic Con. But I don't know how to put them up. I don't have a website for pics. :confused:

6. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    And now I have made a little holster for the small of my back like the action figure has. Gotta love the magic of glue guns. :p

7. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Try photobucket.com for a picture host.

8. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay. I'll have to try that after the com on Sat. ;)
    Thanks. :)

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay. I took your advice and tried Photobucket.com.
    Here are a couple of pics from the con of my new costume:

[image=http://img62.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Pit_Comic_Con_1.jpg]

[image=http://img62.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Pit_Comic_Con_6a.jpg]

10. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Your costume looks great, Jade-Walker!
    That catsuit turned out fantastic!

11. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    :D Thanks!
    It was really easy, too.
    I might do another version of in the future--add in the piping down the front. But that will have to wait until I've finished the other 3 costumes I have in the works. :p

12. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Ooo, that did turn out well! :) You make a very nice Mara.

13. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I've been working out with my arms a little. I don't think that Mara would have spaghetti arms. :p

14. Cami_Colucci

Cami_Colucci Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    HEY!

WOW that bodusuit looks fantastic :)
    Good to see it got done so quickly

as for mine, well it got put on the back burner for a month (my hubbie and moved into a bigger place)

but i got the perfect fabric for it, an almost navy swimsuit fabric from joanns online.

So basiclly for the past month, the farbic has been sitting in my sewing trunk, along with the sewing machine..lol..

but i'm going to start on it this weekend...I have lost a good amount of weight too, not as much as i want but i still have time between now and dragon con :)

again, that costume turned out great, I hope mine looks that good :)

15. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Great job, JW! Looks even better than the costume they had for the "official" Mara photos.

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    [face_blush] Thanks HanJones. :)

And Cami--make sure to use a zig-zag stitch--the one I had on my machine made several zigs and zags all at the same time which gave it a lot of extra strength. :D
    I put a zipper in the back (my first time ever putting a zipper in anything!).
    If I can help at all, Cami, let me know. ;)

17. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    If you can get a machine that does actual stretch stitches it's even better ;)

It's why I bought my el cheapo sewing machine. It has lots of lovely stretch stitches;) I just need to fix it to stop dropping the thread from the uptake ;)

18. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. That's what that stitch that I mentioned is--a special stretch stitch with zig zags. :D It works quite well.

19. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    And you REALLY going to need it, trust me! I didn't do it, and today
    with the fitting of my Mara costume, I bursted out the suit 8-}.

It's not as beautiful and tight as your costume Jade-Walker, my compliments :), you really look great!
    *goes stitching the hole in the suit* [face_blush]

20. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Ahh, see a zig zag is a stitch all in its own right;)

Hehehe, my machine with the groovy stretch stitches doubles up on the ordinary stitches... and when I first tried it I couldn't work out why I couldn't get the right sticthes...

Until I turned another dial to access them... doh!

I think I may recognise the stitch you mean though... I think it's the one I used for the knickers of my Black Diamonds costume.... It almost looks like a trellis?

21. Cami_Colucci

Cami_Colucci Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah the zigzag is a life saver ;)

plus i'm gonna sew the seams down, so it's the double stitch look...i don't know the techincal term for it.

and again Jade walker, your looks awesome

22. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Great costume Jade-Walker!!!

23. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Didn't mean to make you blush, JW. :D It really does look better than the "official" costume that they put together, though

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks all. :D
    That Kwik Sew pattern was amazing! I was really surprised at how you just add length in the deignated spots and voila! It fits perfectly. :D I highly recommend that pattern. I'll have to find the number for you all when I get back home.

25. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Well my suit is finished, without holes ;). Used a little bit of extra fabric, a double stitch and some fabric glue, pretty smart suit if it rips now.
    I already finished with her gear.

I made the belt from 2 leather belts, and attached them to each other with screws. The buckle is made from a piece of copper. Cut out of a copper plate and then painted it silver (first clean the copper thoroughly or else the paint will not stick)

The gun is a toy gun that I modified. I then spray-painted it black and used a little bit off chrome paint to give it that ?used? look.

I made the holster from 2 pieces of cheap leather; 1 light-brown, the other piece matched the color off my belt, but was a little thin, so I first made a holster out of the first piece of strong leather, and then made a same holster with the thin brown leather: only a bit bigger, so you can slide the bigger (right colored one) over the light colored holster. A little bit of clue, and it?s ready to be used :) .

The back armorwas actually quite simple. I used a wheel for it :p, and split a belt in 2 (which is funny because I read that the designers from the actual Mara costume did that too), and attached them too the wheel by drilling and veiling a hole in the wheel. Then I secured it with some screws. I used the same technique with the 2 little buckles as I did with the big belt buckle, and attached them with gleu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.