main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Here are some pictures of the shins and the suit.
    the suit(photo of the back):[image=http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/suit1.jpg]

the ribbing (on the front)
    [image=http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/MA6.jpg]

and the shins...
    [image=http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/MA7.jpg]
    they are not ice hockey shins, but you probably noticed that already. These are soccer shins, filled up with silicone kit (there used to be a big Umbro logo on the front of the shin)

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow! That is really excellent! :D
    What kind of material did you use?
    And I can't tell, are those pintucks or pipping? How did you do the ribbing?

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Jade-Walker, I know I'm a bit late in saying it, but you looked fantastic in your costume! :)

Tenyon, everything looks great! :D

4. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Well thank you Jade-Walker and Obi-Anne :D

@Jade Walker: You meen the elastics on the bottom of the pipes? Yes, those are elastics to keep the pants-part in place so it can't crawl-up when you're walking :p. I will try too explain some other things on the suit:)

About the pattern: The suit is sewed out off 9 differnt "parts". So it has many seams which is very handy because you can make it real tight that way (but do NOT forget the double stitch!)It has a zipper in the back

[image=http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/suit_3.jpg]

[image=http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/suit1_2.jpg]

The ribbing is made out of different layers, so it get's a 'stuffed' look, and then I sewed some lines on it.

The suit has 2 different seams; a normal seam,
    and a double seam(1 normal seam and 1 fake seam)[image=http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/MA8.jpg]

5. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Your costume pieces look great Tenyon!
    Any chance we'll get to see them all assembled soon?
    :D

Also, is it just me, or is there something melancholy about that bodysuit sprawled out on the concrete, all alone and empty?
    ;)

6. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Thanks surlygirlie for the compliment!

I wore the costume too a con this weekend. So now I'm waiting for the pictures, since I didn't bring a camera with me [face_blush]
    like Jade-Walker said: no space to hide a
    blaster/camera in there 8-}
    melancholy? :D hehe, I admit it has some yeah,
    mmmm, maybe I have to put some plants on the balcony then :D

PS, I'm sorry,in my last post, it must be Obi-Dawn of course instead of Obi-Anne, girls I'm sorry, please forgive me. [face_blush]

7. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. It does look odd without a person in it. My suit does as well. When it hangs on the hanger, I just don't get how it looks good on me. :p

Did you use three layers throughout the whole suit?
    And what did you make the top "leather" layer out of?
    Was it comfortable to wear? My outfit is a bit too shiny (maybe I could "weather" it a bit to make it less so, but then I'm a little afraid of destroying the integrity of the fabric). But my suit is very comfortable to wear since the material has "give."

I have a nice vinyl that I originally planned on using to make a more "canon" suit. But wasn't sure how much give/how comfortable it would be to wear and sit, etc in.

8. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
  9. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    The whole suit is made out of nappa leather.
    The ribbing has 3 layers of fabric, the other parts
    of the suit are 1 layer of nappa leather.It looks good but unfortunaltely it is very uncomfurtable to wear,
    but hey, it's al worth it :).

I don't find your suit to shiny at
    all Jade-Walker. The suit that Shannon wears is
    shiny to, so in that way, you have a very accurate suit :)

And I don't have to worry about a suit without a person anymore, because I just received the photos from the con :D

with little Boba Fett, Daniel Logan: Boba

with a very nice Zam Wessel: Zam

Bucket Mara: yay

I can make some photo's/how did I do.... to of the cape and the pin, but right now I'm going away for 1 week, so I will have that one up later :)

10. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    A) Daniel Logan is growing up very fast.

B) Your costume looks fabulous, Tenyon! You look just wonderful.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Tenyon...wow! That's a great costume for you. I think you look fantastic and love your hair. :)

12. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Wow, both of your costumes look absolutely great, JW and Tenyon. Only the slight difference in appearance of the material. Personally, I prefer the more shiny effect of JW's material, but that's just me. You did an outstanding job, Tenyon. Congrats!!!

13. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    huh. Your links aren't working right now. And I'm dying to see the pics! :_|
    I like your leather. But yeah. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be the most comfortable thing to wear. [face_plain]

I'm glad that you all like the shiny-ness of my suit. :D

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay. Links are working again.

You look great, Tenyon! And you wear the pink cape and everything. I'm still working on mine. Trust me. Wearing a cape has it's benefits--link not having every geek at a comic con staring at your backside! [face_blush]

I think the seams look great--they definitely show off better in those pics. :D

15. Cami_Colucci

Cami_Colucci Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    wow that looks great, and you said it was leather ?..wow!

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    You look fantastic Tenyon!

And I agree, Daniel Logan looks so old already!

17. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Wow Tenyan:) It's brilliant:) Darnnit.. now I need to lose weight to make my own one :p

Evil I tells ya... heh.. Mara.. evil.. heh heh.. ;)

18. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Wow, I haven't been here for a while and just noticed this thread. Those costumes are fantastic!! I am planning on bringing my MJ costume to E3 so it's great to see that others are still into making this costume.

19. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Thank you very much for all the compliments! :)
    , and yes Neimhaille it's a very evil costume.. , but admit, evil costumes are just more fun :D

20. HanJones

Nov 26, 2002
    Jade-Walker wrote:

I'm glad that you all like the shiny-ness of my suit.

I wouldn't distress it at all to get the more weathered look. As you said, you could damage the fabric. Besides, SW could use more costumes like that. I can see where someone might think it is too "Trinity" / "Matrix"-like, but I think it works great.

21. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Cool. :) Thanks
    With all of the cool photos of the suit above, I was thinking of doing one in a pleather. But the one I have is so comfortable, that I think I'll just stick with my material. ;)

22. HanJones

Nov 26, 2002
    Glad to have helped you make the right decision. No sense in making another costume when you have a perfectly good one already. May as well put your time and talents into making some other costume.

23. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I went to Origins on Saturday with my updated Mara Suit:

[image=http://img62.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Origins/Origins2004-1.jpg]

I was so excited to meet Sean Astin! [face_dancing]

Unfortunately, photobucket appears to be down temporarily. Check back later for the pic to reappear. :p

24. HanJones

Nov 26, 2002
    The cape is a nice touch.

25. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. It keeps the uber-geeks from staring at my behind all the time. :p

How is your steath trooper coming? It looked pretty cool. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.