main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Hood?
    The Insider photos don't appear to have a hood.
    But I would think Mara would be more into a black cape with hood than what LFL put together anyways. ;)

2. General_Jade

General_Jade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2004
    Well, I was refering to the hood that Mara wore in the Trawn Trillogies ;).

3. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Hmmm...It's been a while since I've read those books. I don't specifically remember how it was described. :confused:

4. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I figured that I would put the pic from this weekend up. I decided to wear my black cape with hood rather than that pink one that for some unknown reason LFL thought Mara would wear. :rolleyes:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Twisted%20Weekend/P9190001.jpg]

5. Miba

Miba Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2004
    I want to make a Mara costume for CIII. I haven't really worked too hard on it yet, though. Deciding to go as Mara was really kinda... surprising for me. Usually I hate wearing tight clothing like that, especially on pant bottoms; I prefer the bellbottom look.

But my BF was really wanting to go as Luke, so the natural choice for me was Mara. Not only to go as a SW couple, but also because we're like each other. I mean, he's like Luke and I'm like Mara in personality, minus the clothing thing. ;) Up until a year ago I wore camo pants and regular shirts, but since I met him, I've loosened up a lot. I even look like Mara, except my face is more sweet-looking, and my hair's a dark blonde/light brown.

So... I don't have a sewing machine, but my mom does. I also don't want to spend hundreds on costuming supplies. So far, here's what I've got on my list:

-A black tanktop. I figure if I can't find a good one, I can get a black full-peice swimsuit, and alter it some.

-Boots. Lucky me, I live in Montana, land of the West. ;) We have two Ranch and Supply stores, and one Western Wear store, and a few other smaller stores that might have something good.

-The goggles I figure I can get either at Wal-Mart or Target or Kmart or even the Sports and Ski store we have.

-I'm gonna get my mom to make the hood... cover... thingie...

-I'm using my Jedi cloak instead of making a cape, since I couldn't stand wearing a cape, omg, how can you not get choked by one? o_0

-The gloves are a hard thing for me. I'm trying to figure out if I should look for some good ones, or just settle for those finger-less bike gloves we have at Wal-Mart. I plan to ask my BF which he'd prefer.

-Black pants are the hardest thing, not gloves, I was wrong. :p Of course we have black jeans, and black cloth pants, but none of them are good. Might have to just make those. My mom's good at sewing, she can do that. Come to think of it, I might just get her to do the shirt too, if I can find good cloth.

-Belts. I haven't a clue how to get the SWy belt buckle thing she has. Or even how to do the split belt, where it has the holster strap, and then the regular belt part. The gun holster is easy, considering we have two Army/Navy Supply stores around here. I can also get a cool belt pouch from them. The thing is, I'm sorta customizing my Mara costume. Which means I'm bringing two lightsabers. So, I'm going to get two belts, and then cross them over each other so that one side of one belt is up on my hip then slings down to my opposite thigh, and the same with the other belt, and then clip my lightsabers to the parts that go over the thighs, and have the gun holster in back. Getting a blaster to put in it is hard. I already have lightsabers, though.

-Shin and knee guards.... I'm gonna look at places like Wal-Mart and Target and Kmart, and then try the Sports store.

I think that's it. For a while I played with the idea of making the pants with a loose bottom, but I was posing in front of my mirror with the bottoms of my pants wrapped around my ankles, tied with rubber bands, and it didn't look too bad, especially if I was wearing the shin/knee guards. So I'm going with the regular straight leg thing.

6. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I've just finished my first version of the costume and have decided to truck on through and start the second one. I learned a lot with the first costume (sand the plastic before painting...) and everyone I know got involved!

As far as Mara's belt buckle I have to share my find: I went to my "local" leather and western wear store and purchased a belt buckle blank. It is essentially a flat piece of silver color metal that is used to make belt buckles. It cost like $3 and works great! I purchased the square shape and then just took the edges off to make the octigon shape that Mara has. It looks great and it isn't really bulky like my first version (sculpy clay glued to a belt buckle).

7. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    It says "not authorized"

8. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    dang you are fast! I realized that my first post with the picture in it was hosted on a private website and I can't link to it. I'm going to have to move the pic elsewhere before posting it.
    Sorry :(

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Looking forward to seeing it. :D

10. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I just upgraded my cape.
    I made a fuller cape in a light dusty lavendar moleskin and I'm so pleased with how it came out! I'll post pics when I have it hemmed up.

And I ordered the Parks lightsaber. I can't wait! When I'm not trooping with it, I will have it hanging on my wall! :D

11. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    The Park saber is the way to go!! Can't wait to see your newly finished cape.

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Is that what you have, Ladystar?
    I couldn't completely decide...Mara's Decipher Parks Saber or a replica of the one that her beloved husband gave her. [face_love] So I ordered both. [face_blush]

13. Leia8203

Leia8203 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2004
    JW: I could use some help from you.
    Ive been trying to get in the 501st with my Mara Jade costume but it didnt work.
    I want to know how you made that bodysuit and where you got your knee/shin pads and goggles from.
    And what kind of boots are you wearing ?
    I aleady have black leather gloves and the pink cape .

Leia

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I am happy to help.
    I"m sending you a PM. ;)

15. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    I'm considering a Mara Jade costume for Dragon*Con '05. The pictures and tips in this thread are helpful; does anyone know of or have a tutorial? Question to those who made a Mara costume: about how long did it take you and was it very expensive or hard?

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    It depends on how "canon" you want to be. If you are doing it for yourself, you can do what you want. If you are trying to join RL, then you have a few more requirements. If you are going for 501st, yet more.

For yourself, you can pick what you think Mara would wear. Myself, I never could see her with a pink cape (although it was actually brown and the lighting just made it pink/purple). I made a black one with a hood. But for the other groups, you'll need the tan/brown or the pink/purple. But the cape is easy.

The catsuit, it depends on if you want to put the piping into the seams or not. That makes it more difficult, but a regular catsuit works quite well also and isn't too hard to make or to find. Do you want leather? Or do you want to use the stretchy vinyl/spandex stuff? The leather would be expensive. ;)

The harness and holster you can make our of vinyl and aluminum flashing. Or you can alter pre-made belts. Or you can start with unfinished leather and go the rest of the way (what I am working on currently).

The hockey kneepads/shinguards can be a bit more difficult to find ones that look right. I just kept watchin e-bay, or you can check out a second-hand sporting gooods store.

The lightsaber can be a sticky widget. If it's for you, use what you want. If its for RL or 501st, you can't use a plastic toy. It has to be metal. Even that may not be acceptible. I had one cutsom made for what I thought would be cool. They didn't agree :rolleyes: For 501st you need one that look either like the one in the Insider pictures (done by Parksabers, although at Dewback wing there is a thread that may help you to find less expensive alternatives) or a graflex also is acceptible.

Actually, its not as difficult a costume as many are and since it's EU, you can make variations on it. ;)
    If you currently are on a budget, then make a prelim costume and you can add to it or improve parts as you go along. I'm currently working on my Mara Jade 4.0 ;)

17. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    I am anxiously awaiting 4.0 ;). Are going to have it done for C3? Your costume was awesome so what could you be doing to make it even better???

18. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    [face_blush] Thanks, ladystar.
    I improved the cape--probably longer than the actual cape, but I love that pattern. It has such good flow. :)
    I'm also putting the pipping into the seams, although trying to figure out how to do curved seams is something I've never done and will have "fun" trying to get right this weekend. ;)
    New sabers-- ESB Luke and the Decipher Mara Jade--both by Parks.
    Real leather belting and harness. New blaster holster.
    Very nice metal pieces (compliments of a friend of mine) for the belt buckle, the cape clasp and the harness buckles.
    I'm also getting green contacts. I just got the prescription on Tuesday. [face_batting]
    I've very excited. And there's NO DOUBT I'll be wearing it at CIII! :D
    I'll post pics when I have it

19. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I finally took a pic of my Parks Luke ESB graflex.
    It's awesome! :cool:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Graflex.jpg]

20. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    Fantastic saber, he did a great job (as always). I really need to fix my shoulder harness buckles before I go since I will be wearing mine at C3 too!! I hope I get a chance to see your outfit in person!! :)

21. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. It would be cool to meet some of the people that I interact with here on the boards. :D
    But I'll be working the doors at CIII for 501st. So you may see me around. ;)

22. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Hi! I've been lurking in this thread for a while (there are some great costumes here!) and was originally planning to make a Light side Mara (green VOTF cover) costume, but my husband made a ROTJ Emperor costume for our local spring Con and C3, so now I'm thinking Emperor's Hand era. (I'm not brave enough to wear the traditional black catsuit. [face_blush])

I was wondering if anyone has seen or has any ideas for this costume from the By the Emperor's Hand comic. The coloration is different, depending on the picture. I'm thinking the jacket, belt, and boots are all black, but can't figure out the color of the jumper.

[image=http://www.maarasuniverse.com/Mara3/tehmarabteh1.jpg]

[image=http://www.maarasuniverse.com/Mara3/secretmarabteh3.jpg]

(And, is it just me, or does that lightsaber on the cot look like the Anakin/Luke saber she carries post-Thrawn Trilogy? I guess they got confused, LOL.)

Thanks for any suggestions! :D

23. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey Trace! Sorry for barging in on this thread, I know I haven't posted in here, but I couldn't help responding to a familiar fanfic face. [face_blush] ;)

I agree with you on the black accessories, but between the two colors you posted there, I'd go with the dark blue. I just think it would compliment best with her red hair and her character in general...Mara doesn't strike me as a big purple person as much. :p I just envision the first picture as a nicer costume.

And yes, apparently they did get confused on the lightsaber. That happens a lot in comics. 8-}

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree. A blue would be nice--and a nice change from the standard Mara costume. ;)
    Plus, this looks like a nice standard pattern of bodysuit without extra panels in the legs or piping.

And yeah. They screwed up. That has the grips on it like the Luke ESB saber. :rolleyes:

Mara doesn't strike me as a big purple person as much.
    It's the lighting. The cape was actually a beige/brown raw silk. Its just the lighting that made it look purple. I agree. No way in the Emperor's underground would she wear pink or purple when she wasn't masquerading as a couresean or dancer. ;) But now we're kinda stuck with purple as being 'canon' :rolleyes:
    My new cape is a dusty lavendar, which looks kinda brownish at times, but has a light purple color to it. A little of both versions. ;)

25. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Hey Pariah! [:D] The more I look at it, the more I agree ? definitely blue.

Jade-Walker: Thanks! Blue it is. :D

The cape was actually a beige/brown raw silk. I know - I bet it looks great in natural light. Too bad it shows up as pink on the Decipher stuff? o_O ;)

We had a costuming meeting this weekend and a couple of the folks in my FanForce are trying to talk me into this costume. One of the guys says he can do the leather stuff for me and it does look pretty kewl? [face_blush] Sans cloak, though. After suffocating in Barriss Offee garb last year, I am totally with Edna Mode: ?No capes!? [face_laugh]

Thanks again! I?ll keep y?all posted. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.