Jedi Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Jedi Trace:
    I bet it looks great in natural light. Too bad it shows up as pink on the Decipher stuff?
    Actually, no. Here's a pic:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/marapic3.bmp]
    Yikes! What did they do to that costume? Let it lay damp in a ball in the corner somewhere for a couple of years?
    That's what I've meant in the past by saying that sometimes being canon isn't all its cracked up to be. In that pic, that costume looks horrible! I'm sure we can improve upon it. ;)

LOL! Before I clicked on that link, I assumed that the guys were all trying to get you to do the Arica costume. :p But that Emperor's Hand one is very cool. I would love to do it some day. And I think there's enough material to cover you so that you don't have slimy guys following you around and trying to touch you. Yuck. *shudders with the memory*

I went to try out green contacts yesterday. I guess I'm going to stick with my blue eyes that, with green eyeshadow, I can almost get to look a little green. There were three brands of green contacts that were a possibility. One made my eyes brown (I have no idea how that happened) and the other two made them look aqua-blue but not remotely green. Since I don't wear contacts normally, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort for the lack of results. [face_plain]
  2. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay! I got my MJ saber in the mail today:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/MaraJadesaber.jpg]

The blade looks hot pink when not "on" but is purple when it is "on."
  3. jediknight88 Force Ghost

star 6
    That is an awsome hilt!

Is it a Parks?
  4. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
  5. ladystar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi Jedi Trace!! Sorry for such a late response but I just wanted to chim in and agree on the color blue for your Mara outfit. That's a great one to pick and make sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Jade-Walker, LOVE that saber!! I wish I would have gotten the correct color blade when I first ordered mine. Sorry to hear about the contacts. I wear Acuvue lenses and since I have brown eyes normally, the green ones I chose worked really well for me. I picked the full color green instead of any half tints.
    Also, I couldn't believe the condition of that costume when I saw that picture!! It looked terrible. Where did Shannon wear that??
  6. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Ladystar What color blade did you get? And when did you get the saber? If you want to me 100% accurate to the costume, Shannon Baska (at the time) actually carried a BLUE blade. Parks didn't make a purple at the time. ;) The purple was added later.

I have no idea what con that pic was from. But yeah. Awful. [face_sick]

I've almost finished my new bodysuit. Same vinyl/spandex/PVC type material as before--very comfortable! But now with the piping and the pannels in the thighs. Boy is that piping a pain! :rolleyes: I will have to tweek it a bit so that it is a bit more even. ;) But I'm quite happy with how it's come out so far. When I have pics, I'll post them. ;)

Ladystar: Did you have pics of yours?
  7. ladystar Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have the blue blade. It was the brightest blade he had at the time and so I went with it.

I have pictures of my costume at an old webpage I can no longer access so I'll see if I can post some type of link here. At the time I made my costume, though, I was sure her cape was light purple :(

jadesfire

Just click on the Celebration II-2002 to the left and you can see my costume. I've had to redo the shoulder harness but I really loved my cape so I'm just keeping it the color that it is.
  8. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool :)
    Thanks for the pics.
    I love the pic of the 3 Jades! :D
  9. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, on a late night whim I've offically decided to do a Mara costume, but it won't be the traditional one. [face_whistling] I'm an EU collector, so I get a lot of inspiration from the comics. I loved what artist Ed Biukovic did with her on the last page of The Last Command comic--she still had her trusty black catsuit, but over it she wore a rust colored jacket with very nifty quilting on the collar and shoulders.

Besides the fact that I just like the jacket, it saves me a lot of trouble and money too; I can cheat and not buy or make the shoulder harness on her suit. :p I'll already have a brown belt for another costume, plus a holster and blaster; boots and knee pads are taken care of, and since I'm only doing this costume for fun and not to enter it in anything I won't go the PVC/latex/leather route and just get a shiny lycra unitard. Another plus--because this costume is in the very scene where Luke first gives her his old lightsaber, I can just use my Luke ESB Graflex. :D So I suppose you could say I'm doing Light Side Mara instead of Emperor's Hand. O:)

My only minor problem is the shin guards--I did want them to look decent and haven't had luck finding any. They don't need to be black, I'll repaint them myself, but I'm just not happy with the shape, they're not the right size, or they have knee pads already attached. How have you ladies solved your shinguard problems?

Since I know I won't have time to do this costume for C3 and I'm saving it for the summer to wear for San Diego Comic Con, I was tempted to try building some from scratch from various materials (art school trains you in weird construction projects o_O). I'll probably wind up pulling my hair out from frustration, but what do you all think? [face_thinking]
  10. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    They are hockey shinguards. Go to a second-hand athletic store and see what you can find. Or go to e-bay. That's where I got mine. :D

And no one says that it has to be 'canon' if its just for you. I plan on making other Mara costumes eventually that aren't the Decipher or Insider versions. ;) Just have fun. Wearing the black leotard and carrying a lightsaber--many people will recognize you as Mara. ;)
  11. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    That's a great costume, Pariah! (I love the Mara art in that comic, 'specially the confrontation with C'baoth.)

I've also changed my mind and am going ahead with the VOTF cover outfit, since I already have the green fabric, sculpey for the broach/shoulder armor and TESB saber. I hope to have it ready in time for C3.
  12. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Awesome! I would really like to see if you get it done in time. :D I'd love do that one someday. :D
  13. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for all the encouragement, ladies. :D [:D]

Funny thing--I did as much searching as I could on eBay, and turns out the best-shaped shinguards are for British football. [face_laugh] But since they're all listed as youth, I emailed the seller to find out their length. I'm small, so I might get away with it...

The one nifty thing I thought of making for this costume is the mini-blaster in her sleeve holster. I don't have the engineering know-how to actually make it spring-loaded, but it would be lurking in there anyway. :p

EDIT: w00t! *hearts Google* [face_love] :* I stumbled upon the Dewback Wing ASAP forums and they have a great MJ tutorial, including the sweetest shinguards I've ever seen:

[image=http://www.rangerjoe.com/images/6627.jpg]

You can find them here: http://www.rangerjoes.com/product_info.php?cPath=52_204&products_id=782

Tres nifty, no? :D

You can find the whole tutorial here: http://p082.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm64.showMessage?topicID=23.topic

Hopefully I'm not out of line posting these links. [face_blush]
  14. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah. I've seen those shinguards before. Very cool :cool:
  15. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Pariah: You may have seen this already, but here's a tutorial for the hold-out blaster. Although, it's for the sleeveless costume, so it doesn't show how to make the harness for the left wrist. I'll have to figure that part out, as well. [face_thinking]

16. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice. :D Although I have no idea where I'd get a hunk of milled metal around here...living in NYC is great, but not for getting oddball supplies like that. [face_plain]

And I know it's hard to judge the size of that gun because it doesn't show relation to an arm in the photos, but that looks kinda heavy and large to get strapped to your forearm. I found a water gun on eBay that's only two and a half inches long--because I remember her holdout blaster in The Last Command comic being unbelievably tiny.
  17. Reaper63 Force Ghost

star 4
    That gun, in the ASAP tutorial was used in the small of the back holster in that costume. That's why you don't see it in the pictures. I could probably make somethign that would fit into a sleeve holster. I once found a $.50 water gun that would be perfect for a sleeve gun. What I did was seal the gun and fill it with sand to give the gun some weight. But not too much that it would be too heavy to carry.

My working Dartgun/holdout blaster would probably be as big as you would want for a sleeve gun. And I know Pariah, it would probably be too big for her.

http://images8.fotki.com/v132/photos/4/451189/1589330/Dartblaster-vi.jpg?1102266262
  18. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I think it would be, Ed. :p

The making of the gun doesn't faze me; it's making the sleeve contraption itself that's a puzzle. It looks perfectly smooth in the comic and the black gauntlets are still somehow flush with her skin, but we all know it wouldn't work that way--there'd be an obvious lump where the gun is, no matter how small. The trick is to make that lump look...like it has a good reason to be lumpy without looking stupid. :p
  19. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Research update: Oy. I finally worked up the courage to dig under my bed and haul out 50 lbs boxes of books just to find my trade paperback of The Last Command, and I'm glad I did, because my memories of the costume details were foggy indeed. So there's good and bad things...

(Kudos to the late Ed Biukovic for doing such a superb job in drawing the character costumes with such detail and realism. @};- )

The good--easy-as-pie belt. This version of Mara doesn't wear the canon back-drawing belt rig; in fact, she doesn't even have a regular holster anywhere, her only blaster is the tiny concealed one in her gauntlet. I'm having a Luke ESB belt done, and with a little rearrangement of pouches it's a virtual match.

The bad--erm...the blaster. It's curvy. Everywhere. [face_plain] Great look, but boy is that gonna be tricky to try copying. I'll probably have to settle for a flat, rectangular gun. There's also clear pictures of how the arm holster is arranged, that shouldn't be too painful to do, but like I said I seriously doubt I could make it spring-loaded. It's probably better I don't, because knowing me I'd never catch the gun and it'd just go flying around and hitting random people in the eye. [face_laugh]

EDIT: I was able to upload (bad :p) pics of my research pages (no, I don't have a scanner and cyber cafes cost $$$); they're pretty fuzzy but you can just make out the blaster shape and the jacket. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make thumbnailing from my album work over here, so here's the link to my album: http://echobaserebels.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=35
  20. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    I finished my Light Side (VOTF cover) Mara costume in time for MidSouthCon, here.

Before you say anything about the hair 8-}, mine is naturally curly and I tried to straighten it for this costume, but it turned out a lot....*poofier*....than I'd intended. I'll have to work on that before C III. [face_blush]
  21. Tenyon Jedi Knight

star 2
    I don't think it looks 'poofy' at all. Did you see Mara's hair in her leather outfit, now *that's* poofy :p.
  22. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    They gave Mara mall hair! [face_laugh]

Yours is much nicer, Trace. :D
  23. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I agree on both counts. :)

24. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL. I would agree as well.
    And what's with the hair being almost purple? :eek: Ah well.

I think your costume looks great. :D I want to do that one some day.
    I have the same problem. My hair is too curly. I'm going to have to figure out something (other than wearing a wig) to do for CIII.

I have my new accurate bodysuit done and my new cape. I just took my belting into a shoe repair place to get it pieced together. I'm very excited! :D
  25. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    I saw some great fellow Mara's at CIII and stopped to get pictures with all of them that I saw. Perhaps some of them were you :) I've never posted on the costuming boards before. Here's a link to one of my pics from CIII where you can see most of my costume.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jedicallista/detail?.dir=2409&.dnm=f94a.jpg&.src=ph
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.