main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mara Jade Critics Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JediJSolo, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    I never said its not egotistical in our world.

OWLC

2. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    No sailor or fighter pilot names their ship/fighter after themself.

Actually, I've seen this many times in RL and in SW.

The Wild Karrde is a good example of a SW ship named after the owner.

My friend has a 40 ft. sail boat called Lucky Jason's. Heck, he named the dinhgy (sp) Jason's Dinhgy. :p

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, Obi-Wan's ship is called Kenobi's Blade , isn't it? I don't really mind that she names her ships after herself, and, if her ships are so important to her that she thinks that destroying one of them is a sacrifice (which it probably is), then I can see her naming them as Jade's [something] . Besides, maybe it's just personal preference, or something.

If I were to name my ship, I would never name it after myself, but that's beside the point.

:)

Aunecah

4. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    And Jade is just a good word to use on a name.

5. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

No sailor or fighter pilot names their ship/fighter after themself.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] As if that were such a big screaming deal...

There's been PLENTY of instances where a person would name a ship after themselves. The Wild Karrde and Kenobi's Blade are some good examples.

And Mara didn't name all of her ships. Luke gave her the Jade's Shadow, at least I think it was the Shadow, and he named it for her. The only ship Mara has actually named herself is the Jade's Fire.

So.

6. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    I never said it was a big deal. It's a criticism. This is Mara Jade's "Critics" club, not Mara Jades "fan" club. Why not nitpick? It's fun! You get to pick out things that are technically either silly or stupid about a character and their habits, though really don't matter in the long run and point them out to people! If anything, you should be comforted that Tiershon couldn't think of anything more important/interesting to critique.

Though I feel this does speak to an ego trip on Mara's part.

And it's pretty uncreative. I mean, it's one of those cases of an author deciding "Wow, my/this character has a cool name... let's use it as much as possible!"

Every character has ideosyncracies. It's just more fun to point out some characters than others.

7. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    And considering no one ever criticizes Mara in the books, I don't see why we can't criticize her here, even for silly things.

8. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I don't see what the criticizim is.

9. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Tiershon's right, it is pretty conceited. No sailor or fighter pilot names their ship/fighter after themself. Not only is it conceited, it's also unlucky. It shows that the pilot is more concerned with his/her own image than their ship. It's like jinxing oneself. You name your ship/fighter after lovers, animals, cities, respected personages, *never* yourself.

Uh yes unlucky in the world we live in. Their world is fantasy. A world where a sword can cut through almost anything. A world where there are jedi. This is not the world we live in. They do not live by our rules Coota.

Well, it is unlucky because she is on her third ship. If she was so lucky, she'd still have the first one.
    Now Han, he is lucky. If he would have named the Falcon, the Solo Traveller, or whatever, he would have been shot down in ESB. :p

My friend has a 40 ft. sail boat called Lucky Jason's. Heck, he named the dinhgy (sp) Jason's Dinhgy.

He will die. You know that, don't you?

10. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    I don't see what the criticizim is.

I think it's obvious from your signature, you are biased, just a little bit. [face_mischief]

Go to the fan club, if you can't stand the criticism.

Actually, Obi-Wan's ship is called Kenobi's Blade , isn't it?

We all know how lucky Obi-wan is. What a great life he had.

11. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Well, it is unlucky because she is on her third ship. If she was so lucky, she'd still have the first one.
    Now Han, he is lucky. If he would have named the Falcon, the Solo Traveller, or whatever, he would have been shot down in ESB.

She has a point... :eek:

Thats jsut cruel, clam down.

Seriously, Jade is just a good name for a ship name. You can't do that with Calrissian. Skywalker, Solo or Karrde yeah,
    but not Calrissian and such. My point is that some names can and are cool for ship names and some aren't. And Mara has a cool one.

I think it's obvious from your signature, you are biased, just a little bit.

I lurk over there. Liz won't let me leave. Help me help me now! :( :p

What I meant was that there really wasn't/isn't anything to criticize there. It was pointless anger really.

Go to the fan club, if you can't stand the criticism.

If you can't stand a counter post, go skoot over to SotJ.

12. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002

Thanks. [face_plain]

13. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    If he would have named the Falcon, the Solo Traveller, or whatever,

[attention_to_detail_nerd_mode] It was already named the Falcon when Lando won it. [/a_t_d_n_mode] :p

And I agree, if she were so lucky, she wouldn't keep losing these expensive ships.

14. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Mara isn't lucky, that's Han ;)

15. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Now Han, he is lucky. If he would have named the Falcon, the Solo Traveller, or whatever, he would have been shot down in ESB.

Uh TF its not like Han is still on his first ship. The Falcon is not his first, just his last.

OWLC

16. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Going by the amount of time that he?s had his ship, and comparing that to the amount of time that Mara has had any one of hers, Has is pretty lucky.

17. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Of course, we could just attribute that to his being Corellian... ;)

EDIT: and a much better pilot.

18. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    jadesaber: Of course, we could just attribute that to his being Corellian...

[face_laugh] !

Besides, Mara didn't lose the Jade's Fire in the exact sense of the word, she crashed her on purpose.

19. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

Going by the amount of time that he?s had his ship, and comparing that to the amount of time that Mara has had any one of hers, Han is pretty lucky.

Han has always been the exception to every rule, as we all know! [face_laugh]

You get to pick out things that are technically either silly or stupid about a character and their habits, though really don't matter in the long run and point them out to people!

[face_laugh]

It's just when people criticize a character they often pick out ONLY the silly or stupid things to argue about. It's like..."I hate Jar Jar because his ears flop when he runs."

The thing I would criticize Mara about is that in some books she's made out to be a bit too tough...it's like she's a nail. Or, they try to give her a sense of humor but it comes out as sarcasm and nothing else. It's like, geez, can't you do better than that?

Zahn...Zahn...we need you...help!

20. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    What do people mean the showers don't have water in them? How do they get clean? Didn't Luke take a shower in SotE? And Leia, too? (Not even on the same secter)

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    What do people mean the showers don't have water in them? How do they get clean? Didn't Luke take a shower in SotE? And Leia, too? (Not even on the same secter)

And they both thought of it as a huge luxery. I think they probably use sonic technology to clean themselves.

22. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000

And they both thought of it as a huge luxery. I think they probably use sonic technology to clean themselves.

I think that's silly. It's not like there's a water shortage in the galaxy. Lots of planets are all water. I guess a "sonic" shower is faster. What is sonic anyway? Sound waves? I don't know......
    *is skeptical*

23. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    Sure, there's plenty of water on some planets, but how do you get it to other planets?

Space ships only have a finite ammount of space, and many ships (especially the SSDs) have huge crews. They already have to provide enough water for the crew to survive, but they don't have enough for them to shower. Sonic technology is the only viable answer.

24. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    It?s not the only viable answer, but it?s definitely the cheapest in many cases. Though I get the felling that a sonic shower would tickle?

25. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    When did sonic showeres coem up? ?[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.