main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mara Jade Fan club- reborn!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thanos6, Nov 18, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    The horrible Double Post!

-Thanos6

[This message has been edited by Thanos6 (edited 12-29-1999).]

2. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Man, it's been a while since I posted in this thread.

Pansy?????

There is a HUGE difference between VIRTUE and PANSY. And Mara Jade is wise enough to know the difference. It takes enormous character strength to stand consistently for virtue. Notice in VotF how Mara Jade sees every one of Luke's character flaws . . . but realizes that even though he's blown it (thanks to an
    author or two), he is still desperately trying to do what is RIGHT.

Long live Mara . . . and Luke!!

Now that we know that Shmi52 is really Kathy Tyers, reread that passage and laugh out loud. Everyone try and guess who the "author or two" are.

Long live Mara Jade!

-Thanos6

3. aleja

aleja Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 1999
    Question though - No one (even Zahn is inconsistent on this point, it seems) on what her hair color is! Could anyone give the official word or the majority trend?

Red-gold. Zahn is pretty consistent, it's other authors who have called her hair auburn and -- thanks KJA -- brown.

And me like Mara!

4. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Augh! Thanos6 you beat me to it.

I was going to point out how interesting Kathy's (Shmi52) comments were, prior to her "decloaking". Nice to know she's an affirmed Luke/Mara lover.

I guess I never signed back up here either.

Jades Fire,
    An orginial member of the first Mara Lovers thread.

5. Shaeri

Shaeri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 1999
    Conscience, you'll make me weep yet!
    Here I was, having a blah New Year's Day (I was looking forward to the end of the world, and got disappointed), then you and Mara Jade, EH referred me here, and I don't know how to thank you!
    Anyway, enough of the soft stuff.
    Conscience, I respect your choice of Luke as your favorite character, but I will always and forever be a devoted follower of Mara Jade (provided she doesn't die a horrible death of shallow and incorrect characterization in NJO). Call it my ability to identify closely with her, call it my tendency to go for a complicated character, or just call it adherence to my junior high nickname, but no one will ever convince me that Mara Jade is not the best SW character ever!

Also sprach Shaeri.

6. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    In a thinly-veiled attempt to effect "toppers" on this forum, I would like to submit the following query:

What would members of this forum like to see in MJ's development for the future? Motherhood? Noble death? Evolving to a mentor-like status that Luke has achieved, or perhaps going in another direction?

I think it's relatively safe to say that MJ will survive this "bug" that was given to her... but then again, considering the current publishers apparent modus operandi, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for them to make MJ "one with the Force"...

Thoughts? Ideas? Desires? Fantasies?

7. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    Sorry, double-post!

[This message has been edited by Qui-John (edited 01-04-2000).]

8. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Good news everybody!

From the summary of NJO 4, Hero's Trial I've highlighted the part everyone should read:

After Chewbacca's death at the hand of the alien Yuuzhan Vong, Han Solo is full of grief and despair--and out for revenge. Turning his back on his family, he heads out in search of an old crony who may be working as a traitor, and finds more adventure than he bargained for. Along the way, he foils a Yuuzhan Vong plot aimed at the Jedi, gets ahead of something that may just be a cure for Mara Skywalker's terrible illness, and acquires a new sidekick whom he just can't seem to get rid of.

9. Obi-Wan Canoli

Obi-Wan Canoli Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 1999
    I would have to say that Mara Jade is an excellent character, and definately the best to come out of the EU. However, she only makes my top ten for all characters, and probably from 5-10. Obi-Wan is my favorite character, followed closely by Vader. Han, Luke, and Wedge follow, with Mara, Karrde, Lando, Chewie(bless his soul), and Tycho closing it out. There you have it. Mara rocks, but not the best, in my opinion.
    I'm glad she married Luke(what a lucky guy he is, huh?) and am not too pleased with the changes in her character in VP, but it can only get better, and it will.
    Thanks,
    OB1

10. Shaeri's conscience

Shaeri's conscience Jedi Youngling

May 1, 1999
    Qui-John, here you go:
    noble death?!?!?!?! are you kidding me? NEVER!!!!! (sorry, knee-jerk reaction)
    Ahem.
    Motherhood? hmmmmm.... It would be interesting to see if that would soften her up a bit (heheheheh...don't kill me, Shaeri!! I don't want her THAT soft), and the thought of Luke never having any kids is kinda depressing, Just NO TWINS!!!!!!!! Please!
    As for character development, I haven't read VP yet(stupid library's so slow), so I can't speak for that one, but it seems to me that Zahn had her just starting to learn how to recieve help from others, so that could keep going.
    Anyhoo, those'r my random thoughts.

11. TheB5Fan

TheB5Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 1999
    Mara was a soldier of Palpatine. She fought for her Empire and did her duty. She never thought she was doing anything wrong and she thought of the Rebels as bad. Luke explains this to her in SOTP and we see her thoughts in the Mara Jade comic book By the emperors hand. Luke destroyed the death star killing thousands...is he any worse than Mara? No they were just two ppl on two different sides. And the war is no more.

Luke is not messed up? Mara never said that "Yo skywalker you screw head lets get some things straight." He has always been the hero that has to save the day and takes on alot of responsibility. Being a Jedi makes him powerful but Mara gives him a dose of reality. Luke never did anything wrong? Going to the darkside and taking command of the imperial forces for a while and killing many republic ppl is not bad? Just read Dark Empire comic series which is the dark side that the characters talk about towards Luke in the book. Its just like Kyp killing the imperial planets....what about the innocent civilians...isnt that bad?

12. Lowbacca

Lowbacca Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 1999
    I like Mara alot
    She's one of my fav. characters, amont my top-10 favorites EU characters, in fact among my top-10 fav characters at all.

My top-10 fav. eu characters

1 and 2)Jacen and Jaina Solo (a match between these two)
    3, 4 and 5)The whole support trio from YJK (Tenel Ka, Lowbacca, Zekk)
    6)Thrawn - the most interesting bad guys because he was not so bad.
    7)Mara (because she's not the oh-let's-save-the-galaxy character that some other I could name are. She's more human than other mains. She sometime do things for herself instead of for the galaxy, unlike Leia and Luke. She's more like, say, Lando, on of my favorite movie characters) And I find her much better in Zhan novels than in other. Writters should always be consulted when another is about to use their characters. Mara and Fey'lya are simply not the same in Zhan and non-Zhan novels (among other characters)
    8)Corran (sp? I only read HoT duology with him in it)
    9)Kyp Durron (another character who is more human, less heroic)
    10)Borsk Fey'Lya (sp) (I do not like what he do, it's just that he's so much like the politicians we got that he make me laugh) (well, at least in Zhan novels. In BFC and VP he's not as fun as in Thrawn trilogy or HoT duology)

13. Corran's Girl

Corran's Girl Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2000
    Just gotta say that Mara Jade Skywalker is THE COOLEST SW character... EU or NOT. I could go into the reasons, but Mara Jade, The Emperor's Hand sums it up on pg. 1. (Yes, I think Mara is cooler that Corran, despite my username. He's my second fave.)
    Mara is so wizard!

14. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Don't Screw with Mara!

http://clubjade.jeffp.com/mara/gallery/oops.jpg

I pity the fool!

15. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    She can fight..
    She can crow... (hmmm, ..well, maybe, who knows?)
    She can fly... (anything's possible)
    Therefore she rocks!!!!

Long live Mara Jade and Luke of course

16. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    She doesn't even really need force powers to kick *** . But she does so she is even better

17. Nomi Jade

Nomi Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2000
    I haven't read a full Star Wars book yet, but I know enough about Mrs. Jade to say that I think SHE IS AWESOME!!!!!! I really hope that I can finish Shadows, Bakura, and Courtship soon ( not that they're not good!) so I can get to Mara. I don't like Mara and Luke together, seeing as I was devastated the day I read about the Callista thing, the Gaeriel thing, the Akanah thing....... Anyway, Mara's the only one of Luke's lovers that I LIKE! And I'm glad because if he married Callie, I would've had a nervous breakdown and probably starve myself to death because I was to sad and crazy to eat, but back to Mara.... She is brave, beautiful, and really went through alot ( as did everyone) but I wish that Mara was in Sote!!!! Of, and Luke, he is my fav, but Mara comes close!

May the Force be with you!

-Kaiba Ala Clouddrifter

you know that YODA! Yo-yo-yo-yo YODA song by Weird Al? Here's the Mara version:

Taken from her parents at an early age,
    Grew up with-in the Dark Side and was trained in rage,
    MARA, M-A-R-A-aaa!

Her hair is red, and her last name's Jade,
    Performing her tasks, she is never afraid,
    MARA, M-A-R-A-aaa ma-ma-ma-ma-Mara!Maraaaaaaaaaa......

Well, she met Luke one day as you have heard,
    An order from Palpy, in his last few words,
    MARA, Ma-ma-ma-ma-MARA

She met on Mount Tantiss with Jorrus C'boath,
    She killed Luke's clone and that was enough!
    MARA, ma-ma-ma-ma-MARA

Well she used the Force, she killed of some Imps, she's never a wimp, but she was brave and strong, she warmed up to Luke in time not long!

She joined the Allience as a Rebel you see,
    She piloted great, and was a Jedi-too-be,
    MARA, ma-ma-ma-ma-MARA

She mades some remarks but you'll see that behind,
    The other side of her, is very kind,
    MARA, ma-ma-ma-ma MARA!

She fell in love with Luke, and a life they'll share,
    She's the best EU woman out there....

MARA!!!!

18. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Great song! I love wierd Al and Mara so it kicked butt! Also I think you have a typo in you post since you say you don't like luke and mara together when you say you do.

19. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Damn many posts today in this thread heh. But I must make sure the point is known that Mara did not really mess with the Dark Side. Luke even says it in SOTP. She was just doing what she thought was right and never did it with evil purposes in mind. Hate and evil where not used in her jobs since she was just doing her job.

20. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Loved the song!!!

Okay, just to make things interesting, I propose a few Mara discussion topics we can share opinions about:

1. Mara's origin (I'm planning a fanfic around this one, so it's a topic of great interest to me)

2. Best/worst portrayals of Ms. Jade in the novels (IMHO, Zahn and KJA, respectively)

3. Who does Mara Jade most remind you of? (Real or fictional people)

And, of course, [BEGIN NAG] the schoolteacherish part of me insists that I remind everyone to keep it nice and civil, and respect everyone's opinions et al. [END NAG]

Any other discussion ideas, anyone? I love discussions...

See ya!

Peace,
    Mara Jade

21. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Mara's origin. This is a great topic, as long as her and luke arent related . Seen several fan fics with this topic. The emperor is her daddy by chance? Possible story where Luke accidently uncovers Mara's past when they are bonded. A story of her life growing up in the palace maybe? Up to what point does she remember? She didn't seem to want to remember in VOTF. Maybe a chance meeting of Luke and Mara when they were kids that they later remember.

Zahn always did a good job of potraying Mara and I think Stakepole did good in I, Jedi. KJA screwed up on the hair but he did write a little bit of what seemed to be Mara kinda softening up to Luke in Darksaber. Every other Author that has used Mara seems to just use the same old character for her as if she was just the tough chick who was there to help out for a while and really had nothing to do with the plot. Not used much in comics but the Mara Jade series was really good at showing Mara's life and how she felt.

Mara, she is very different from anyone I know even fictional. Maybe a female james bond? Sexy, tough, smart, sneaky, gives off wise cracks.

22. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Since this is a Mara Jade fan thread. How about some links to Mara fan sites! Luke is my fav character but Mara is my second and the best in EU! So here some links!

Club Jade: http://clubjade.jeffp.com/ http://clubjade.jeffp.com/

SkyJade's Page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quasar/3702/ http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quasar/3702/

Jade Crusader's: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~archjedi/ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~archjedi/

You want Fan fic? You want a lot of it? Visit : http://www.fanfix.com http://www.fanfix.com for tons of star wars stories and many contain Mara!

Visit the links section for a nice list of other Mara Jade fan sites which I don't want to post since im lazy. No other EU character has such a following!

23. Nomi Jade

Nomi Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2000
    maybe Mara has a vision, a dream or something, showing her parents, and then she remembers that she saw they later in life, maybe in disguise or something.

p.s. I know some of the words didn't fit in the song, but ya'll get the idea, right?

24. Shaeri

Shaeri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 1999
    In response to one of your discussion topics, Mara Jade, EH, I would have to say that Mara Jade reminds me of Shaeri's Conscience, who, ironically, claims to be more like Luke. She's got the sarcasm, the dry wit, and sometimes even the tough exterior. And, most importantly, she's not afraid to get in someone's face in order to point out that they're in the wrong.

25. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Back from the ashes! Heh. Well, anyone else would be really upset if they killed off Mara in NJO? Especially so soon after the wedding. I know I would.

Who else do you believe can write Mara almost as good as Zahn has?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.