main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mara Jade Fan club- reborn!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thanos6, Nov 18, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I thought I'd post here today for a couple of reasons:
    I'm tired of always seeing the Callista club on page one, and the kriffing bookstore didn't have Onslaught yesterday, so my dh bought Tales from the New Republic for me instead - gotta give him an A for effort!

So I read "Jade Solitaire" last night. WOW!! I know I'm probably behind the times here, but may I just say again, WOW!! It occurred to me while reading this, that Mara has got to be the ultimate secret agent/weapon. Having been trained by the Sith and the Jedi, one would certainly not want to be on her blacklist.
    These characteristics also remind me more and more of Luke and his brief encounters with the Dark Side coupled with his power as a Jedi Master. No wonder they are so perfect for each other!

Jumping in on a couple of previous topics here:
    Re: the "rant" in VotF - let me just say that the definition of soulmate is the person who can see you for exactly who you are, acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses, and still care for you unconditionally. All of the Luke & Mara "confrontations" in VotF were showing us and them that they are, in fact, soulmates. IMHO.

Who can write her as well as Zahn? I think Stackpole did a great job with her in I, Jedi and I can't wait to see her in Onslaught, whenever the bookstores around here enter the 21st century! I'm also looking forward to seeing how KT (aka SHMI52) writes her in the NJO!

Who does she remind me of-real or fictional? My perfect version of Mara Jade would have the looks and combat skills of Emma Peel (as portrayed by Uma Thurman in The Avengers) with the intelligence and intensity of Dana Scully!

-Trace

2. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Kathy has said that Zahn gave his approval of her writing of one of the characters in Balance Point. Since the other character he became famous for is dead, I'm guessing she meant Mara.

3. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Don't forget Pellaeon, or Talon Karrde...

-Thanos6,
    OMBB&B and VSoSS

PS You're doing a good job with this thread, people!

4. TheB5Fan

TheB5Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 1999
    I think I beat my record for once and read Onslaught in one day! Woo!
    POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS

There is alot of Luke and Mara romance in this novel and we get to see them act like a couple unlike Savlvatore did with Vector Prime where they were always apart practically. Also alot of kisses were exchanged

Another question brought up from Onslaught....does Mara have a tattoo? Mara once again still puts up a fight even with her disease and it looks as if she is just gonna fight harder! Great action and I hope for more romance in Ruin.

5. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    So I was watching this movie the other night and a certain favorite heroine of ours came to mind. And since there is a lot of discussion around the JC about putting faces with names, I thought I'd throw this one out.

What do you think? Minus the text, of course!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/1998/avengers/poster2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 02-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 02-18-2000).]

6. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Hmmmm.....Not working. Sorry guys - let me work on it!

7. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    What movie? I might know what your talking about.

8. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    I think I will forever picture Mara as Mira Sorvino. The likness is uncanny if you ask me. Watch Mira in Mimic, I swear that gave me mental pictures of what she could do as Mara in an actual SW movie.

9. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Hey, hey! It finally worked! Just give it a minute or two to appear above!

10. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Well they drew her almost like Mira Sorvino in Union. A small amount of work in the physical department and I think Mira would make a great Jade, just needs a little muscle tone.

11. Myka Jade Skywalker

Myka Jade Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2000
    I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara.
    She KICKS Butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Myka Jade Skywalker

Myka Jade Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2000
    I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara.I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara. I like Mara.
    She KICKS Butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    ^--- this green-eyed cutie is a GODDESS!!!

You know Grace, from Wil and Grace? The NBC show? WEEEEEELl, she is just cute and perfect as a MAra! She's my top choice for MAra

14. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    IMHO someone who would make a good Mara is the red-haired actress who plays ex-soldier Maggie on the show Sliders. I think her name is Katie something. Her looks, stature, and character's fierce nature are the spitting image of Mara Jade. She even has sharp green eyes and looks good in army attire. I saw a scene with her in a green (or should I say jade ) dress on TV one day and thought, "That's Mara."

15. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    What about the model they got for the Mara Jade CCG card? I don't about everyone else but I did not really like her. She very nice looking and all but the hair is oh so wrong. Especially the color! Red/Gold, not black/red like KJA made it. Wonder if more EU characters will be made into CCG cards

16. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    I've always sort of seen Mara as similar to Gillian Anderson as Dana Scully in the X-files (of course, she's my favorite actress, so I'm not exactly unprejudiced in my opinion). Anderson looks just like I picture Mara, and Scully has similar wit and intelligence. Plus both characters kick butt!

Anyway... let's see if we can keep this thread near the top. I'm sick of the Callista threads getting so much attention. Don't get me wrong, I like Callista, but the only reason those threads get to many posts is because they're FILLED with flaming. Same reason there's been four of them (the current one is Part III, but there was one between the first and Part II... aw, who cares?)

And, of course, I've got to say:

MARA RULES!!!

--Mara Jade

17. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Gilian Anderson would be a good Mara Jade, yet I think she is a little to short...of course a side by side comparison of her and Luke would help. To me from her compared to Mulder in the show, she looks to short, but of course Luke isn't extremely tall....anyone know the size of Mark Hamill and Gilian Anderson?

18. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Don't get me wrong, I love X-files, but I'm not so sure if Gillian Anderson could do it. She does a great job as Special Agent Dana Scully, but I just don't see it... right now, I don't really have anybody in mind to play the character or whatever, but there's got to be somebody.

Oh, and Waning Drill, I think I know who you're talking about. Is that the episode where they almost made it back home, but when they got there, the character you mentioned couldn't breathe, and so they had to jump out of there? I seem to remember thinking the same thing as I was watching that show. Red hair, green eyes, looks great in army fatigues, and can beat the tar out of just about anyone who'd look at her funny. She'd make a great Mara Jade...

19. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Well, im not a X-Files fan but I think she could possibly play the role. But of course the best choice would be Mira Sorvino. Hell Mara looks like Mira Sorvino in union series. I think Mara in the Union series is the best rendition of her, anyone got any favorite renditions of this Skywalker?

20. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Mira Sorvino? Hmmm... I don't know about that one... I have a healthy respect for her, but I'm not sure she's right for the role... <Shrug>

Just doesn't strike me as possessing the calm, cool, graceful demeanor coupled with the acidic tongue and extreme butt-kicking ability that we've all come to know and love...

21. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Well in reality I don't know any actress that looks exactly right for Mara. I think Mira could do it, though we never seen her play such a character. I think a little training like Linda Hamilton did for Terminator 2 would help out a possible Mara Jade actress. Hell I think Linda Hamilton from T2 could play the role, yet she has aged a bit so maybe not. In my mind its a tough Mira Sorvino though.

"Were going to pump, you up!"

22. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Ok here is an *** kicking Mara for you.

http://www.geocities.com/theb5fan/t2.jpg

Oh damn Luke must have left the seat up again. RUN LUKE!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by TheB5Fan (edited 02-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by TheB5Fan (edited 02-22-2000).]

23. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    ahhh heres another possible Jade. Lets see who else I can find to be a good choice.

http://www.geocities.com/theb5fan/Mira.jpg

Oh and she did play a tough girl in The Replacement Killers, a John Woo film

24. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    http://www.geocities.com/theb5fan/bak.jpg

Well this is the one Decipher chose. A comb would help her out I think.....I just don't like that Decipher didn't even interview ppl for the part and picked the first person the photographer mentioned.

25. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999

100 POSTS!! Way to go everybody! We'll catch up to that Callista thread yet!

Re: actresses for Mara

I'm still sticking with Uma Thurman/Emma Peel up there. Not only did she have the look - but she had the 'tude and moves to go with it!!

MJ,EH: Until I saw The Avengers I would definitely have said Gillian Anderson!

TheB5Fan: Mira is cute, but she looks pretty young in that pic. That would be a good one for the "dancer at Jabba's palace" age, if not before, since she is supposed to be the same age as Luke.

Anybody else? Seems like someone posted a good shot of one of the ST ladies in another thread somewhere. Or does someone have a good shot of Gillian we could use?

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 02-22-2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.