Mara Jade Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Hope, Apr 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    "So. . . what can we do to decorate this place? Since we're new maybe we could have a "get to know you" time where we make introductions and say a bit about why we're Mara fans and how we got interested in the EU."

Well, this is a pretty strange story. This kid at my school made fun of me for not having ever seen 'Star Wars,' so that weekend, I rented the trilogy and watched them all. I fell in love. That day, I went down to the comic store, and asked if there was such a thing as a 'Star Wars Comic.' The nice lady working there said yes, and showed me the newest comic, 'Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.' A lousy comic, but still, I fell in love. I re-read it over and over again. Later that week, I had my mom bring me to the bookstore, and I bought 'Heir to the Empire.'

That was when I met Mara Jade. Now, personally, I had always hated Luke, and I loved anything that had to do with the Empire (I always side with the bad guys?). The Empire has cooler looking ships, cooler outfits, cooler music, and cooler characters. So of course, when this striking woman with red-gold hair and a flaming attitude was introduced, and wanted to kill Luke, I knew she was the coolest. I remember re-reading all of her scenes in the book. I loved the fact that she was a special agent of the Empire. I read the rest of Zahn's trilogy, and was astonished to learn there was even a Zahn Trilogy comic being published. When 'Heir to the Empire' comic #1 came out, I was ecstatic. By then, my appreciation of the Emperor's Hand only grew.

I bought almost any Star Wars book I could find, and well as many Roleplaying books, and tons of comics. Since then, there hasn't been one day when I haven't thought about Star Wars or Mara Jade. Obsessed? Maybe, but it's what I love.

So, that's my story on how I was introduced to Mara Jade and Star Wars. I've been a long-time fan of hers.

"Mara Jade - a Jedi Master?"

I know I read in some interview that Lucasfilm thought about Mara's situation, and decided to give her the title of Jedi Master, given the strengths she'd shown through out the time. Notice she hasn't been a Jedi Master the whole of the New Jedi Order. I don't know if her title is official to many Jedi, but she has shown a significant amount of power and knowledge. I think it is high time Mara became a Jedi Master. After all, she's married to Mr. Head Jedi - don't you think that being so close to him (also opening herself up to him in the Force - VotF - and having their spirits merge, if you will), she would have learned much more about what is it to be a Jedi?

"What to name the Skycrawler?"

I've voiced my opinion in the appropriate thread - but I'll double enter in this case.

I would really like to see something original. If I had to choose, I'd like Kane, or Brennan. I won't be too upset if they name the child Ben, but what a lack of creativity!

I would personally prefer a name that had meaning. Something similar to "Savior." Now, I'm not expecting the child's name to be Jesus, or anything, but still. I really like Alexander, "Protector of Cities."

"Karrde, the Skycrawler's Godfather?"

Um?I don't think so. I didn't know SW has Godparents like on Earth. And it almost seems to me that Karrde and Mara are steadily growing apart. Shada has totally taken over, and Mara doesn't have much of a connection (or so it seems) with Karrde at all anymore. That's just my opinion.

Hum. I've been working on my Mara Jade website religiously lately. For those of you that would be interested in checking it out, please visit us at:

http://jadecrusades.bigsitecity.com/jadecrusades.html

If anyone has any FanStuff to contribute to Jade Crusades, please contact me at jades_fire168@yahoo.com or PM me. Jade Crusades 2.0 will hopefully be very Fan Based. We would like all of your opinions. The site officially opens April 14, so keep checking back this week for updates!

I've also been working on my Mara Jade photoshoot - taking more mock-costume photos, and whatnot. A professional seamstress will in start the black leather costume Apr
  2. Hope Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello,

I have been a Luke fan from the very begining (1977). He has always been might favorite Star Wars character and always will be.
    I've like Mara ever since picking up a copy of HTTE in 1991. I've always felt that Mara was the *One* for Luke. I like Mara because of her loyalty, street smarts, and I like how she will tell you exactly what she thinks about you. She's a survivor and she really doesn't give a damn about what people think of her. She doesn't give her loyalty or trust easily, but when she does it's for keeps, she's the the type of person you'd want at your side whenever you find our self in those 'sticky' situations. It's not easier for her to allow people to get close to her, but when they do they'll find that she's a loving, caring and compassionate person.

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about the direction the NJO is heading? I feel that the older generation is being pushed to the background to the point where they're become useless. It's the kids who have all the answers, solving all the problems, seeing all the action while Luke and co. are sitting around twiddling their thumbs being useless. There's no balance. I can't beleive that at the age of 43/44, DelRey is basically telling us that Luke is a washed up old man not capable of lifting his lightsaber without passing out. What kind of message is DelRey/LFL sending us - that if you're over the age of eighteen you suddenly become an over-the-hill has been? Even Kyp, at the ripe of old of 32, is being pushed into the background in favor of the super teens.
    I have to admit that I'm looking forward to Rebirth less and less. I hate to say it, but I think the baby will be just another excuse to keep Luke (and Mara) permanently in the background. And since the Solo kids are now the stars of the show, then there's really no need to keep Leia and Han around. I think this quote from Conquest says it all:

"However this ends with the Yuuzahn Vong, it won't be me that ends it, or Kyp, or any of the older Jedi. It will be someone new."

If this is the way Luke and co. will be treated, then I really see no reason in continuing this series. Luke, who is in the prime of his life and about to become a father, is being reduced to an old washed up has been who has one foot in the grave. It really is sad seeing what these characters have become. Unless DelRey can assure us that things will be different for Luke, Leia, Mara etc., then Conquest is the last NJO book I'm buying.

Sorry for the rant
  3. Tallie Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have three brothers so I went through all three of them being SW obsessed, I never got into it but I saw the movies about as much as any regular fan.....that was until Episode one came out. Whatever you thought of it I loved it. Right after the movie we went to the bookstore where I discovered the Young Jedi Knight books, the prospect of Han and Leia's kids was too tempting and before I knew it I was in a swarm of Star Wars, I had posters and figures and eventually a collection of 107 books. The books are what hooked me, I've always been a reader. Now all my brothers have declared me a Star Wars freak, my mom says I'm worse than they ever were....probably true I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner! [face_blush]

I had no idea about Star Wars books being in an order so I read VOTF before the HTTE trilogy, I loved the idea of someone standing up to Luke, and of Luke being married. That book was a master piece! of coarse this only heightened my hate for Callista in Children of the Jedi :mad: But Mara quickly became my favorite. She never let anything knock her down, but she wasn't a super woman...she's just plain cool! :p

4. Tallie Jedi Knight

star 2
    That being said and done....I haven't liked the unrealistic age dealings in NJO. But thinking back for Luke anyway, his apearent weakness seems to come from fear. Fear weakens people, Luke is so afraid of turning people to the darkside he's paralized himself. He can't bring himself to wage war against the Vong because it COULD be of the darkside so he acts defensivly, out of fear. That makes him seem old, endless worry, indecsion ?[face_plain] , and stress are imobilizing him, he can't bring himself to risk turning to the darkside so he does nothing but quiver. It's like a person who almost drowns as a child, they realize how close they were to death so instead of learning how to swim they avoid water all together, Luke has been doing this for quite some time.

He's waking up though . It's a slow process but the signs are there. The way he talked to Borsk Fey'lya ( :mad: ) in Conquest and his actions in Onslaught are proof of that. When Anakin tells of his experiances on Yavin 4 (I won't elaborate because I think it's the best part of the book and I don't want to spoil it) Luke will come to his senses :eek: , after all he'll have a son, a little boy who he'll want to grow up in a peaceful galaxy. He's also got Mara for a wife, she'll never let him stay inactive....I mean it's MARA!!!!!! :D
  5. Tallie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ok ok, I think I've got a name now. How about Simon? Simon Skywalker, it doesn't sound 'too Earthy' (to me) and it's more 'normal' than my other suggestions (no offense taken BTW). Also the name Simon is connected to visions, which fits for a child of two Jedi. Many of you like Kane, which is Biblical (even when spelled differently) George Lucas seemed to use Biblical names too (Luke and Ben) Simon Peter was known as the rock for his faith in the Bible. So Simon would relate to faith. I think it's a good name :D how about you ?[face_plain]

6. Hope Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, I have to agree with you that Luke does seem to be paralyzed by his fear. I think it's sad that he's been redudced to this - to scared to do anything but watch the galaxy fall apart around him. Nothing in his speech to Borsk has convinced me that Luke is about to get up off of his butt and do something. And what did his actions in Onslaught prove? That poor Luke can't even lift a finger without fainting. What is he going to be like with a newborn infant on his hands? And the impending birth of his son does not seem to have had any effect on him. I've tried to remain optimistic about this series, but I just don't see things changing for the better.
  7. Tallie Jedi Knight

star 2
    The coming birth of his child hasn't affected him because as long as the kid's inside Mara he's safe but when Luke actually sees his son reality will smack him in the face. I was talking about how he rescued Jacen then Anakin and Mara. I know he got weak after that but he did act....that means he will take the offense if pushed hard enough. I'm talking about when Luke said he wouldn't forget how Fey'lya sold out his students, it's a small step but it's a step. When Anakin presents his findings Luke'll have a way out. I don't think he likes being forced into inaction but he can't find a way to sanctify any offensive action against the Vong, but once Anakin tells what happened to him (about Yoda and other things) Luke will eventually accept it. I'm sure he'll resist at first but Anakin's right, Luke'll realize that sooner or later, and with Mara by his side it'll most likely be sooner. Luke, like Mara is a fighter, he won't be able to sit still for much longer.
  8. MRukundo Jedi Youngling

star 1
    As I recall, Kyp killed a bunch of stormtroopers when he blew up Carida. And for the foolish civilians who decided to settle on an Imperialistic world...careless people die early. And if you read the comic books, you'll see that Mara Jade also helped destroy the old Jedi Order (Dark Woman?) etc. And now she thinks she is part of the New Jedi Order. However, I know that for every one person with sense in this forum, there are about a million others who don't.
  9. rngenzi Jedi Youngling

I agree MRukundo. Mara Jade is no less ruthless than Kyp. And what is this about Kyp being too young to be a jedi master? How old was Adi Gallia? Didn't Kyp and Mara start training at the same time? Didn't Kyp learn faster? These questions answer all of those questionable statements. And how would Mara Jade beat Kyp?, I remember Kyp being alot stronger than Mara in the force and no less experienced in the light side, am I correct? Oh well it doesn't matter what you all think, I am always right.

Long Live Kyp!!
    Short Live Mara!!
  10. ImperialGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ooohkay...so every innocent civillian on Carida deserved to die, even though in all probablity they'd been there long before the Imperial Academy and would have been there after it left? By that reasoning the Allies should have slaughtered every German, Italian and Japanese left standing after World War II and allowed the Serbians to exterminate the Croatians because a few of them had been Ustasha (Croat SS.) And as far as we know, Mara would have been all of two or unborn when the Jedi were exterminated in bulk, presupposing that event will coincide with Episode Three and the birth of the twins Luke and Leia. Even if a few were left, if she is younger than Luke (which I believe has been established) then by the time she was old enough to do anything serious. Remember, as far as the Old Order goes, Ben and Yoda were it. Two of thousands. (Hm...balance in the Force at last?)

And I'll reiterate--Mara has taken the time to repent and reconsider. Kyp talked to a ghost/hallucination of his brother and is forgiven? Uh...huh. He's not sorry at all. As far as he's concerned, the end justifies the means.
  11. Tallie Jedi Knight

star 2
    You know you trolls are getting on my nerves! Why don't you take your "Mara's evil' crap OUT of the Mara jade FAN CLUB!!!!!

As for your stupid statement about Cardia...you say we have no sense???? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! It doesn't matter who he killed the fact is he blew up a planet! If you're going to go that way then you can say the Empire wasn't so bad, after all Alderaan was just a planet of diplomats!!!! Give me a break! And yes Mara DID help distroy the old Jedi, she was under the Emporer's power and she repented and was forgiven for that. As was Kyp, you also know by coming here you're only making people hate Kyp more. I used to think he was ok but you're changing my mind, if trolls like him how good can he be?
  12. rngenzi Jedi Youngling

I think that saying that anyone who lives under imperials is as bad as the imperials. They have no morals and pay the price. Kyp was being an idiot when he blew Carida, but I do not think that he is any worse than Mara Jade is. Your meaningless chatter over WWII is not what the point is and you should understand that as much as you like Mara Jade, Kyp is better. Oh, by the way, Mara Jade gave Dark woman's whereabouts to Darth Vader and he killed her. Had she not done that, Dark Woman would of lived. Therefore, you are wrong. Kyp Durron has no malice toward Mara or Corran or Jacen or whoever but they dislike him because they feel that he will turn to the dark side again and kill them all. Have you ever seen Kyp glare or act snotty to Mara and her cronies? If you have, get a mental evaluation.
  13. Tallie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Listen Mara could beat Kyp any day of the week, and who gives a rip how fast Kyp learned, just means he'll forget it faster. I say we ignore the trolls from now on and send in warnings for flaming to the Gatherer or whoever warns them. They're just annoying! :mad:
  14. Hope Jedi Master

star 4
    rngenzi/Mrukundo:
    In case you have noticed, this is not the Kyp fan club. Coming in this thread and trashing characters will not in any way help you get your point across.

Tallie:
    <<The coming birth of his child hasn't affected him because as long as the kid's inside Mara he's safe but when Luke actually sees his son reality will smack him in the face>>

How is the child any safer in Mara? Has Luke forgotten that the disease could come back at any time, affecting not only Mara but the baby. I sure hope reality smacks Luke upside his head before his son is born.

The Vong have taken control of countless worlds, enslaved, tortured and killed countless beings (including Jedi and Chewie), poisoned his wife etc. If none of this has caused Luke to take a stand, then what will? What will cause Luke to stand up and say that enough is enough? Will he wait until his wife and child are dead or will he wait until the Jedi are all but gone?
    I hate seeing what Luke has become - an old useless man who's scared of his own shadow.
  15. niqella Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello! My goodness the first time I've had a chance to pop in in months and look at all this change. Change is good though, and its nice to hear so many famillar names.

Baby names: I'm still pulling for Callum (Peace)

Conquest: Just picked it up and although there isn't much M&L -- the substance of what there is makes Rebirth promising. The exchange at the bottom of page 31 is lovely and I thought I would treat you to it.

So, If you don't want to be spoiled close your eyes and hit the page down button a few times :) . . .

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

"He took her in his arms and let her stroke away the worst of his doubts with her hand and the radiance within her.
    "I love you, Mara," he breathed, after a time.
    "I love you, too," she replied.
    "It's hard to watch it all fall apart."
    "It's not falling apart, Luke. You have to believe that."
    "I have to be strong for them. I have to be an example. But today --"
    "Yes, I saw it. You had a moment of weakness. I think I'm the only one who noticed."

E
    N
    D

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

You have to love a great marraige.

Take care,
    Ella
  16. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Hi Hope,

I agree with what you have said about the
    direction that Del Rey is taking the NJO,
    and I said something very similar in the Lit section.
    I posted under the topic Luke Skywalkers role
    in the NJO- A Dead one? I have been very
    disappointed with what they have done to him.
    And unless something is done soon to stop
    making all the OT characters sound Old,
    tired and stupid, while all the Kids have
    all the answers, I may not be reading much
    longer myself. Recently a few of my friends
    and I
    complained to Ms Shapiro about this very thing.
    I can't say that her reply was very encouraging.
    Though she meant it to be.

Mara as a Jedi Master. I think she is capable of being one. She certainly has had
    more than enough
    training, first as the Emperors hand, and then with
    Luke over the years. Certainly since they have
    been married, he has privately trained her,
    so I have no problem with it.
  17. Hope Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw your topic in the Lit forum, Mariah. I decided to post my response here because I seem to be spending more time in the EU community than in the Lit.

I don't mind the Solo kids. I actually like Jaina and Anakin, but I feel they (especially Anakin) are completely hogging the spotlight. Why can't Luke and co share the spolight with the younger generation? Why does it have to be either or? DelRey seems to be beating us over the head with the whole age issue (if your young then you're smarter and better than everyone else - if you're over thirty then you're old and useless). Luke is my favorite character with plenty of years left in him. I just hate seeing being used/abused in this way.
    I'm still hoping that things will change and Luke will wake up and show everyone the meaning of Jedi Master.

I know my last couple of posts have been pretty negative, but I just had to let off some steam.

the name issue:
    I don't mind an *Earth* type name, but I think the only way it would work would be to change the spelling (Jason=Jacen). I noticed that a couple people chose Nathan. How would you change this name to fit in with the GFFA? Or would it even need to be changed?
  18. Thanos6 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm...

Naythen?

Neythan?

N'yten?
  19. Lordban Force Ghost

star 5
    He should be named Samwise :D
  20. MJ.Frodo Jedi Master

star 4
    Afternoon guys!!

First welcome back Niqella and Mazzic,nice to see more members of the old board here. And good to see so many different opinions here! Thank you being so honest!!

I love the quote you mention in your post, Niqella, sorry guys but I loved those mush romantic stuff between Mara and Luke too. It?s a nice read,different from all the cruels of the war. I?d like to see a lot more stuff like this, if I?m honest.

MJ2 Interesting, could you tell us more about the respond of Mrs Shapiro?? Thanks!

CURE MARA!!
  21. MJ.Frodo Jedi Master

star 4
    Re:JediMaster I agreed with Tallie,who said that now in the NJO alot of Jediknights became a JediMaster so soon. Luke called himself a JediMaster in the Dark Empire series,but no explanation why and how to the readers. Well in VotF we can read it was too early. But why or why not.?? Quote out of VotF: ? Such as unilaterlly declaring yourself a JediMaster after less than ten years on the job?. That?s what annoyed me the most, that not any author can explain why or why not??. Or that we cann?t find any books or source which criteria,level, or stage of your Jediknight being you need to become a JediMaster. It would be great to read about such a Jediknight becoming a JediMaster ceremony in one book. And yes I?ve heard too that you need more years in the Old Rep, to become a Jediknight or Master. Of course I know that Luke doesn?t have much info from the Old Rep. about it,and perhaps things are allowed now or have to accelerate to teach Jedichildren.

CURE MARA!!
  22. MJ.Frodo Jedi Master

star 4
    M.Rukundo?I know that for every one person with sense in this forum, there are about a million others who don't. ?

mgenzi.? Your meaningless chatter over WWII is not what the point is and you should understand that as much as you like Mara Jade, Kyp is better. ?

Btw ImperialGirl post isn?t an meaningless chatter,but has valuable points.

It doesn?t make any sense to debate with other people if you insult them or bashing the charactere they like,and certainly not in a Fanclub! It?s waste of time and energy,that you can better filled with post in your Fanclub . please try it reasonable and diplomatic/tactful,if and without hurting or offend the people feelings here. If not we?ll ignore your post. Notice that you only increased the postcount of this thread. Thanks!

MARA SKYWALKER ROCKS!!
  23. MJ.Frodo Jedi Master

star 4
    Hm about Mara?s age, sorry Imperialgirl, but it?s mentioned in the BP thread that Mara is two years older than Luke actually. It?s not explained why though. Yes it?s the SW Universe inconsistent unfortunately.

CURE MARA!!
  24. MJ.Frodo Jedi Master

star 4
    I don?t think that?s fear what Luke?s motivation is regarding his inactivity. Fear is of the Dark Side (Anakin Skywalker in T.A.B) and I don?t think that Luke actually is influenced by Dark Side. I think he?s more waitíng for a sign of the Force to strike. I agreed there should be done something very quickly against the Vong. There were alot of cruel things happened. But hey have more patient, we?ve more books in the future,which will certainly give us more insight why Luke have the handle the situation different as some of us want to see now.
    I think that we cann?t compare the situation Earthlike, that?s not fair.
    There are a million planets and billion of people exist in the SW galaxy which have Luke?s and the Jedi attention. Not to talk about the Yuuzhan Vong itself. Now how and where to beginn?? The Vong are an intelligent race,and a worthy but cruel opponent,and certainly very well armed, so it?s hard to deal with.

MARA SKYWALKER ROCKS!!
  25. MJ.Frodo Jedi Master

star 4
    Hope "I know my last couple of posts have been pretty negative, but I just had to let off some steam. "

Thats okay Hope,were are friends good for ??? [face_laugh]

I personally don't mind at all. :D

the name issue:
    I don't mind an *Earth* type name, but I think the only way it would work would be to change the spelling (Jason=Jacen). I noticed that a couple people chose Nathan. How would you change this name to fit in with the GFFA? Or would it even need to be changed?

Thanos already mention some examples,but I don't have any clue, Nathen sounds good or not?? :D heheh Samwise [face_laugh]

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.