main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mara Jade Hater Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by rngenzi, Apr 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    First off, I'm going to say Mara is one of my favorite characters. However, if you don't like her, hey-I don't care.

However, I think some people here have some serious issues. CHILL. Quit taking it so personally. If you don't like her, fine. But yeesh, liking a character or not isn't something that should be used against another as a personal insult!

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I like Mara Jade-Skywalker.

Goody for you. Now, considering that practically every other thread in this forum is full of Mara love, why don't you stick to them and let the haters of the red-gold strumpet have one whole thread to themselves?

3. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    First off, I'm going to say Mara is one of my favorite characters. However, if you don't like her, hey-I don't care.

However, I think some people here have some serious issues. CHILL. Quit taking it so personally. If you don't like her, fine. But yeesh, liking a character or not isn't something that should be used against another as a personal insult!

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. "If you don't like her...hey, I don't care." Then: "Some people here have serious issues."

If you don't care whether people hate the red-gold strumpet, why are you telling people who hate her that they have issues?

As I said above, this entire forum is full of threads which worship the red-gold strumpet. Why do Mara-lovers come to a thread which is clearly marked for Mara-haters and start preaching and policing? It would be like me going into the Mara Fan Club and saying, "How come you love her so much? You've got serious issues, idolizing an assassin who served the most evil guy in the galaxy."

4. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Because I was curious.

And because I think you're taking this whole thing way too seriously.

I'm saying-fine if you don't like her. Fine if you do. But don't say to people who do like the character that they're stupid whores, or people who don't like her that they're just idiots or whatever.

People, RELAX. You know, you can have a discussion without resorting to personal insults?

Calm down. That "assasin strumpet" or whatever? She's just a character in the EU. It's not like she's the Secretary of State or whatever. Just CHILL!!!

5. Shadoloo

Shadoloo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2002
    This is the most pathetic thread I have been to so far. By trying to bash Mara, you have only attracted her fans.

Mara haters would have done better going into the Mara fan clubs and voicing their opinions there, instead of creating another thread for Jade lovers

6. Jedi_JoJo

Jedi_JoJo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    <You've got serious issues, idolizing an assassin who served the most evil guy in the galaxy." >

LMAO! Darth Vader is A LOT more popular than MJ...are his fans seriously messed up? 0o

I just think hate threads in general stink of fanaticism :[ (yes, more than fan threads do) Hate is a strong word to be tossing about.

It scares me that people can "hate" something so inconsequential as a fictional character -.- This, children, is why terrorism exists :[ No, this hatred is not on that scale :p (duh) but its PROFESSED hatred.

Grow up.

7. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Because I was curious.

And because I think you're taking this whole thing way too seriously.

Wait, I thought you didn't care.

I'm saying-fine if you don't like her. Fine if you do. But don't say to people who do like the character that they're stupid whores,

I didn't. Conversely, I'd appreciate Mara fans not coming in here and offering their dime-store psychology.

or people who don't like her that they're just idiots or whatever.

But it's okay for Mara fans to come in here and preach and tell people they're pathetic and patronize them?

Calm down. That "assasin strumpet" or whatever? She's just a character in the EU. It's not like she's the Secretary of State or whatever. Just CHILL!!!

Seems to me like you're the one who needs to calm down and CHILL. I know the red-gold strumpet is a character. Therefore it does no harm whatever to hate her. It's not like she exists and is sitting over in a corner sobbing because I insulted her.

Personally, I'm more alarmed by the vicious hatred shown toward the man who created SW, on many other threads all over this entire message board. Unlike the red-gold strumpet, he is a real person.

8. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    LMAO! Darth Vader is A LOT more popular than MJ...are his fans seriously messed up?

Er...do you not understand the concept of sarcasm? No, clearly not.

And clearly you did not get the point I was trying to make. What I said was that you coming in a thread that is called the Mara Jade Hater Club and getting all preachy toward people for hating her would be akin to me going into the Mara Jade Fan Club and criticizing the people there for idolizing an assassin who once served the evil Emperor. I have not done this. You, however, have come in here all full of your moral righteousness, preaching to people because they hate a character you idolize.

In any case, Vader redeemed himself, and he was once a good man. Not so for Mara. She's yet to show an ounce of regret for anything she's done--just self-pity over losing the power and prestige she got serving the Emperor. Vader sacrificed his life. Mara sacrificed...what? Her ship? Waaaaaaahhhhh. Meanwhile every character in the book bows down before her Red Gold Magnificence. She's even free to preach the Jedi creed to Luke. Who knew the son of the Chosen One was such an incompetent wuss that he must defer to the red-gold strumpet who once served evil?

It scares me that people can "hate" something so inconsequential as a fictional character -.- This, children, is why terrorism exists :[

You have GOT to be kidding. You're now equating people who hate some useless fictional character to terrorists?

Where's the self-styled sanity police...aren't you going to tell this Jedi_JoJo person to CHILL, or is it okay for her to spread her intolerance in the guise of discouraging hatred?

No, this hatred is not on that scale :p (duh) but its PROFESSED hatred.

Grow up.

So let's get this straight: it's okay for Mara Jade idolizers to come in here and equate people who hate the red-gold strumpet to terrorists and tell them to "grow up." It's not okay for people to insult a fictional character.

What's wrong with this picture?

9. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    Okay, let's try to make this simple.

Why are threads like this useful?

Because sometimes, I can only hear so much praise and wonder about a character that, personally, I can't stand, before I just want to start SCREAMING.

This is where I can SCREAM. I can get it out of my system. I then return to the other discussions, and life moves on.

This is supposed to be a haven for those of us who sometimes just need to ask each other "Why do they like her? Why? It makes no sense!" and have someone say "Yes, I agree, it makes no sense. You are not the only person in the world that feels this way." We can then breathe a little easier, and continue.

If we do this in the middle of a discussion which is dominated by people who will call us "stupid" or "unenlightened" or something similar, it only makes us more frustrated. We can come in here, say it, and (theoretically) not be hounded for saying "I'm frustrated. I need a break from that nonsense."

By coming in and disrupting this flow, by taking away a chance to vent, the frustration only mounts and spills over.

If you don't want to see complaints about Mara, then 1) Don't come into a clearly anti-Mara thread, and 2) Allow us to go about our business in here, so it won't spill over into other threads.

Trust me, things only get to the "Kill Mara!" point when someone hasn't been allowed to say "You know, she kind of annoys me."

Sreya

10. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I've posted here once before, not sure if any of you remember, but I am a Mara Jade fan. No, I'm not going to profess my love for her and start gushing like a broken water pipe, but I actually enjoy reading these posts. Not from the fans defending Mara, but for the fans who hate her. I mean, come on! Let them have their opinion and stop coming in here to harass them for having an opinion. Go and harass the thousands of other hater threads out there and leave them alone. They have a right to do this. Let the moderators decide what's going too far or not and go back to the Mara lovers thread.

Honestly, the name of this thread should be enough for delicate fans to stay away! Don't come in to read posts that you know are more than likely going to offend some Mara fans. And if you start saying that these people have "issues" for getting worked up over a fictional character, then the same goes for those who have an undescribable love for her. Let them have their thread and go back to yours!

And please, if anyone by any means feels that I shouldn't have said this, let it be known and I'll stay back.

11. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    Thank you, Elori. You're perfectly welcome to say such. :)

Sreya

12. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    I used to like Mara Jade a lot, especially in Zahn's original trilogy. But then along comes the Hand of Thrawn duology, and she begins to irritate the crap out of me, especially with the way she treated her future husband. Who does she think she is, throwing up all the mistakes Luke ever made throughout the EU in his face? She has no moral high ground to stand on AT ALL! Luke isn't perfect, that's true, but neither is Mara. She screwed up just as many times as Luke, if not more so. What about all the atrocities she committed while serving Palpatine? What about all the people she murdered?

And don't get me started on that crap about her being brainwashed by the Emperor or whatever; her comment about never truly falling to the dark side (while at the same time bitching at Luke for serving the cloned Emperor) pissed me off. It's a pathetic attempt to absolve herself from any blame: "Oh, poor me. The Emperor made me do it. I'm blameless." I don't care if she was brainwashed or not, she's not a zombie or a robot. She had a choice; she could've renounced the Emperor, like Vader did in the end. But she didn't; she chose evil.

I felt no sympathy for her in the slighest when she had that asinine whatever-it-was disease. Just a plot device to make everyone feel sorry for her (too bad she didn't die).

So, to sum it all up, Mara used to be one of my favorite characters. Now, though, she and Corran Horn are both tied for worst SW characters EVER created. Worse than Akanah, worse than Waru, worse than Jar Jar, worse than even the stupid Vong. She's one of the biggest reasons why I eventually stopped reading the EU.

And here ends my rant.

13. Nephrite

Nephrite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    Eric Cartman: "I really hate you Mara. I really really do."

14. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Bravo, Elori!

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Jedi15! You summed up very eloquently why I detest Mara--and what is wrong with the EU in general. Mara is a pet EU character--one EU author actually said that they didn't dare harm a hair on her head, lest they brook the wrath of her fans--and as such, she is untouchable, has her wrongs instantly forgiven, and is free to act all high and mighty toward everybody. She never, ever paid for her wrongs; we're just supposed to think she was "brainwashed" and didn't know what she was doing.

Bah.

She had a choice. She chose evil, because it got her power and prestige. And then she bawls Luke out for his mistakes? Beg pardon? Who's she to get so holy?

16. Jedi15

Nov 7, 1999
    Thanks, Shelley! :D Man, and for a while, I thought I was the only one who had these not-so-pleasant feelings for The Red-Haired Goddess.

And you're right when you said that Mara hasn't paid for her past crimes AT ALL in the history of the EU series. Vader sacrificed himself to destroy the Emperor; he paid with his life for all the evil he did.

Heck, even Kyp paid a price! He lost his own brother due to the mistakes he made, and in the end, he destroys both the Sun Crusher AND the Death Star prototype, saving untold billions. And he nearly DIED in the process. He had to suffer a lot in order to redeem himself.

And as for Mara...she lost a ship. So what? THAT'S the price she has to pay for her atrocities, losing a freakin' SHIP? What a comfort to her victims, I'll bet!

As a sidenote: I know a lot of people hate Kyp here, but IMHO, he's one of the better characters in the EU. At least KJA had the guts to make his journey to redemption somewhat difficult and pricey...which is more than I can say for Zahn and his Frankenstein abomination otherwise known as Mara Jade.

17. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Nope, Jedi15, you'd be surprised at how many people detest The Holy Red-Gold One. I think her popularity has gone down a bit since the NJO--especially "Star by Star." She showed what an insensitive, self-centered shrew she was when Anakin died.

Plus many people just got sick of her... as one Mara-hater put it, she'd muscled her way into every aspect of the EU, from the Jedi to the Solo clan and so on and so forth. She was fawned over constantly, she got all high and mighty and preachy toward everyone despite her own checkered (to say the least) past. Plus she could do everything and every other character deferred to her because they were such dopey incompetents compared to the Holy Red Gold One.

Other characters regretted their poor decisions and/or were made to pay for them--Leia endured almost endless heartache for much of the NJO for neglecting her family while she focused on politics. So where's Mara's regret and penance for serving the evil Emperor?

18. Jedi15

Nov 7, 1999
    I think her popularity has gone down a bit since the NJO

That's VERY comforting to know. There might be some hope after all.

especially "Star by Star." She showed what an insensitive, self-centered shrew she was when Anakin died.

I stopped reading the EU after Vector Prime. What exactly did Mara say/do in Star by Star (I'm dreading the answer; I wouldn't put ANYTHING past her)?

It's a shame. She had a lot of potential. :(

19. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    When Anakin died, she told Luke to stop grieving because it might upset Ben, the brat she crapped out some time in "Rebirth."

Then it was, "Oh no, Leia is taking care of Ben, and she's grieving! We've got to get him away from her, lest her grief upset him!"

She offered absolutely no consolation to Leia or Han. Then Threepio misplaced Mara's brat and Mara acted all high and mighty toward Leia, even though it wasn't her fault Mara's stupid brat was lost.

I hope Mara's brat dies in a future book and everyone treats her as insensitively as she treated Anakin's family.

20. IValinHornI

IValinHornI Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2002
    If you people were real Star Wars fans, then you wouldn't be complaining.. TAKING UP SPACE whining about a few bad characters, I mean come on. And what did Mara do so bad anyway? I don't know, but whatever it is it surely got you two people into an asylum. I'm going to respect almost all of the Star Wars characters, except maybe Jar Jar, because not EVERYTHING is perfect. What did you expect that you would like the personalities and the way EVERY character acted?

The fact of the matter is, if you really liked Star Wars you wouldn't be complaining, you would be what I am doing right now, and that is defending and accepting it for everything its worth. Now I must admit there were some bad Novels( Such as Black Fleet Crisis) and there are some bad characters, but the rest of the story and the characters make up for it.

21. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    *ignoring IValinHornI*

Welcome to the gang, Jedi15! I think you'll find you're not as alone as you think. It's just rare that we're allowed to express our opinions in peace.

Oh, how I wish Luke's clone had done away with Mara....... wouldn't that be a sight to relish now?

Sreya

22. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, Sreya, that would've been a lovely end to "The Last Command."

Although at the time I read it, I didn't hate Mara; in fact, I rather liked her. I didn't foresee how annoying and loathsome she would become.

23. Jedi15

Nov 7, 1999
    When Anakin died, she told Luke to stop grieving because it might upset Ben, the brat she crapped out some time in "Rebirth."

You've got to be kidding me! Now Luke can't even be allowed to grieve for his own dead nephew in the presence of the Holy Goddess of Reddish-Gold Hair? I never liked Anakin Solo; I always thought he was an annoying, know-it-all brat. But even he deserves better than THAT.

Then it was, "Oh no, Leia is taking care of Ben, and she's grieving! We've got to get him away from her, lest her grief upset him!"

Well, it's nice to know that Little Miss "Everything's All About ME! ME! ME!...And My Baby, And Nobody Else Matters" has got her priorities straight.

She offered absolutely no consolation to Leia or Han. Then Threepio misplaced Mara's brat and Mara acted all high and mighty toward Leia, even though it wasn't her fault Mara's stupid brat was lost.

Not even a lousy "I'm sorry your son died"? That figures. The Goddess of Everlasting Red Hair has now sunk to an all-new low. I always knew she was selfish, self-centered, insensitive, and cold-hearted...but I didn't think she'd ever stoop THAT low.

I hope Mara's brat dies in a future book and everyone treats her as insensitively as she treated Anakin's family.

Or better yet, he dies, and Mara is so overcome with misery that she kills herself, and everyone else lives happily ever after!

Thanks, Sreya, for the welcome! :) And yes, in hindsight, it's too bad the Luuke clone didn't eviscerate Miss Perfect in TLC. Although I DID like that book a lot...and Mara as well. Too bad VOTF came along...

24. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah, I didn't like Anakin Solo either, but still...considering that he was one of Mara's most ardent admirers (you're lucky you missed the scene in "Balance Point" where Anakin stood awestruck by his aunt's beautiful red-gold hair and stunning figure; Mara then said, "Don't drool on the carpet"), you'd think she'd feel a little sorrow over his loss. Someone as self-centered as she is would no doubt miss having yet another person gape and gawp at her beauty.

What was even more disgusting than Mara's behavior in SbS was her fans' excuses for it: "No, she was just being a good mother! Luke's grief could've created a Force-storm and driven Ben insane!"

Say wha-?

25. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I too have a dislike for Mara and what she's become. I sort of liked her back in TTT, like Shelley, but it would be been great if she was just left there.

I have other characters who I would have loved had they only been in one or two books. Corran "Uberman" Horn is a great example of this. I actually liked "I,Jedi" but I dislike him in the NJO just like I dislike Mara.

And I think you guys should be allowed to vent about who you don't like without people coming in here and criticizing you about it. As long as things don't get out of hand then there's no problem with not liking a fictional character.

As for Kyp, he's one of my favorite characters. Unlike Mara "Mary Sue" Jade and Corran "Stackpole" Horn, he doesn't really fit the Gary Stu role too well. I love him for it. I love characters that aren't perfect in every way. I dislike it when authors try and force me to like certain characters and dislike other ones. I have a mind, I can think for myself, thank you! :)

Jae Angel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.