main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mara Jade in Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HighWiredSith, Apr 23, 2018.

1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Dunno but we don’t know when Ben went to Luke or even when he turned. As of Bloodline, Leia knows very little re what’s been going on with Luke and Ben.

2. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I know that LFL is not depicting they guy who’s the hero of a movie coming out in 3 days as an abusive or neglectful father. Sorry.

3. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Thats in Bloodline, Ben would already be an adult and off with his Uncle. So I dont see what that has to do with been feeling neglected. Canon from what little we have of child age Ben is that Han was a very attentive father and family man who was basically a stay at home Dad and when he was away holo chatted with Ben and Leia every day and would be eager to get home to themm and Ben spent enough time around Lando to call him "Uncle". They are far from portraying Han as never being there.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    JoJoPenelli likes this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah Bloodline was only 6 years pre-TFA, so Kylo would have already been in his mid-20's by that point. And every other piece of information that we've gotten points to Han and Leia being very attentive/loving parents. Also it doesn't explain the "weak and foolish" comment about Han either.

Basically the canon doesn't line up very well right now. And with what kind of character they seem to want Kylo to be, and the story that they're telling, we DO need more context. The whole "well they don't need to go into more detail" doesn't work here for me, not if I'm mean to find him even remotely sympathetic or buy a potential redemption. I need more context for what led up to this in the first place. It was fine for a villain like Sheev because he was just evil, so his backstory didn't matter. But Kylo clearly isn't meant to "just be evil."

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    godisawesome likes this.
  5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    This would've been so easy to do in TLJ. Instead of having Luke talk about Kylo's growing darkness when younger...show it. Do a flash back montage where we see Kylo growing more and more frustrated with a chaotic galaxy and his Uncles unwillingness to use force to make it safe for all people. Make it clear Kylo choose to become the devil to enforce peace and order....but now he's been consumed by it....and won't leave the path he's on because it'd mean admitting he's wrong.

godisawesome and bluealien1 like this.
  6. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I used to think that might be what’s going on with Kylo but after TLJ I don’t.

And I think they didn’t show it because, well, Mystery that they’re saving for 9.

I believe that the choices RJ made in TLJ regardinb what to show us and what not to show us are significant.

7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Honestly, I don't believe it's that well thought out. RJ did what he felt he needed to do for his movie...and left a mess (his words) for the next director to solve...which he thought was going to be Colin. Even a recent interview with John Boyega implies this:

You'd think they'd give the actors SOME idea of what the future holds...but until recently John didn't even know he and Daisy would be back together again in the final film of the trilogy.

8. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    But what’s needed for part 2 of a 3-part story necessarily requires consideration of what’s coming down the pike.

I saw quite a bit of set-up in TLJ. I also very strongly suspect that elements of TLJ tied directly into the extra scenes CT wanted filmed - scenes that have nothing to do with Leia and thus imo are quite likely to remain a part of 9.

Oh dear no. RJ seems to have told the cast very very little, with the possible exception of Adam. I’m not surprised RJ told Mark nothing - their faith in his ability to not leak spoilers has greatly diminished, it seems. (I do believe JJ told him a few things, though.)

9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I think JJ took some pity on Mark. He was feeling a little down, so I suspect that he told him a broad outline to help clear his head and get his creative juices flowing. I hope we're not reading too much into it, but Mark seems to have some out of his funk, so I suspect at least a little something is coming down for him.

bluealien1 likes this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I think JJ reaffirmed to Mark that what (I firmly believe) he had told him during TFA production was still the case.

11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    And that is?

12. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    A general idea of Luke’s past and his connection to Rey.

Mark said that to get into character for TLJ he had to make up a “headcanon” re what had happened to him that he felt would have reduced Luke to a broken state. As he noted in that interview, none of the events in said headcanon were actually canon.

But the overall concept was as I had spec’d. Made me pretty gleeful, actually.

13. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Hmmm... not sure where you get a connection to Rey out of that. I think JJ told Mark that Luke is in IX, at least a bit, and that it's the "got his **** together" version of Luke. I think Mark was pretty happy with Crait Luke. I think he just wanted more of it.

14. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Oops, double post

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It was essentially my Reysky background spec. It was like he took it and just flipped each detail without changing the overall idea.

Essentially, my belief is that Mark agrees that broken!Luke can be explained by Luke’s actual backstory. But the backstory was obfuscated or left out of TLJ and Mark was no longer sure if it was still true.

Apparently, Mark asked RJ what his backstory was and RJ said he could make up whatever. Except that Luke does indeed have canon backstory - pretty significant, sounds like. So he was definitely kept in the dark during TLJ production.

I agree with Mark likely being A-OK with Crait Luke. That depiction lined up perfectly with what I had gleaned from LoLS (and tbh how I have always imagined the character).

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I have no Problem with 'Crait Luke' and would enjoy seeing more, could even live with it if Luke comes back into the corporeal realm....like Gandalf in LOTR.

Rey: "I thought you died!"

Luke: "No, just went to the other side to bring back the knowledge this galaxy really needs. Now you guys deal with the first Order, I'll handle bringing about a new understanding of the force for all people."

Rey, Finn, & Poe: "Yes, Uncle Luke!"

Okay that last part may have been an indulgence.

BalanceOfTheForce and bluealien1 like this.
  17. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    After seeing Lucasfilm bring that character back in Solo it kind of raises my hopes up for Mara.

18. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    What funk are you talking about? Either way, I hope JJ can come up with something clever for MH in Ep. 9.

19. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    He seemed to be expressing some ambivalence about his potential role in IX. He isn't anymore. And lots of tweets lately poking fun at the notion he hates Rian Johnson.

20. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    OH, okay. Haven't really been following lately.. keeping my expectations low in terms of what kind of role he'll take on.

21. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Did anyone noted how latest reports are that Keri Russell filming for ep IX will take for months?

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...-with-jj-abrams-for-star-wars-episode-ix.html

Her role has been shrouded in mystery, and she was almost not announced in First casting call, and now she films for months?
    This implies her role is much bigger than expected.

There are unconfirmed rumors she is filming intensive scene in a setting of First Order battleship, and there is again rumor she indeed is the character that was casted under codeneme Mara.
    The new art concept depicts "Mara " with long black hair ,with ponytail.

"Mara" could really stir the pot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    KSennia likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Where are these rumors coming from that she is filming on a First Order battleship? Also where is that concept art from?

23. FN1971

Jun 13, 2018
    I collected this on few sources, here is example:
    https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2018/08/16/star-wars-episode-ix-leak-reys-mother/

The concept picture originates from this place:
    https://www.pinterest.com/tobeywilson1/

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I do think Russell's character will be based on Mara in some capacity. Obviously female and a skilled combatant, but something else from the old EU will inform her character or else why call her "MARA" in pre-production? There's no other plausible reason to do that.

Russell will be a "remix" of the Mara concept IMHO, just like Ben Solo/Kylo Ren was a remix of Jacen Solo.

I don't think she will be Luke's wife, but she could be a Force user with a dark past or maybe a former student of Luke's who was taken by Kylo and Snoke after the temple raid... perhaps she's someone who worked for Snoke just like Mara worked for Palpatine.

25. FN1971

Jun 13, 2018
    This peace of information also,somehow circles arround on few places, judge by yourself:

After Snoke's death, Kylo learns there was secret prison, a Force sensitive prisoners in the Unknown Regions.
    Kylo has learned the truth and seeks out Rey’s mother there. He finds her; she escapes him, and then seeks out Rey.

Rodie likes this.