main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mara Jade is 48?!?!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BYC, Aug 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYC

BYC Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2001
    I was checking out the Timetales part of the site for details concerning ages of the major characters.

Accord the Timetales, Mara Jade is born 22 years before A New Hope. Vector Prime takes place 25 years after A New Hope. Rebirth takes place 26 years after A New Hope.

Mara Jade is 48 when she has their child?!?! Wow, that's...old.

According to the latest Star Wars RPG sourcebook (the one by WotC), Mara is 45 around Vector Prime.

Luke should be 46 now. Born 20 years before A New Hope, and then add 26 years between A New Hope and Rebirth. Leia would be the same.

I'm mainly wondering how accurate Timetales is. Also, what's the cut off age for having children in real life? I remember reading about a grandma having a kid about 1-3 year ago, and she was in her 60's, I think.

Bruce

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Scotty had a kid at 79, but the wife was younger :)

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Mara's age has been dynamic to say the least. It depends on when you take your "snapshot." You can't do a direct comparison from a single point to another point.

A possible reason her age is dynamic is because her biology is a clone biology subject to odd aging spikes. :D

4. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    It doesnt matter...

As it has already been pointed out, humans have a longer life span in star wars. As high as 200 years plus in some cases. When asked about aging, LFL has stated that humans age differently. Case and point is Anakins aging between TPM and AotC versus anyone else in the movie.

40? who cares... if she was 100 or any other character, its sci fi and doesnt matter.

5. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    She's about the same age of Luke +/- a couple of years. Since her exact birthdate or any of that stuff isn't known...

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Mara is actually born 20 BBY because she is 2 years older than Luke.

7. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Lancejade's right. They have longer lifespans, but time may pass much, much quicker in the GFFA than it does here.

8. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Wow... One hour in the GFFA...

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    ...equals 60 seconds. :eek:

10. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
  11. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
  12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
  13. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Again, the reference point all determines when you believe Luke and Leia were born, whether it was -20 BSW4, or -18 BSW4. I have always leant towards -20 BSW4, that is probably most likely how we worked out Mara's age.

14. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Nearing 685 pages, Timetales is bound to have the odd mistake, that why Chris and I appreciate advice from fans like yourself - see this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1960639&replies=667

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The general concensus among Star Wars fans is that Luke and Leia are 18 during ANH.

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    How can you say that? How do you know what the general consensus is?

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Because that's what most of the EU books say, as well as most timelines.

18. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Mara is 46 and Luke is 44 in rebirth, they dont have longer lifespans, and time doesnt pass quicker.

19. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    She's pretty hot for being 48.

20. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Actually, according to one of the recent SW magazines (published within the last few years...insider of Galaxy Collector), Mara's two years YOUNGER than Luke.

21. JadenSkywalker

JadenSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Well, in one of Kathy Tyers posts in her thread 'Discuss BP with Kathy-- Spoilers Welcome' on pg 17, she says that the official word from Skywalker Ranch is that Luke is 44 in BP. Mara is two years older than him, so that makes her 46 in Balance Point and around 47 in SbS.

22. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Like I say in the Luke and Leia thread...

She could be all of the official printed ages, if one takes into account different planet's rotations and how they measure time. Yes, most galactic citizens use Coruscant Standard time, but there could be other occasions when it's not used.

23. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    All my Grandparents were in their late 60's when I was born and I was the one of the oldest.

24. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Oh Yeah as far as I know Mara is 42 when ben is born, Luke being 18 at ANH->44 when Ben is born and mara's two years younger than him.

25. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I haven't seen anything in the EU novels to suggest Luke was 18 in ANH. In the second edition Guide to the Star Wars Universe, I did. However, the novelization to ANH clearly gives Luke's age at twnety as it says he's twice the age of a ten year old vaporator. And the novelization to ESB comes right out and says he's twenty-three at the start of the novel.

In the EU novels, it seems that Luke's age is never given. It only seems to be resource books that give his age as 18. Even the movies didn't give Luke's age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.