main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mara Jade v. Mara Sky Walker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DEWORE-DEWKNOT, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Who do you like better ? For my money it is Mara Jade

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    There's no liking one better than the other. Neither are likeable characters - both equally horrible.

3. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    LOL Gengis I agree.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Absolutely agree! Luke couldn't done worse if he had married a selfish, insufferable, selfrighteous bi...oh, right.

5. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Taking the topic seriously for a moment...

Mara Jade definitely... pre-marriage, she's a tough, fit chick...

post-marriage, she's an old, softy mother...
    :p

well, not that seriously...

6. Rysil

Rysil Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2002
    This is really a pointless argument. They are the same person. She has a baby to take care of. Do you really think that the Star Wars universe would have the last Skywalker being Luke? You knew at some point he had to have a kid. And having a kid really has an effect on you. Don't worry, Mara will eventually go back to kicking butt. It just takes time.

7. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    Both. I personally would like to see TFN's casting call pick, Dina Meyer, and Shannon Baksa engage in a one-on-one, no holds barred, steel cage, lime green jello wrestling match. *drools* ;) [face_devil]

8. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
  9. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Well I like Mara regardless her name. But speaking of names there's one thing I've never really understood: Why in SW every woman who get's married gets a double name, like Leia Organa Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker... I think most women take just their husbands name when they get married. I would like more if there were just Leia Solo and Mara Skywalker.

10. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    mara jade but she will be back to old self, for their sence of self its rather symbolic and for profesion needs so people still recognize the name and do not have to explaine to everyone about the name change.

11. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I just dont get it!!!Whos Mara Jade Sky Walker?

12. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    they are the same person... and they both rock!!!

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

13. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    It is a bit long-winded.
    (But I think Padme Naberrie Skywalker is going to be cool, so I don't mind.)

Mara Jade is who I like better. The 'attractive' (not the goddess who never gets a wrinkle), smart, not too force-sensitive, vulnerable-yet-tough, independent, blaster-wielding (no lightsaber) Mara Jade.

M.J. Skywalker: Her character in SBS was ghastly. A woman that cries over a ship, but not her nephew's death is pathetic. I wish these authors would write her the way she was. In VotF, she grew up. In NJO, she grew psychotic.

14. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    tell han to sacrifice the Falcon, and everybody reaction to anakins death was bad in SBS so stop chiming about maras.

15. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

and everybody reaction to anakins death was bad in SBS

What were you expecting?

16. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    something other than what happened, leia's the only one who had a decent reaction.

17. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Yeah... that was the first time I saw Leia really crack up in the EU. And I'd rather not have Mara go back to her butt kicking ways, a character evolves, and though I hate how she's written in the NJO, I suppose I have to live with it, just as I have to live with reading about the Solo kids.

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    MJ: Her character is ghastly. A woman that cries over a ship and thinks it washes away all the bad things she's ever done is pathetic. It's unfortunate that these authors have had to write her exactly the way she is. In VotF, she was weak, immature and bitchy.

It's not the authors fault, though. They have to work within the confines of the weak, horrible character that they're given. They've all nailed her character pretty much right on target.

19. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

something other than what happened, leia's the only one who had a decent reaction.

I disagree. Luke went into convulsions and shock...that is until Mara squashed it. I agree she wanted to protect Ben, but Luke needed to grieve. However, I can pass that off as Luke having rock solid control over his emotions.

Han got mad, which is a bonefied Han Solo reaction to most things.

Jaina was eaten whole by the Dark Side because of her little brother's death. I was convinced.

20. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    In the original draft for ROTJ, Han lost the Falcon to Lando. He didn't sob profusely over it. It just said he felt a sudden grief and regret over never seeing Lando and the Falcon again. And if he *had* sacrificed the Falcon to bring down the Death Star, I wouldn't say that automatically erases every bad thing he'd done in his past. I'm sorry, I just don't see how losing a ship/home is that big a deal. I've heard the whole "it's a symbol of her freedom, etc." but the bottom line is, it's still a ship - an inanimate object. It's not like Leia, who lost an entire planet with billions of people, including her foster father, on it.

I think Mara's being written even worse in the NJO. She seems like a victim of her own popularity. She's written as being so incredibly perfect at everything, no one can relate to her any more and that's what you need - characters you can relate to. I also find her extremely selfish and self-centred. Eg. In SBS, when all the young Jedi, including her two nephews and niece, were out on that dangerous mission and being brutally tortured and killed, she wasn't worried about them at all and could only think about have sex with her husband. I find it hard to believe she wouldn't feel the young Jedi dying through the Force when all the kids could feel her labour pains in Rebirth. I guess she had "other" things on her mind.

21. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Genghis12
    MJ: Her character is ghastly. A woman that cries over a ship and thinks it washes away all the bad things she's ever done is pathetic. It's unfortunate that these authors have had to write her exactly the way she is. In VotF, she was weak, immature and bitchy.

lol, one of the few times we'll agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.