main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Mara Jade, what did she look like in people's minds ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The point being that Mara was never just an assassin.

And while Zahn has said that in his headcanon she's the only Hand - the rest of the EU completely ignores this between Zahn books - so, taking the EU as a whole, she's never really the only Hand.
    According to the recent Imperial Handbook - some Hands get promoted to that rank from the ranks of the Inquisitorius.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Didn't Zahn himself establish that Mara was only one of many agents? In Dark Force Rising (either the character's first or sophomore appearance, depending if you count the trilogy as a single unit or not) we get this scene between Mara and Thrawn:

Now, Thrawn never proves his claim and Children of the Jedi provides an alternate version of Mara learning about the other Hands for the first time, but the idea that Mara was not the only Hand was hardwired into her very first story.

I've skimmed bits of the Imperial Handbook and never saw the parts about the Hands and Inquisitors. Cool. Since the Handbook was a Legends source that mixed little bits of canon into it, did they offer any clues if the author was using the Legends or Rebels version of the Inquisitorius?

Either way, I'm not sure that making an Inquisitor version of Mara works, given that even at her worst, Mara was never as evil as the Inquisitors were presented (in fact, the Vision of the Future novel concluded that, while not having a spotless background, she narrowly missed falling to the dark side). It doesn't seem to really match the spirit of the original character.

3. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I've loved this portrayal of her since it was done:
    [​IMG]

TheRedBlade and Kylun like this.
  4. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah, that's one of the better covers.

5. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Jedi Master

Dec 31, 2013
    If they were to bring her into the current movies and have her be close to Luke's age, I think Brooke Shields would be an interesting, if very unlikely, choice.

6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    A sexy red-head

7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Middle-Earth called. They want the dress back.

How I picture Mara? Basically Irish but not as pale. 2 inches shorter than Luke. The equivalent of a C-cup and firm fit body. Finally a face as good as Portman.

8. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Castable for Star Wars EP 7?
    Julianne Moore.

Acting chops and comedic ability to pull off the deadpan.

(She'd make a dandy Isard if she kept the below hair color.)
    [​IMG]

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Eeek.

[​IMG]

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I picture Mara with natural red hair not blindingly -- LOL but a rich tone with golden highlights, eyes of a vibrant green and a figure that is at once athletic and agile as a dancer, with curves and moves to entice sweet Luke. [face_love] [face_dancing] :) [face_sigh]

John Pannozzi likes this.
  12. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Why is no one suggesting a over the hill, overweight and out of shaped woman only a hut could love :) guys have to make everything 'mega hot' lol :)

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    At this point, I feel like Iron Man 2/Avengers Black Widow by Scarlett Jo is about the closest in appearance, actions, and attitude to Mara. Imagining Luke as Captain America makes a lot of the interactions in Winter Soldier fun as well.

14. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Wasn't she constantly described as having a "dancer's body" or something like that?

I guess it depends on what kind of dancer...all manner can lead to "athletic" physiques but you could have anything from a lithe ballet dancer to a voluptuous belly dancer in that spectrum.

15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes I recall the "dancer's body" description. Doesn't leave much 2 the imagination of her chest. Some dancer go from A cups, sum up to DVD.

16. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    To me a ''dancer's body'' suggests she's physically fit and probably fairly strong. Certainly not some wasp-waisted supermodel type. And in any case, there's more to being attractive than simply physique. Her hair and her eyes seem to be the most striking/distinguishing feature when Zahn was describing her but 'striking' is not necessarily the same as 'beautiful.'

Danifae and John Pannozzi like this.
  17. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I'd like to see her at her original age (i.e. about the same age as Ezra/Leia/Luke), as an Inquisitor-in-training. They could use her as a parallel to Ezra's journey... perhaps as Ezra is drawn to darkness thanks to Maul's influence, Mara could feel the pull of the light akin to Kylo Ren--mix that with a little Ciena Ree, thinking the Empire is a good thing and there must be a noble purpose behind even the dark stuff the Inquisitors seem to be doing, maybe it could be a good blend. And since it's unlikely Mara will ever be used as a love interest for Luke, they could work that in for Ezra perhaps.

Her disillusionment with the Empire over the course of the rest of the series could then lead to more of her EU post-ROTJ personality, too, and maybe she could still be around living as a smuggler by then--tho we might not see it or learn much about how she got there until Rebels ends and we know the fates of the Spectres. It's one way to go, anyway.

John Pannozzi and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Honestly, this would be a good start for putting her in Rebels (make the outfit green please)... the shoulder pauldron and all that just fit the Rebels design aesthetics. Take that outfit, make the girl smaller than Ezra (~2 years younger then Luke in the EU), red hair, green eyes, and maybe even freckles. In essence, make her a cute kid... Those of us familiar with the EU will get who she is, but NEU viewers will be in for a shock as it's revealed who and what she is.

None of the Rebels have a clue just how much trouble they were in if they picked her up (maybe have her held 'prisoner' by some moff and the group rescues her, without realizing the whole thing is a setup). Give her the mission to steal the sith holocron Ezra has, and press go.

As for Mara by TTT, I have to agree with those that have said she'd have natural red hair with blonde highlights. As for her eyes, I think they have to be a very vivid and striking green. The dancer's figure always meant to me that she was relatively thin and lightly built, but very athletic and muscled for her frame or at least very toned. I go back and forth on whether she's freckled and pale like most redheaded people on Earth. I tend to imagine her being fairly flat chested (a large bust can be a hindrance in combat). I don't think she'd wear makeup or much in the way of any embellishment. I'd think she'd dress a lot like a smuggler, when she was wearing something beside the infamous green jumpsuit or stupid catsuit. In fact, I really like the way Mysteries of the Sith handled that.

I despise the cat-suit they've stuck her in... especially since she constantly being described as wearing a green jumpsuit in TTT.

19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

So she's a B cup 2 u? In most official art she's a C. Most fans naturally bring her up 2 D in fan art. Keep in mind there's a few fit/athletic women with natural D's.

John Pannozzi likes this.
  20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    That's another good way to go in Rebels, as someone meant to infiltrate the Spectres or something. Maybe her seeing how they're a family and realizing she never really had one could weigh on her (they're kinda doing that with Kallus, but I think the other aspects of her character & the plot would make it different enough).

I also despise the cat-suit. Until she got the Skywalker saber at the end of the trilogy, her go-to 'thing' was the blaster up the sleeve. I don't recall her jumpsuit being described as green (except maybe in The Last Command; I never liked the cover art depiction of her for that book), but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't recall Zahn dwelling on physical descriptions, particularly clothes, too often, but Mara always struck me as more of a practical, simple dresser...so then when she'd wear something fancy (like her formal wear in Survivor's Quest, if memory serves) it'd really pop more than it would against a sleeveless skin-tight leather suit as her standard getup.

For that matter, I never liked the comic depiction of Karrde, either, and how that mostly stuck. I always imagined him as sorta Lando-esque, sophisticated yet not really ostentatious, but I'd really need to read the trilogy again to refresh my memory on that. WEG & some other interpretations of him more like a swashbuckler-y elegant pirate-y guy were closer to the mark, I think (and more the direction I leaned in making a Lego minifig of him: Tony Stark head, Superman S-curl hair...I forget offhand how I dressed him, but I think I may've used King Theoden's torso from LOTR, but there are other good options)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Is this line of conversation not seriously creepy to anyone else?

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Agreed. Can we drop this train of thought, please.

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Besides being creepy it's fundamentally flawed too, a cup size is pretty meaningless without the band size, no?

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Hands r used to measure the height of draft horses!

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, that's fantastic.