main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marathon Madness and Scams

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Astrantia, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrantia

Astrantia Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I often lurk. You might of seen my boyfriend floating around, Parm Mann.

Anyway, we tried but failed miserably to get tickets for the marathon. So we've been searching on eBay etc for tickets. Willing to pay up to £350 a pair.

Thing is I'm in talks with this one guy atm and he doesn't have photos, has decent feedback but is no longer a registered user. He wants me to pay via Western Union.

Now this sounds dodgy to me, what do you think?

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
  3. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I got an email the other day from eBay the other day.

DO NOT PAY BY WESTERN UNION!!!

That's coming directly from the people at eBay themselves. Can't really argue with that.

4. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I just realized, I typed "the other day" twice...Damn, I must be stupid! :oops:

5. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I have the option to buy a ticket for £358. Should I buy it, or should i wait, and hope they get cheaper?

6. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    If anything, they'll probably get more expensive as they get rarer and rarer.

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    There's a few auctions I'm keeping an eye on but since they all seem to finish upwards of £200 I don't think I'll be able to afford any of the galactic passports. I guess there'll be another star wars marathon one day. Right . . ? :(

8. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    i believe the IMAX one is stll on the cards for july

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't get all this. Why not wait 3 days and see the film for a fiver?

10. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I agree Halibut. I tried to get tickets to the marathon day, but as soon as I found out they were sold out, I decided to forget it. £300 for a ticket to see a film that I can see less than a week later, just isn't good money, especially having just paid for a trip to the US.

11. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    will having Lucas and co. come over and introduce the film not be worth it?

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The last I heard it still wasn't known whether Lucas would be there in person.

But still, it's not worth £300 just to see him say a few words. I'd pay £300 to have dinner with him though!

13. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    I guess that is a good point. For me, the main-selling point of the marathon, was to have Lucas and Co. come in, but that is a totally unknown quantity really. The press releases have been very vague, so it may even amount to nothing.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The press releases said that Lucas would "introduce" the film(s) - not that he'd be there.

I spent £80 to see the royal premiere of Star Trek: First Contact, and that was money VERY well spent. But that premiere was 3 weeks before the national release. I wouldn't spend over £100 to see a film which is released just a few days later

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Doesn't the money from the royal premieres go to charity ? If so then spending £80 to see a movie weeks early is a good idea on many levels.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes it did. It went to the Prince's Trust :)

17. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd be much happier giving money to charity and attending a premiere - but I wouldn't be happy paying some chav 6 times the face value for a public showing.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Exactly. This sort of thing will happen as long as there's a market for it - which unfortunately there clearly is.

19. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    i know i'm saying this from the comfortable position of having tickets, but if i didn't get them from the UCI i would have just accepted my fate, booked a showing of ESB and gone and watched the orchestra and all the stars arriving. it's not worth being ripped off for when you can see all 5 elsewhere in the square and then 3 days later see ROTS any time you want

Lucas introducing it is a bit of a wildcard though

20. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I agree, paying over £300 to see something that is coming out a mere 3 days later wouldn't warrant the price of the ticket. I'm going down for the marathon simply because it's the perfect opurtunity to see the entire saga in one go -- playing from front to back. To me, it's reliving a piece of history, and making history at the same time. In the circle of fans, to say that you were one of the first people in the world to see the saga as it will ultimatley be seen is a great draw card.

George Lucas, whether him attending or not, admittedly did tip the balance in my favour. Putting it simply, as a man who is at the lower end of the food chain in terms of work and money, and I have had many problems in the last couple of years, to actually see the man who has given me so many years of fun and hope would be worth the sacrifice. This, for me is a once-in-a-lifetime-oppurtunity, and it will certainly almost never come again.

If he doesn't come in to say hello, I'll be disappointed, sure. We all would. But I'm still willing to go down to enjoy in the spirit of things, and revel in something that will take me back to my childhood. The pressures of adult life, just for only one day seeming a million miles away.

Thankfully, I'll only be paying face value - but you have to admit, to pay £50 for six films - including the one that is set to be the most grand of them all, and you'll be one of the first to see it, does seem like a bargain to me.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    You're spot on. It IS a bargain. They should have charged £100 with £50 going to charity

22. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    They definitely should have charged more for the tickets. That would have put off some of the people buying the passport just to see ROTS 3 days earlier, or to make a profit. Yes, I am still bitter. It's easy to say, you can see all the films later on anytime you want so why worry about missing out on the marathon? But it'll be a once in a lifetime experience. I imagine the atmosphere among the audience will be greater than at any midnight screening.

Also, if they really are going to enforce the rule about having to watch all the films to see ROTS (as today's story on TFN confirms), then why not just say if you don't get to the Empire by the time ANH starts then you lose your ticket? Either way there's gonna be some angry people turned away later on, but at least that way they could resell a few galactic passports to some lucky fans.

23. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Also, they mentioned something about policing the sale of tickets on eBay as well. They recommended that you not buy one, because you are likely to be turned away at the door!!!

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, much as I like the idea of having to watch all the films, that won't help with the eBay situation. People who pay £300-500 for a seat are VERY likely to want to watch all 6 films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.