March 2011 Recommended Reading List

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

star 4
    March 2011 Recommended Reading List

[image=http://www.clarityworks.us/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/iStock_000006892972XSmall.55100410.jpg]

Hello and welcome to the first monthly Recommended Reading List! This is going to be a space where the moderating team can highlight some of our favourite stories. It's a good chance to catch any stories you missed the first time they were posted, re-read old favourites, and discover new and excellent stories.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to share our less stellar moments as writers. Yes, each month we will include an embarrassing story, written by one of us, that perhaps we'd hoped you had all forgotten by now. :p After all, we all begin our writing careers somewhere, and at the end of the day, the most important part is that we had fun on the way. :)

So come, pull up a chair by the fire, and enjoy our favourite stories.

Jedi Trace recommends: A Single Thread by AngelofDarkness

This is an AU story in which Leia and Vader are devoted to each other as father and daughter, yet it follows the events of A New Hope perfectly. Doesn't sound possible, I know, but it works! I blame this story for turning me on to the idea of AU canon compliant fanfic because it shows that there are so many unexplored possibilities and points of view if you just squint a little and read between the lines or, in this case, look behind the scenes.

Commander-DWH recommends: Sithy Sithy Heart by SabyneAmberle

One of the earliest things I read on the boards, back when I was too shy to comment, this wacky bit of fiction still cracks me up. There are many interpretations of what exact sort of torture Darth Malak used to turn Bastila to the Dark Side, but this one is by far the funniest. More than just a song parody, it is a parody of the entire category of torture fics that surround this event, and for that I kind of love it a lot.

mavjade recommends: Bearing the Chosen by RedGold

Bearing the Chosen was the story that really got me involved in fanfic when I first registered, brought me out of my shell and made me want to review a fic. It's a great Luke/Mara story that has romance, angst, comedy, pretty much everything you could want in a good fic. It's a little on the long side but worth every minute of reading! Right from the prologue you always want to know what is going to happen next, lucky for those who will be reading it for the first time you don't have to live through any evil cliffies!

Miana Kenobi recommends: Guide Me Home by Qwi_Xux

Guide Me Home is an amazing Avatar: The Last Airbender story that follows the lives of Lady Ursa and Chief Hakoda during the course of the show and how their paths intertwined. What I love most about it is that it is completely canon-compliant! Full of action, adventure, romance, and snarky humor, it's a fantastic read about second chances, acceptance, and honor.

NYCitygurl recommends: [Avatar: The Last Airbender] The Children of War by MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf has aquired a reputation in NSWFF for his fabulous, intense (and intensely fun) A:TLA stories, and his ne
  2. mrjop2 Jedi Knight

star 4
    It's good to see NSWFF fictions are eligible here as well. Perhaps you should have reserved a space where you can index the stories by month selected, making it easier to find previous months stories of the month.
  3. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

star 4
    Actually, that's a listing I'm planning on adding to future editions. However, as this is the very first one, I have nothing to link. ;)

And yes, we also want to give NSWFF a place to shine. There's some great stuff over there that most of us don't ever make it over to read, so we're happy to give them more exposure. :)

Thanks for the input, and I hope you enjoy the selections as well!
  4. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Great selections--that should keep me busy for awhile. Like the idea of the embarrassing story--very brave to be airing your "dirty laundry" for us! Though I highly doubt it is as bad as you say...
  5. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    This is such a fun idea for a thread! =D= I remember a few of the stories mentioned, and have a few more to discover anew. :D [face_love]

. . . And Trace, I think everyone of us has one of those stories in our arsenal to brag (or shake their heads in shame) over. :p It's a fangirl requirement. [face_laugh] ;)

~MJ @};-
  6. Jade_Pilot Jedi Master

star 5
    And it begins...can't wait to dig in! :D
  7. SithGirl132 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooh, now I have something to do over spring break! Star Wars and Avatar stories. I am now happy.
  8. Hazel Jedi Master

star 4
    I've actually read Bearing the Chosen recently and loved every bit of it. But I read somewhere on the thread that there is a Bonus Scene sent via PM. Does anyone have it and could you send it to me?

I've tried PMing the author but haven't gotten an answer.

I hope it isn't out of line to ask about it here. :)
  9. BottledUpInside Jedi Youngling

star 3
    What a great idea for a thread! Loved the selections and can't wait to see next month's!
  10. Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Great choices! I've got some new reading to do!
  11. Ubersue Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yay! I'm very happy to see this. Glad to see some classic fics getting some love. :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.