Provo March activity- details!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by navaren, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. navaren Jedi Youngling

star 3
    All right, in the interest of getting the details up and totally clear, here's the pertinent information for this month's activity.

Date: March 30, 2002
    Time: 4:00 pm
    Place: The park near the Orem Recreation Center. The Rec Center is located at 580 W. 165 S. in Orem. We can gather in the parking lot and then move over to the park en masse. Following the filming, we can come back to my house and watch Rory's film and the rough cut of the Jedi Olympics.

Jedi Olympics Events:
    Lightsaber limbo
    Lightsaber fencing
    Yoda's foot races
    The Dark Side obstacle course

If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them here!
  2. spoo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The 100 meter levitate?
    Meditation endurance?
    Guess the card?

Alas, I will not be able to attend. I'm seeing a play at 2, and I'm playing a concert at 7. I hate Dr Bacheldor for this!
  3. LaurenFett Jedi Youngling

star 1
    You could have a SW impressions/line memorization contest (whoever can recite the most lines in a random given scene wins...this might work well in teams, too). Just an out-of-the-blue suggestion.

Uhhh...I sure wish I could come, but hopefully we'll have a Jedi Olympics II next year...:)
  4. Marold Jedi Knight

star 6
    I could probably get some medals, that is if I can wrestle them away from some handicapped kids. They have so many, not like they will miss a few. :D
  5. Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm not sure about any other ideas, but I have a lightsaber I think would be perfect for the limbo.
    It is a yellow lightsaber from 1977. It is straight as a stick, not collapsable like the ones these days.
    I plan on coming, with my husband and possibly my nearly-one-year-old son. I could leave him with a babysitter. I haven't decided.
  6. Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Marold, I sense the dark side rising in your blood.

-Ben Sch-
  7. Renegade4E Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Marna- you must begin his training early! You should bring him with you... Heh heh.

I'll be coming with my girlfriend, whom I am educating about Star Wars... I couldn't believe it when she told me that she didn't know much about it.
  8. navaren Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Marna-
    Children are always welcome. I have three children myself, and will be bringing them out if the weather cooperates.
  9. allenj456 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    As a representative of the soon to be Salt Lake Chapter, Id like to ask formal permission to bring down Team Salt Lake for the games. We are few but vicious! :) Do you take up the challenge?
  10. Handyman Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Greetings Everybody,

Don't forget to take lots of photos! :D

Later,
  11. Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah, with regard to photos Handyman, um, the saber-training activity photos from that last meetings don't work for me at Starwarsutah.com

I just noticed this because I thought it'd be fun to put the glow in, anyway, maybe its my computer but if not, if you could maybe look into it. (You are the webmaster right? I believe you said u still would be even having moved)

Ok, that is all.
  12. Handyman Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Greetings Jedi_Cougar,

I temporarily took the photos offline for some editing. I thought it would be down for a few days. Sorry for the delay, I'll get the new photos up ASAP.

Later,
  13. Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I guess I will bring him.

You know, he already is figuring out the lightsabers we have. This could be good for him. :)

Oh! Forgot to ask!

How does one find said meeting place for the activity? I tried to find it, but didn't have much time and failed to find it.

or perhaps I'm just dumb, but I'm from Spanish Fork, grew up in Payson.
  14. Handyman Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Greetings Marna_Veign,

I recommend that you be very careful with your lightsaber at the activity. The 1978 inflatable vinyl, yellow bladed lightsabers from Kenner are worth $70-$90 each in a loose conidition and $120-$150 each if still in the box. :D

This is one of the few Star Wars toys that I never posessed as a kid. :( However, my brothers and I did have a couple of these "Force Beam" knockoffs and we loved them! At the time, we thought they looked cooler than the Kenner sabers because they came in multiple colors instead of just yellow.

Ah, Nostalgia! :cool:

Later,
  15. navaren Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Marna, do you know where Mountain View High School is? If so, you'll find the Orem Rec Center directly behind the Mountain View parking lot. Just take the Orem Center Street exit and head for the mountains until you see the school. It's easy to go from there.
  16. navaren Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Allen-
    Please bring your group down. The more, the merrier!
  17. Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Don't worry, Handyman. Whether or not we use it for the limbo, when not in use, it will be locked in the car. :)
    I'm looking at a map here. Would I get off I-15 at Orem Center street, turn south at the second light, before the school, east at 165S and go until I see it? Does that sound right to anybody?
  18. Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, yes. That sounds about right.

Now, Do we have to bring our own lightsabers? And if so, do they have to be the plastic store bought kind? Just need to know.
  19. navaren Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Please feel free to bring your own blade, but I'm sure there will be plenty around to share if necessary. Plastic would be the best bet particularly for the fencing...less chance of hands getting mashed that way (good grief...I sound like such a mom ;) ).
  20. Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Master

star 4
    K, because I have both a Qui-Gon plastic one, and a metal one with a wooden pole that I built for my fan film.
  21. WhitelightX Jedi Youngling

Wow... and for so long I felt like such a dork... its nice to know there are more of us out there. Hopefully I can show up, but I may be going to a punk concert in SLC that night. Either way, I wish you all luck.

Also, Renegade, I know what you mean. Not that my girlfreind doesnt like the movies, but she does tend to not support the rest of the Star Wars universe. She does overlook the fact that Im such a nerd though, which is nice.
  22. Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Master

star 4
    You mean more of us dorks? ;)
  23. Marold Jedi Knight

star 6
    Well I can't get the medals, the special olympics team I would get them from don't meet again until next month. :(
  24. Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Recently, my ward had our own Olympics. They had a 'torch run (Flashlight with a paper flame taped on it), a cauldron(floor lamp), the Olympic theme durring the awards ceremony. The medals were gold, silver, and bronze wrapped York peppermint patties glued to a patriotic ribbon.

Just an idea from my recent past. Do with it as you want. But, if someone can bring a cd player, I could bring a copy of the olympic theme, if you'd like.
  25. navaren Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The peppermint pattie idea is brilliant. Thank you for the suggestion. If you want to bring your recording, that would be fine. I was considering the end song from Star Wars for our Olympic theme, though... ;)
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.