main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

March Madness 2010 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't know if they switched here... I had it on the station that was showing Butler and Syracuse the whole time :p

2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Not really. Lorenzo Romar has done a brilliant job at Washington. Hardly any history before he got there and 3 sweet 16's, a #1 seed in 2006.

But they are more of a surprise this year than Butler or Xavier.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Meh. In my opinion, you can't be a Cinderella coming out of a big-six conference. Georgia a couple of years back comes as close as you can come.

But, even without history, the funding, facilities, alumni base, etc ... it's just too much of an advantage to truly be a Cinderella, in my opinion.

4. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Looks like the Big East Champs will have to carry on the Big East pride in the tourney. Great 2nd half for WVU. Elite 8 here we come!

The 1st half was atrocious, but the second was awesome. It still hurts to lose Truck, but we look like we'll be alright.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm rooting for Xavier and Cornell for the late games, but I don't feel as confident about these. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Kentucky will win. I just want more upsets. :p

I'd agree with Inty about Cinderellas. Power conference teams can't be Cinderellas...they've gotta be mid majors.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I was so hoping for Washington to keep going.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Rooting big for Xavier, but they are down big early, and look out of their game. Would love to see Cornell win, but that just seems like such an impossible long shot. IF I wanted to root for odds that long, I'd go buy a lottery ticket. :p

I don't think anyone on that side of the bracket beats Kentucky, now that WVU is not at full strength. K-State and Ohio-State, I think, are the only teams left that could beat UK, and I wouldn't bet on either of them doing it.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Washington couldn't be a cinderella even had they won. I'm in agreement there.

9. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't see why not. I didnt't hear a single person even pick Washington to beat Marquette let alone destroy New Mexico. But I guess New Mexico would have been more of a cinderella despite the higher seed?

NC State and Villanova's title runs in the 80's not cinderella runs?

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Xavier is getting a mini-run going on...they're looking better.

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornel up 7-2 on UK early. [face_plain]

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Cinderella? No. Not in my opinion. Great upset stories? Yes. Some of the best. But those teams didn't win against all odds. Big-six conference teams never win against all odds. They have an easier time recruiting. They have more funds. They have better facilities. And on and on and on.

And, yeah, Xavier starting to make a run here. back within four.

R...J ... watching Jordan Crawford for Xavier, and the kid for OU against G'Town in the first round. Here's another for your "what if" thread ... how good could Indiana have been this year?

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    And that's a bad thing? :p It's early, things will probably change soon.

Edit And it has. Kentucky up by 4.

14. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Cornell's style could end of frustrating Kentucky, but they may have made the miastake of doing to well to early and waking Kentucky up.

Also I saw a West Virginia fan pump their fist to a Kentucky basket. What? Shouldn't all WVU fans be for Cornell right now?

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    looks like UK is starting to take control. Not unexpected. 12-3 run to retake the lead.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    How many lane violations have been called in this tourney? Seems like at least one a game.

Anyway, Xavier's tied up with K-State with about a minute left.

Edit - make that up by one at half.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow. Xavier comes all the way back and actually takes a lead into the half. Simply amazing.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Kentucky in control at the half :( Not unexpected, though.

Come on, Cornell and Xavier!

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Kentucky up big at half...the Wildcats look really good right now. I think that Cornell has met their match.

20. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004

Don't tell me, a Kentucky and Duke fan?

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    X coming out a little slow and sloppy for the second half. They don't want to dig another hole here.

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Cornell can't handle the physicalness of Kentucky. Too bad for Cornell to play Kentucky, they would have a serious shot to beeat anyone else still alive.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Xavier certainly still in it... but you're right, they don't need to start digging another hole.

And Inty, thanks for reminding me, I should get around to starting that 'what if' thread...

24. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I picked Washington to beat Marquette.

Anyway, I think it's more that a Cinderella is meant to be an out of nowhere team, not a team known to be well, or one with a strong history but maybe a bad year.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Xavier back within 1!

lots of fouls in this game :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.