March Madness 2010 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    Definitely not (to the Kentucky part). [face_sick]

I had Kentucky in my bracket, but I did start leaning toward wanting Cornell to win. Of course, that wasn't going to happen, the way UK was playing last night. :p

And :mad: @ K-State.
  2. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    You know, if Calipari and Self traded places on this banner, we could do a huge giant red X over all the Kansas and Syracuse people :p
  3. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_laugh] That would be pretty funny. We might need to switch Kentucky and Duke people tonight, too, though. :p
  4. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    I've seen more anti-Kentucky sentiments lately than I've seen in a good while. Oh, well. Every story needs a villain, I suppose, and it's been awhile since we were good enough to be truly hated. Last night, among national sportswriters and every fan outside of the Big Blue Nation, we were truly hated. And you know what? EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE ******* COUNTRY CAN-

*takes deep breath*

No, no. I won't say anything like that yet. Not until after next weekend, anyway.
  5. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I think you should be flattered, captain. Nothing wrong with being painted as the big bad guy. It means Kentucky is back where it belongs, as opposed to being irrelevant like in the Gillespie days.
  6. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I agree completely. I was too young to really notice any hate on a national scale during the Rick Pitino years, and I think everyone either loved Tubby or felt he wasn't a threat. So this is the first time I've really experienced hate directed toward my team.

I've read things, though. Let me just say that if any Kentucky fan saw John Feinstein, not only should said fan punch him in the face, he should be penalized and have his fan card taken away if he fails to do so.
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Duke gets it all the time, so it doesn't bother me.

And yeah, I was rooting hard against Kentucky last night, but I'm pretty much always pulling against Kentucky. Unless they're playing one of a handful of other teams (North Carolina, for example).
  8. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't really understand rabid Duke hate, really. The only times I really hate Duke are when we play them. And when CBS shows The Shot from the '92 game on a seemingly endless loop (the hurt never goes away). But usually when Duke is playing UNC, I root for the underdog.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind seeing Duke if we get to the Final Four. Ratings would be through the roof and it would be a good basketball game. At this point, that's what I'm rooting for. I want to see the best possible basketball on that last weekend.
  9. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    One thing about Kentucky coverage is that Calipari has made his share of enemies over the years, both in the coaching ranks and in the press. Having taken a few semesters of cultural studies/media classes, I've learned to filter out a lot of what I read and rarely take anything for face value. There's always an agenda.

The build-up to the Cornell game did get out of hand, though. I don't care a bit how many languages a player speaks or what cushy job he has lined up after school -hey, I'm sure plenty of finance 'geniuses' who led us to economic ruin were Ivy educated.

As far as Duke hate goes, that stems from the very, very cozy relationship the team and coach share with the media. You could call it petty resentment, but I just call it backlash from oversaturation.
  10. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe that's why I don't mind it so much. I rarely take anything the sports media says seriously. I mean, seriously, how is Digger Phelps, a guy that coached some very bitter games against Kentucky while at Notre Dame (and who famously asked former UK Coach Joe Hall "Where's my horse?" after a football recruiting flap involving ownership of a horse) going to be unbiased in his analysis?

11. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Currently, I'm channeling hate toward any 1-4 seeds for all games.
  12. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    It might have something to do with the fact that Memtucky has a Class-A scumbag for a coach.
  13. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I assume you probably wanted Chaney to drop some haymakers on Calipari then, DT. :p

I'm not going to defend Calipari here or dig into the slimy surface of college sports, but I'll say this: whenever any upstart school ruffles feathers or overturns the apple cart, they undergo a level of scrutiny from their bigger -and threatened- peers. Sure, some major programs get hit too, but if investigated all of them, I'm sure we'd emerge with players cheating their way through school or getting something from a booster/agent/whatever.
  14. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    The bottom line is that coaches cannot have full and total control over his players 24/7/365. That's how a guy like Marcus Camby takes money from an agent. Do we hold Calipari responsible for that? And here's what gets me about the Derrick Rose thing. I realize that the NCAA was sending him notices that he was being investigated. But they did that AFTER they cleared him to play for a season. Why clear him to play if you're still investigating a situation? And beyond that, how can you retroactively declare a player ineligible AFTER the NCAA Clearing House declared him eligible? Why even have a Clearing House at that point?

Anyway, I didn't come here to defend Calipari. I actually came to see if one of you guys could help me. I have grown nostalgic over the past few days and I'd like to see the 1992 Duke-UK Regional Final in its entirety. Better still, I believe FSN did a Beyond the Glory called "The Unforgettables: 1992 East Regional Final" or something like that. Trouble is, I'm not having any luck finding either of those things. I have someone who needs to see them in order to understand just how much that 1992 team meant to not only the program, but the whole state as well. If anyone can help, thank you.
  15. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    To clarify: do you want to see the whole game in its entirety, or the whole game except the ending? :p

(sorry, couldn't resist) Anyway, wish I could help, but I can't think of anything. If only that NCAA Vault site went back before the past decade. That said, if you find it anywhere online, let me know, because I wouldn't mind watching it all either.
  16. IntyMobile Jedi Master

star 1
    Edward jones dome is too large for a regional.

Bucks in some hot water with Lighty in foul trouble.

Go Buckeyes!!

edit: Up three at half. Gotta get more consistant on D
  17. IntyMobile Jedi Master

star 1
    Can someone please check Chism? And his eligibility?
  18. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    If I have to watch a championship with Memtucky and the Hillbilly Vols, there better be plenty of liquor.

Go team! And by that I mean any team but UK and TN!
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Been out all evening until now... very surprised to see OSU fall :(

Worried about this Duke-Purdue game right now... [face_worried]

EDIT: now a 9 point Duke lead :) Much better, but this is far from over and Zoubek's out with 4 fouls [face_worried]
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    And Duke should move on :)

Northern Iowa fell, though, which leaves Tennessee as the worst seeded team going into the tournament that is still alive.

Duke-Baylor on Sunday!
  21. Jedi_Johnson Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, needless to say I'll be rooting against Kentucky tomorrow.
  22. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think in your case it'll be less of rooting against Kentucky and more rooting for West Virginia :p

Me, on the other hand, will be pulling against Kentucky ;)
  23. captain-fantastic Jedi Master

star 4
    And I'll be rooting for them.

RJ, if you're going to watch the 92 game, you have to watch the whole game. Though it never stops hurting, it also makes me proud to be a UK fan for what that team accomplished. They had no business being in that game, and we all know what happened.

Also, I hate Tennessee. That is all.
  24. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Oh, I'd love to watch the whole game. Sure, the end gets replayed again and again ( :D ), but that doesn't mean the rest of the game wouldn't be worth watching.

And I agree with you about Tennessee :p
  25. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    This day seemed so promising when it started.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.