March Madness 2010 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Back to the Final Four!

Go Blue Devils!
  2. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    I won't lie, that game had me nervous. Singler slumping, all those blocked shots by Baylor, Baylor's inside game. [face_worried]

But now?

DUKE IS IN THE FINAL FOUR, BABY! :D=D=[face_flag][face_dancing][face_cowboy]:cool:[face_devil]
  3. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Butler all the way. The hero among 3 villains
  4. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I wouldn't exactly call WVU villains...they haven't been to the Final Four in 50 years.

I still have two Final Four teams left, which is better than I expected. I will be rooting against my pick (Duke over WVU) when those two play, though.

My dream final: WVU vs. Butler.
  5. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    You picked Duke to the championship game, McClain?
  6. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I have nevr really liked West Virginia, but they are more of a football villain. Yes I was pulling hard for WVU over Kentucky and will be doing so against Duke as well. But I would much rather see Butler win than WV
  7. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yep. Although, part of me wanted to have them loose to Louisville in the second round. I (unfortunately :p) made the right choice.

Just because I can't stand them doesn't mean they're not talented. :p
  8. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Glad you recognize that :)

Honestly, I don't think Duke's been playing particularly well so far in the tournament. Certainly not up to their potential. Sure, they've won and gotten this far, but Singler had his worst game ever as a Blue Devil against Baylor today, and it was only because Nolan Smith bailed him out by putting up 29 that Duke could get away with it. Zoubek's played fairly well inside, but he's been picking up way too many fouls, and its been a struggle to keep him on the court. The other inside guys - Thomas, Plumlee and Plumlee - haven't done much, though Duke doesn't expect that much offense from them right now. If Duke plays up to their potential, no team left in the field will stop them - West Virginia could come close, but that's it. And with Truck Bryant limited it would be even tougher. But Duke hasn't been playing up to that level, and that leaves them vulnerable. They certainly can't afford to have Singler have another game like today, or have Scheyer fall back in the shooting slump he was in to start the tournament.
  9. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Only one good thing can come from Duke winning this. Shutting up the UNC fans that have been calling local radio shows all year saying "talk when you have a title" when anyone said something about their dreadful season.

But is that enough to root for Duke?[face_thinking]

NO
  10. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Once I got past the second round I didn't see anybody who I thought would knock off Duke until this stage of the tourney. Louisville didn't win it's game, so things (sort of) worked out.

Duke hasn't been dominant this tournament. No one really had except Kentucky, and that ended with a sketching halt. It's been a fun tourney to watch, that's for sure.
  11. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, I'm probably not even going to be able to watch most or any of Duke's game next Saturday night in the Final Four. I just found out that my church's Easter Vigil service is that night around the same time. Only the biggest and most important event in the church calendar, to boot. [face_plain]

That sucks ass.
  12. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    If it makes you feel any better, Rew, I won't be able to see it live for exactly the same reason. I do, however, plan on recording it on our DVR, so watching it later is the plan :)
  13. Jedi_Johnson Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd be more worried about Joe Mazzulla than Truck. Before Joe got hurt he was a monster. One that Coach K has pointed at being the star of the game in the last WVU vs. Duke matchup in the tournament. For those that hadn't heard Joe broke the growth plate in his left shoulder and missed an entire season after that. It was questionable as to whether he would ever play again.

After a year of rehab Joe was playing again this year but had to shoot right handed despite being a natural left handed player. It was only recently he's been able to move his shoulder to the point he can resume shooting left handed. The kid has heart and is definitely firing on all cylinders right now (having a career game against Kentucky), and all bias aside that should make him scary to any WVU opponents from here on out.

The WVU vs. Duke game will definitely be a good one!
  14. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Oh, I'm certainly not dismissing Mazzulla. He is an excellent player in his own right. But its always tougher for a team when a starter and key player is hurt and questionable as to how much he'll be able to play. And I don't think any team remaining in the tournament can stop Duke IF Duke is at its best. That said, it is far from certain that Duke will play up to its potential, and if they aren't at the top of their game, West Virginia is VERY capable of winning and going to the title game. Duke hasn't been at its best so far, I'm just hoping they can get it together for Saturday.
  15. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Duke grabbed so many of their own misses against Baylor that I find it hard for them to replicate that performance against a good rebounding team like West Virginia.
  16. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    True, it'll be much harder to get offensive rebounds (though that is something Duke has done fairly well this season, especially since Zoubek stepped up), but I have to think Duke will come out of its shooting slump, too.

Duke shot 36% against Baylor, 8 percentage points below their season average. Singler failed to make a single field goal (for the first time in his college career). That won't happen again.

Oh, and Duke is 10-0 on a neutral court this season, 6 of those decided by double figures, and 3 by over 20 points.
  17. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    As a Memphis fan, this has been an awesome March Madness. And we weren't even in the playoffs!

Kansas lost? Check.

Tennessee lost? Check.

Kentucky lost? A lovely, delicious check.

And we have next year to look forward to, a hopefully somewhat better year with the No. 1 recruit class.

That being said, this year: Go Butler!
  18. DarthIntegral Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Go Butler, indeed!

Also, to all the analysts and experts ... Duke making the Final Four does NOT validate the committee's decision in seeding them. The fact that they are the only #1 remaining validates the griping all of us have that Duke was given the easiest path by far.
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Really, Inty? I'm not disagreeing that Duke's bracket certainly looked easier going in... but most of the teams in the South played according to their seeds (top seeds usually won).

Upsets by region: (looking at any time a higher seed loses, though 9 over 8 and even 10 over 7 aren't really true upsets and get discounted in the "significant" number)

South:
    11 Old Dominion over 6 Notre Dame
    10 St Mary's over 7 Richmond
    10 St. Mary's over 2 Villanova

3 games, 2 significant, biggest seed differential of 8

East:
    9 Wake Forest over 8 Texas
    12 Cornell over 5 Temple
    11 Washington over 6 Marquette
    10 Missouri over 7 Clemson
    12 Cornell over 4 Wisconsin
    11 Washington over 3 New Mexico
    2 West Virginia over 1 Kentucky

7 games, 4 significant, biggest seed differential of 8

Midwest:
    9 Northern Iowa over 8 UNLV
    14 Ohio over 3 Georgetown
    10 Georgia Tech over 7 Oklahoma State
    9 Northern Iowa over 1 Kansas
    5 Michigan State over 4 Maryland
    6 Tennessee over 2 Ohio State

6 games, 3 significant, biggest seed differential of 11

West:
    13 Murray State over 4 Vanderbilt
    6 Xavier over 3 Pittsburgh
    5 Butler over 1 Syracuse
    5 Butler over 2 Kansas State

4 games, 2-4 significant (depending on whether you count 6 over 3/5 over 2 - I'd consider those more significant than 10 over 7, though the seed differential is the same), biggest seed differential of 9

So, in short: the top teams in the "weak" South played more like top seeds than any other region. That's indicative of a strong region, not a weak region. Unless you're calling a region strong based on its double-digit seeds, which certainly was not what people were complaining about after Selection Sunday - it was all about "ooh, look at Ohio State and Georgetown and Maryland and Michigan State" - not once did I hear Northern Iowa mentioned in the conversation of how the Midwest was stacked.

The South had 3 of its top 4 make the Sweet 16. The East had 2, the Midwest had 1, and the West had 2. Hmm, those top 4 seeds in the other regions didn't look so good.
  20. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    There were almost 30,000 fans in attendance for Butler's practice at Lucas Oil Stadium today. :p
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    That's a lot of fans for a practice. Heck, that's a lot of fans for a game :p
  22. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Just got home from work and pleased to see a tied game at the half at 28 all.
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Good first half :) Unfortunately, that's probably all I'll see live...

Go Bulldogs, but more importantly, Go Blue Devils!
  24. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, very tight game between Butler and MSU so far. Butler's really proving that they belong here.
  25. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Un-freaking-real... =D=

Butler in the Final.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.