main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

March Madness 2010 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_dancing]

Nice work, Butler!

Hopefully West Virginia can get it done, too.

2. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    DON'T DOUBT THE HAYWARD!!!!!

3. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm feeling really optimistic about Duke right now. That was a solid first half. If we play like that for 20 more minutes, we'll be in good shape. :)

And congratulations to Butler! :cool:

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Da'Sean Butler hurt his knee, presumably done for the night. It's too bad that his great career at West Virginia is ending like this.

Not looking good for WVU. Their D hasn't been very good all night long.

Let's go Butler Bulldogs!

5. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    OMIGAWD that wasn't even close. BLUE DEVILS ON TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! [face_devil][face_devil][face_devil]

Props to WVU, though--and shame about Butler's knee. :(

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Let's go DUKE! [face_dancing] =D= [face_dancing] =D= [face_dancing]

All I've seen is the score and the stats... gonna watch a little bit tonight and the rest tomorrow :)

Duke-Butler final! It's been a great run for Butler, and tons of props to them for it, but here's to it ending now :)

EDIT: what the heck? I set the DVR to record early in the week, double checked it this afternoon just to make sure it was set properly (and it was)... and yet apparently it didn't record :mad: I got to watch some highlights on ESPN, but apparently I won't get to watch the game :mad:

7. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Everyone with a soul will be pulling for Butler on Monday.:p

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    QFT. :p

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_talk_hand]

I think that qualifies as a flame of all Duke fans :p

10. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Think about it though, this has been the craziest and most exciting tournament in recent memory, and if Duke wins, it will be the most unfortunate and anticlimactic way to cap it off. It would be a shame if Duke won, actually. :p

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Indeed. Duke has a moral imperative, for the good of the tournament, to lose.

12. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Despite initial hope by Butler and Bob Huggins, the knee is messed up. Really bad. Butler has a tear in his ACL, a spring in his MCL and two bone bruises. Before the game Butler was presented with the Lowe?s Senior CLASS award. Here?s hoping he has a successful recovery.via: TBL

That's a shame. Da'Sean had a great season and had improved his draft prospects... what a way to go out.

I know a lot of people have had issue with Bob Huggins in the past but it would be real difficult not to be moved by his actions last night. I saw this on WVMetroNews and wanted to pass along what Butler said happened on the court while Huggins was talking to him:

[image=http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100404/capt.d19aa89c61a14ad1a96c37c0f9943105-d19aa89c61a14ad1a96c37c0f9943105-0.jpg]

"I was apologizing to him," Butler said. "I wanted so bad to win it all for him. He has done so much for me. It was the one thing I wanted to get for him and couldn't get for him." And what did Huggins say to Butler while the star player was done on the floor? "Don't be sorry and I love you."

Best of luck to Da'Sean in his recovery!

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_talk_hand]

And its really a shame about [Da'Sean] Butler... hate for a guy to go out like that, especially a great player like he was :(

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah, I felt so deflated after that injury that I didn't even celebrate the rest of the game with the usual ardor that I would of my favorite team advancing to the championship. (Don't get me wrong; I was still celebrating, though!) It really took the wind out of all the fans, both WVU and Duke.

But I will know no mercy against Butler tomorrow night! [face_devil] And while it does suck that pretty much the entire country will be rooting against Duke tomorrow, it's preferable to be universally hated and yet playing for (and hopefully winning) a championship. ;)

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Think about it ...

if Duke wins, it's another tournament. Some good moments, some games to talk about until next year's games, some great moments.

If Butler wins, though, it's the/i] tournament. It's the year that it truly became possible for a team from any conference to win a title. A tournament we'll talk about forever.

If you are a Duke alumus, or a lifelong/die-hard Duke fan, by all means, cheer for Duke.

Everyone else, including "casual" Duke fans ... cheer for Butler, and let's hope we all get our wish.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Indeed, everything every upset team has played for will be ruined if Duke wins.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep...if Butler pulls it off, this will be the tournament that our grandkids will be sick of hearing about. All college basketball fans will remember exactly where they were when the game happened. It's got a Hoosiers vibe to it, especially with Butler being in the state of Indiana.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Comparions:
    1997 Ariona wins as a 4th seed
    1988 Kansas wins as a 6th seed
    1985 Villanova wins as an 8th seed

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Granted, I was -1 when 'Nova beat Georgetown and not quite 2 when Kansas won as a 6 seed, but I think that a Butler win would feel bigger than that. It has the mystique of a mid-major against a (seemingly) perennial contender, which none of the previous "upset championship" games did.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nope, nope, and nope. Pac-10, Big 12, Big East? Compared to Horizon?

The best Championship game comparison would be 1966 Texas Western vs Kentucky, except without the racial overtones :p

21. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I intended to say comparisons. You can't say no, I'm pretty sure you can compare those.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You can compare anything. That doesn't make them good comparisons. I could compare this to 2008 Kansas vs North Carolina. It would be a horrible comparison, but it would still be a comparison. The 1966 example is the only one I've seen mentioned anywhere that I think is actually a good comparison. Comparing Butler to a team from any major conference doesn't cut it.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    At however many years going back through march madness records, I felt like I'd gone far enough.

24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So is everybody excited about seeing a new banner in The Arena tonight? :D

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Sounds like a plan to me :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.