main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

March Madness 2010 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, the main goal of the first round is not to lose the teams you have going deep into the tournament. A single first round game usually doesn't mean much, bracket-wise

EDIT: lol @ Rew

The good kind of lol, though :p

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, this isn't so much a sign that the rest will go well as me enjoying this while it lasts.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I had to check my bracket, but I did, too. That worked out. :p

4. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    This was me a third of the way into the game.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    lol @ all of you :p

EDIT: unfortunately, I didn't pick Murray State. But I didn't have Vandy out of the second round, so its not too big of a deal for me.

And Baylor's now up 4 with 2 minutes to go.

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sam Houston St. looks like it's done.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Sam Houston is dissolving right now, and really letting this start to slip away.

8. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    All year long it felt like there weren't that many elite teams, and given most of the results today, you could say this is a season of parity across a large portion of the NCAA.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, there has not been a dominant team this year like last year with Carolina, for example.

Parity makes things more fun, though. At least come Tourney Time.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep, Sam Houston State fell apart there at the end. Oh well, it isn't like we haven't had other great finishes in other games :p

St Marys-Richmond could be another great finish, though. Good game so far.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That's where I'm headed. Who wants to watch K State thump North Texas?

Yeah, that's what I thought. :p

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I disagree. There are dominant teams this year, it's just that after the top-seven (Kansas, Syracuse, Kentucky, Duke, West Virginia, Ohio State, Kansas State), there's not much. Flashes and inconsistency, but that's about it.

There parity, but it's not at the top. It's in the second-tier and below.

13. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't think West Virginia even belongs in the group. It's basically been Kansas and Kentucky all year, with Syracuse coming out of nowhere to join them.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    What? Do you not watch east-coast basketball at all?

West Virginia has one "bad" loss all year ... and it was in-conference, on the road, at a desperate UCONN team. They have one of the best non-conference wins (beating Ohio State), and they won (arguably) the best conference's tournament.

Syracuse didn't "come out of nowhere". They've been among the elite teams all year, and pretty much dominated the Big East, outside of Louisville. Without an injury, they are in discussion for the #1 overall seed.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    West Virginia definitely belongs in the group - they were very close to getting a #1 seed, and with reason.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I can't remember how far I took Richmond in my brackets, but this game could kill me.

Also, UTEP-Butler is tipping off/early going.

The Pick: Butler
    Cheering for: Butler

Gotta love the Horizon league.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    UTEP up early! Well, 2-1, big deal :p [face_laugh]

St Mary's now up 7... Richmond's gonna have to come back.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Samhan just went to the bench with foul trouble for St. Mary's. That could (should) open up things for a Spiders comeback.

If they could make a lay-up.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    My point was that this season isn't seen as Kansas (for example)'s to loose. There are any number of teams that could win it.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well ... I think this is game is just about over. St. Mary's will go on to play 'Nova. And we've hit a real lull. Two games that are pretty much over, and one that's just getting underway.

And, McClain, what I'm saying is I think the fact that we're seeing such good, close games today is a result of after the 7th team, there's not much you can count on, so upsets could be very common. There's not that second-tier set of teams you can bank on this year. I don't know if I'd trust any team seeded below the two-line to win if my life depended on it.

21. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Syracuse began the season unranked. I think the jump to #1 qualifies as a surprise. And I give West Virginia credit for a spirited Big East tournament, but they weren't in this discussion before that point. They certainly lapped Villanova, who looked like title contenders a month ago and now still can't find themselves.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, I gottcha. [face_peace]

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Preseason rankings are meaningless. Syracuse won their first 15 games or something like that - that's not coming out of nowhere. Coming out of nowhere would be going 7-6 or so before conference season, then tearing through a power conference at 15-1 or so.

24. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    But who saw that coming?

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    walked away from a competitive halftime game, came back and saw Butler +22 in the second half. Crazy. Gonna watch The Office reruns until the next slew of games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.