main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena March Madness 2011 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Most of you probably remember how we did this last year, and it was a lot of fun for all involved. So given last year's success, we're going to do it again!

For the first time, we're actually going to get to pick which games we want to watch on TV, without being restricted to what CBS wants to show us! I should be able to take Thursday and Friday afternoon off, so I should be able to be here constantly while watching (and probably flipping through) the games. I'm definitely looking forward to that, and not being restricted to following games via score updates on the computer.

The first play-in games are tonight, starting at 6:30, so we have about 5 hours before the tournament officially gets underway, though I think most still think of the tournament as truly beginning at midday Thursday.

So, while we wait for the games to start... what are you looking forward to this year? What games strike your interest? Who do you think will be the early exits, and who's going to make the Final Four? And if you haven't already, be sure to join our bracket challenge game!

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm going with UNC Asheville in this one.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep, first game is underway! I'm going to borrow Inty's format from last year

Game 1: UNC-Asheville vs Arkansas Little Rock

Pick (not official for the play-in games): UNC-Asheville
    Pulling for: UNC-Asheville

Best case scenario: The winner of the game is ready to beat Pitt in two days :p

Don't really know much about either team, but I'm pulling for Asheville just because I remember when they had the giant 7'7" guy who couldn't run but could dunk without jumping. He's gone by now, but that's still more than I can say about Little Rock.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Conversation on the way home:

Radio guy on an update: Early on, Arkansas-Little Rock leads UNC-Asheville

Inty: Sweet, I bet 25 bucks on Little Rock

Mrs Inty: WHAT?

Hurray, March Madness. Where my obsession can briefly convince my wife that I have degraded into the most addicted and hopeless gambling-holic.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Biggest NCAA news of the day: Coach K said earlier that there is a chance Kyrie Irving could be available on Friday for Duke's opener. He won't start and will be limited in minutes (if he does play), but that would help him get back in the flow with the rest of the team. Excellent news! :D

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Thanks for gettting rid of the blue on blue. It was really bothering me.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Good. The Cavs need a few games to evaluate him and see if he's worthy of the top pick (should they get it). I was sold on Sullinger until I watched Barnes in the ACC Semifinal. Now, not so sure.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    A friend and I were talking just the other day about the chances of the Cavs ending up with Irving and Sullinger. They'd need some kindness in the lottery, but its possible :p

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I definitely see the Cavs taking Sullinger. Irving, as you said, is definitely going to be a longshot.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Haven't been watching too much of the NCAA game, but it's looking like a pretty good game. Arkansas LR still leading, but not by too much.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I had it on MMOD, but I felt my soul slipping away as I watched two 16-seeds play.

Bummed I won't be able to watch nearly as much of the opening weekend as I did last year. But, I am angling to be able to leave work early enough on Friday to get home in time to watch the OSU game.

12. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    It's turning into a better game here at the end, but yeah, it was sort of sucking my soul out of my body for a while there, too. :p

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And ... I just got sucked back in. One possession game, in March, less than three minutes to play?

I just can't not watch!

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    While you two were losing souls, I was watching Dayton and CofC. But by now? Yeah, I'm watching the NCAA game. Looks like a good finish coming up.

EDIT: tie game, 10 seconds to go!

15. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    MARCH MADNESS!! We're tied with ten seconds left!!

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I had my doubts as to if I'd care about the "First Four", but this is a fun game to watch.

Really don't like the "keep passing and trying bad three pointers" offense, but it worked there.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Overtime!

Also, agreed about the bunch of passes followed by a bad 3 though :p

18. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    R...J, at least Inty and I have souls to lose. Duke fans generally lack one of those. :p

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    UNCA with the lead.

I started watchimg at the half and it's been fun so far.

21. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    What's up everyone. I hope this dosen't go to mulitple overtimes.

RJ how many do we have in the bracket challenge now?

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    If UNCA hits their FTs, it should be over.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_talk_hand] @ Trika

Asheville up 2 with the ball, 22 seconds to go. Dangerous pass. LR has to foul, and they're not! Ok, there we go with the foul. Way too long if you're LR.

hey, reche. Let's see... looks like 15 so far in the bracket challenge. Not bad :)

Now a 4 point lead with 12 seconds to go.

EDIT: and that'll do it! Great first game regardless of the seeding!

24. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Nice job, Asheville. Now go beat Pitt. lol

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And, if there was any doubt these were 16-seeds, it's all gone after watching both teams try to execute in clutch time. :p

Fun game, though. At least the endings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.