main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA March Meeting - 3/17/07

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL - I had no idea your meeting was on the 10th. No, this is something to do with my family and a non-profit association that meets once a year.

2. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    I would surf, but I'm terrified of sharks. Especially the sharks 'round these parts. I know, I know, the likelihood of attack is small...they don't really want to eat us...but have you seen those things?

I love the ocean tho. I just don't want to get eaten.

I can do the 17th, I think.

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    And great whites are known to swim the Farralones.

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    You do realize you have a better chance being hit by lightening than being attacked by a shark. Besides even if you encounter one aim for the nose that contains the Ampullae of Lorenzini, a series of nerve bundles that detects eletrical signals from things buried in the sand and thus very sensitive to impact. Pretty much like poking someone in the eyes. Further more just do not surf in those areas that have sharks because from the bottom sillohette a body on a surf board looks like a elephant's seal body profile when looking up from below the water. We're not the food they want at all and we do not even have close to enough calories to sustain a predator like that. That damn Jaws movie ruined the sharks rep. lol

5. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I know that. Some people are paranoid because of that damn movie. I solve that problem by not being able to swim.

6. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Brings back the good old days the aquarium, right Ming? If anyone wants to have a discussion about sharks, let me know. I got books I can show you, although I think Ming covered most of it. You have a much better chance of drowning than being bitten by a shark, and even if you are bitten, chances of survival are good. But for some reason being eaten scares people more than anything else. At least we have Peter Benchly on our side now. lol
    Lou, Charles actually surfs. He usually goes to Pacifica, when he has time of course.

7. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Yes... drowning... that's it... that's the one that would do it in for me and I'm the one that's CPR certified and have worked in TWO aquariums! Oh the irony...

8. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Okay....back to the topic, is this date good for everyone, or is Sunday, the 18th, or Saturday, the 31st possibly?

9. NivekSkywalker

NivekSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    the 17th is better for me.

10. Dolfinz

Dolfinz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2005
    any saturday is good for me...sunday not so much.

11. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    Sorry Matt, it's just that I hear misinformation about sharks and I see blood in the water, lol. Either of those dates work for me.

12. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    sharks can however detect a drop of blood in an olympic size swimming pool.

13. GreytaleNovastar1138

GreytaleNovastar1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    What are these meetings about anyhow? Seems like topics go astray in here like STs firing shots from blasters in all SW movies... ;)

heheheh Don't take it personally, lol...

14. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    It's all my fault for bringing up my fear of sharks. I actually know quite a bit about sharks, although you wouldn't think so to witness my melodrama concerning them. I know about the hitting/kicking in the nose, although Ming has the terminology down and describes it much better. I don't mean to be one of those people who perpetuates a false stereotype against the animals. I am glad they are protected in certain waters, but hope it will expand someday. We obviously have a lot to learn from them since they are such old, hearty creatures. I really find them fascinating, although I'm at the same time afraid.

But on the meeting, I can do either date...hopefully I get there on time as I haven't been able to do in a while. It seems most are available for the 17th? That sounds good to me too.

Again sorry about the derailing. [face_worried]

15. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000

Funny you should ask, our meetings are actually very much like this... Constantly going astray and people making random comments about things that have nothing to do with the topic at hand... :cool:

Consequently sharks are some of the oldest species in the world dating even before the time the dinosaurs all the way back to the Devonian era appoximately 400 millions years ago where fish started to develop legs to become some the first terestrial tetrapods. There's actually much we can learn from them since they are such an ancient species. Some cultures believe that sharks may have a key to countering cancer and since it has been rarely found in any species however I think that has been demythtified. Gotta respect any species that survived the last planet killer class meteor impact during the Cretaceous. I doubt we will.

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Actually our meetings are a way of meeting new members, planning events, and paying $ owed ;) . That is, if no one talks over me and go off-topic when I'm trying to conduct the meeting. [face_shame_on_you]

17. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    But then it would be boring Matty! [face_laugh]

18. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Ah, and there is no try Matty. ;)

19. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm afraid I'm out for the 17th due to family plans for the holiday. Sorry to miss pictures, if you do them. I can paypal money over, though, if someone can give me the info.

Regarding the clubbing that Dale mentioned earlier in the thread... when were we talking about going? I've gotten confused over the date.

20. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently the plan is to go Friday night March 16 to the Cat Club. Matt and Dale told me they got passes for that night. It's a little more of a mix up of music including 80's, 90's and other stuff. At least most of us wouldn't have to worry about working the next day.

21. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I'll pass on the Cat Club.

22. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I'll just be getting back from Vegas... What the hell...

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Duh?! ;) More women for me, I guess. :D

Seriously, it has come to my attention that this meeting will deal with something concerning the future of this club if it is going to continue. Unfortunately, I can't discuss it here, so you'll have to come to the meeting to hear what it is.

24. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    oooo... dramatic Matt... may show up for this one afterall. My guess is... financial contributions to club ventures?

25. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Well this essentially was the worst kept secret...But when some of us went to The Cat Club, the Thursday night of WonderCon, we all kind of agreed through Rose's suggestion that we use those passes to celebrate both her's and Alison's b-days. So it kind of ties in with Celebrating them, then once midnight hits - "Green Day"![face_good_luck] [face_dancing]

So let's plan this quick-style. I personally have to work a full shift Friday Morning, do the Club thing, go to the meeting the next day, then head straight to work for a closing shift...[face_tired]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.