main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA Mardi Gras

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MotherPalpatine, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    This Saturday is the celebration of Mardi Gras presented by the Creative Center. As many of you are aware several of us will be helping out as members of the Guild of St. Mort's. But I wanted to say to the rest that you should come and check things out. There will be things happening all day including the Kids Carnival and then in the evening a street dance.

I attended the first Mardi Gras parade when this began several years ago and thought it was great, if a bit cold. I did not know what to expect and neither did many others. The next year it was much closer to a New Orleans Mardi Gras with a group from the Visalia Dance Studio marching down Main street with nothing much on but body paint, silk plants, and filmy fabric. One young man was painted green with a few well placed ivy leaves. Very few.:eek:

Then suddenly the parade was during the day and the body paint was gone but the beads remained. I have a nice collection of Mardi Gras beads that I gather each year except last year because I could not find the parade. I believe that they have moved to the Creative Center. I'm not sure. Visalia Mardi Gras is a family and children's event so I guess the night parades and body painting is long gone. Which I do agree with if this is for children and families.

But you guys should check out the event and with any luck it will be a little warmer then last week.

2. mileniumhanandshrimp

mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2005
    couldn't be much colder.

if it was, it would take very few ivy leaves, indeed. maybe just one.

3. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004
    He was young and moving a lot. Natural body heat. I think there may have been 3 or 4 leaves.

Remember front and back.:)

4. Cruzer_Fett

Cruzer_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2005
    First George on Sienfield, now right here on the boards...is nothing sacred!

[face_blush]

5. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004

[b][color=firebrick]No, not really.[face_grin] [/color][/b]

6. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    had a fun time, in spite of the fact that i was wearing a heavy dress and high boots... and a silly hat.

tiff and tarah were breathtaking, which is appropriate since they probably could not breathe... i got off light, compared to them, and i assure you i was not comfortable [in my borrowed clothing]

MP and the crazy old wizard appeared to be having a good time, out doing the rounds and talking to people.

and the fight seemed to go quite well, as far as i could tell from my seat, in a dimly lit room, with waiters passing back and forth in my line of sight. haven't checked yet, but i'm sure i have many blurry pictures :oops:

it was neat to see the fruits of our labors, finally in their context. the food was good, the wine was good, the band was GREAT.

7. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    yup, many blurry pictures.

and i just wanted to say a BIG thank you to milady meow, who took time out of her busy life to assemble costumes for us, take them in to get them dry-cleaned, help get us dressed (and undressed) and even help fix hair.

so, thanks. without you, it would not have been possible. [:D]

8. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004

9. The-Bald-Wookiee

The-Bald-Wookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Joyeaux Mardis Gras!

[face_dancing]Today is Mardi Gras, my favoritest holiday of all.[face_dancing]

It also happens to be the best holiday because not only does it involve tasty food, jumpin' music and great friends, but also because it's the only one that lasts for seven weeks!

Not too shabby eh?

([face_talk_hand] and before anyone brings up drunken college students let me just point out that that ain't Mardi Gras, that's just drunken college students being dumb and ign'ant=P~)

Mardi Gras is a family holiday that begins on the twelfth night after Christmas, usually called, well, Twelfth Night. Traditionally it starts with small, intimate family get-togethers and slowly builds, after a few weeks you've got bigger and bigger parties, until finally everything spills out into the streets. The parades start a week or so before the big day with Krewes all trying to outdo each other and top themselves from the previous year. And all you've got to do for beads is shout, "Jetez-moi quelque chose Monsieur," "Throw me something Mister!"

For a taste of the action live check out http://www.wwoz.org/ a New Orleans jazz/heritage station.

Callin' everyone home. C'est magnifique!

10. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    Joyeaux Mardis Gras to you also, My Tallest!

laissez les bon temps rouler!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.