main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Marine kills wounded Iraqi"- Why should I care?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by masterskywalker, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_Cope

John_Cope Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2003
    Someone just called the soldiers "orcs". Now you say your prayers are with them.
    I don't care who has called the soldiers "orcs". It has nothing to do with my point of view. I support the troops even I'm german. I don't believe in the current government but the troops have my sympathy.

2. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    Well no one is afraid of questioning our own government. Just look at Micheal Moore.

EDIT: We just happen to agree with the government. Can't everyone have their own point of view?

3. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    well maybe war has been about senseless killing for tousands of years, and it went totally fine without the media/moral critique, but then you need to ask yourself: maybe every war for thousands of years SHOULD have had moral critique. maybe, killing people for economic reasons SHOULD be examined morally.

but i guess questioning our motives and changing our lives, beliefs or philosophies would be too much effort for most of us. WHAT was i thinking.

4. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    I never said that, AnakinsGrl.

You know we could have just dropped a few nukes on Baghdad. That would have seen no loss of American life and a regime change. Why didn't we? It's because we still value the civilian's lives. In this war, the civilian casulaties could have been much higher. The Iraqis should consider themselves lucky that the Americans are so well trained.

And if you break the geneva convention by fighting inside of a mosque, then I don't see what you could expect.

5. John_Cope

Oct 13, 2003
    but i guess questioning our motives and changing our lives, beliefs or philosophies would be too much effort for most of us. WHAT was i thinking.
    I understand your way of thinking just perfect and just to take it further I say that I'm a proud liberal person who views "Europe" as the "Home Country", not Germany.
    But honestly, very few to none of us has been into those situations. And, I repeat myself, you have to keep in mind what this soldier had just been through.

The soldiers are the ones I would blame the last for the ongoing situation. I hope for a wonder.

6. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    You can change your philosophies all you want, it doesn't mean that others have to.

And those others will always be there to make war.

7. John_Cope

Oct 13, 2003
    What do you mean?

8. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    I mean that you can act all high and mighty and liberal and say, "I have no need for war. We are at peace."

Then the ones who have not changed will bight you directly on your ass. See 9/11.

9. John_Cope

Oct 13, 2003
    I mean that you can act all high and mighty and liberal and say, "I have no need for war. We are at peace."
    I don't know how liberalism is viewed upon your country, but I can tell you this: We're not this liberal when we feel the time has come to act like a warrior, you can definately count on the german republic.

Then the ones who have not changed will bight you directly on your ass. See 9/11.
    The ones who whave not changed? They must be very studid.

10. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    "My prayers are with them, but don't you think that's a really stupid point of view? It basically means you do not question decisions of the current running government. I don't know why you Americans keep your government this high."

Uhhhhh excuse me, I did my part to overthrow my govt. I voted. But since the majority of Americans didn't share my point of view, I have no other choice. It works the same in Law Enforcment - I may not like some of the laws I enforce but I have to do it. And it looks like we are one of only a few countries still left on the planet that hasn't completely imploded due to our Govt. That says alot about our govt and country which is still a huge Super Power. We haven't seperated into several little countries. We hold our govt high because we are not inconstant with our leaders. We don't change them every other week because we don't like what they wear or how their hair looks on tv. We have elections, every two years and every four years.

An no, it's not a stupid point of view. But it's pure stupidity to give your type of response. It is important at a time like this that we support the troops and stay together as a country. I must love my country more than you love yours. I guess that's why several million people are trying to get here every year from other countries right? Personally, I think it would be interesting to close the borders, yank all the bases out of Europe and the rest of the world and just take care of ourselves, and let the rest of the world alone. Ohhhh that's right, we tried that before WWI and WWII. Too many bullies in Europe and Asia.

Sorry to everyone else for getting off topic.

11. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    I don't know what studid means, but I will say Yes, Exactly!

BTW: By "the ones who have not changed" I mean terrorists.

And your english is very good.

12. John_Cope

Oct 13, 2003
    Uhhhhh excuse me, I did my part to overthrow my govt. I voted. But since the majority of Americans didn't share my point of view, I have no other choice. It works the same in Law Enforcment - I may not like some of the laws I enforce but I have to do it. And it looks like we are one of only a few countries still left on the planet that hasn't completely imploded due to our Govt. That says alot about our govt and country which is still a huge Super Power. We haven't seperated into several little countries. We hold our govt high because we are not inconstant with our leaders. We don't change them every other week because we don't like what they wear or how their hair looks on tv. We have elections, every two years and every four years.
    So have we, and? That was a really moronic answer, I'm sorry. You should get off your emotions.

no, it's not a stupid point of view. But it's pure stupidity to give your type of response. It is important at a time like this that we support the troops and stay together as a country. I must love my country more than you love yours. I guess that's why several million people are trying to get here every year from other countries right? Personally, I think it would be interesting to close the borders, yank all the bases out of Europe and the rest of the world and just take care of ourselves, and let the rest of the world alone. Ohhhh that's right, we tried that before WWI and WWII. Too many bullies in Europe and Asia.
    I guess you don't share the view that in modern politics you have to arrange yourself with other nations to stay healthy? Anyway, I have nothing against the US, in fact, I live almost the life of an average american. You can bitch all you want, in the next decades, the world will become a closer society, even if you don't like it.

13. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Well, I will put my countires Govt Record against your countries Govt. record any day of the week. Even with the dropping of 2 "bombs" we didn't kill 6 million.

Look, I am a Liberal Democrat, and you can ask anyone in this Senate and they will tell you I am. I didn't want Bush again, but he is there, and I support my troops. I have military background and come from a long line of military family. I just find it hard to take criticism about my Govt and country from a country or countries who have had Dictators in the past that have done such attrocities to Europe it's sickening. I have nothing against Germany, but don't preach to me about military actions, Govt and political unity.

14. John_Cope

Oct 13, 2003
    I just find it hard to take criticism about my Govt and country from a country or countries who have had Dictators in the past that have done such attrocities to Europe it's sickening. I have nothing against Germany, but don't preach to me about military actions, Govt and political unity.
    Then you have nothing learned from the past 50 years.
    I allege you should study our history in the last 40-50 years and you should discover that Germany is one of your fellow friends when it comes to critical situations, apart from many of the other countries.

15. Hades2021

May 29, 2003
    *back on topic*

I think the marine was acting out of self defense. Other people think that he should have waited until he saw a gun/explosive/whatever. I think that critical time of waiting is a difference between life and death.

16. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Many bad guys carry machine guns under their trenchcoats.

Does that mean we should shoot everyone wearing a trenchcoat?

17. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Many bad guys carry machine guns under their trenchcoat.

You've been watching too many movies. (And before you say Columbine, that was two bad guys, not many.)

18. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    I know that is not true. I was trying to say that given if it was true, say like back in the 1920's during Prohibition and gangsters.

19. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I think the marine was acting out of self defense. Other people think that he should have waited until he saw a gun/explosive/whatever. I think that critical time of waiting is a difference between life and death.

Yeah but when the so called "enemy" does soemting like that to an American soldier there's a huge cry by the American's that the "enemy" are mudering POW's etc...an amry full of hypocrits.

20. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Does that mean we should shoot everyone wearing a trenchcoat?

If it is happening in a time of war...yes.

If people in trech coats are shooting a you from a building, then you go into that building and a guy in a trech coat is staring you down...for God's sake shoot him!!!

Shadow said...Yeah but when the so called "enemy" does soemting like that to an American soldier there's a huge cry by the American's that the "enemy" are mudering POW's etc...an amry full of hypocrits.

To which I say...I remember when 3 or 4 troops were set afire then shot and dismembered and hung on a bridge. Yup, we complained, mainly 'cause it wasn't considered a US tactic to pretend to be on fire so we could kill a bunch of Iraqis.

If a terrorist can be shot hiding in a bush to ambush us, how is that different than playing dead to ambush us?

21. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    If a terrorist can be shot hiding in a bush to ambush us, how is that different than playing dead to ambush us?

Correct me if i'm wrong here...but what the **** did I say about shooting people that are hiding?

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    To which I say...I remember when 3 or 4 troops were set afire then shot and dismembered and hung on a bridge. Yup, we complained, mainly 'cause it wasn't considered a US tactic to pretend to be on fire so we could kill a bunch of Iraqis.

They were contractors, not soldiers (although I believe all of them were veterans).

Kimball Kinnison

23. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Correct me if i'm wrong here...but what the **** did I say about shooting people that are hiding?

I didn't say you said anything about hiding, slick.

I was compairing it to hiding. Care to answer the question now?

24. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    As far as the tape shows, the Marine is exonerated. And if the Marine was right and the guy was playing dead or wounded, that's a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Of course, you dont' hear Europe getting on the terrorists case for violations. Hell, if modern Europe had their way, FDR would be indicted for imprisoning Japenese, and Hitler would be let off the hook, just to show the world that America isn't "above the law".

For the most part our troops engage in extremely restarined and honorable behavior against a ruthless enemy who doesn't fight by any set of standards. I say we cut 'em some slack, especially considering they have to make split second decisions.

If a guy looks hostile, and let's say a soldier has a split second to react. It doesn't matter if the guy would prove himself innocent in TWO split seconds, because soldiers in the field dont' have time for that. We can p;lay armchair general all we want, but anti-war activists are making mountains out of molehills. Abu Ghraib. THAT was a big deal, but again, not widespread. This? Forget it. I bet you his company bought him drinks that night for possibly saving their skins.

25. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Maybe the UN should come up with a different standard for fighting unsanctioned terrorists organizations.

Maybe the world should only hold us as accountable for our treatment of terrorists as they holds the terrorists accountable for their treatment of us.

After all, the world isn't upset about the terrorists boobytrapping bodies and playing dead to ambush us. So that makes playing by the rules and treating them as soldiers of a state suicide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.