main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marines urinating on the corpses of Taliban

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 12, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    HERE

[image=http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02106/Marines_urinating__2106722c.jpg]

2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah, that's pretty hot, but i have some stuff on my hd that's way better than that.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not honorable to urinate on the men you just shot to death.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    At least they waited until they were dead.

British army did that to a crowd in India before they were booted out.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or any dead person for that matter. I hope the video's fake, because it's pretty appalling.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, I don't think it's more appalling than the war itself or treatment of living Taliban prisoners or a number of other things. Sure, it's a PR nightmare especially with regards to the Muslim community. But these are men whose job it is to disregard the sanctity of the lives of the opposing combatants-- except when they put their hands up, and even then it's kind of iffy. It's not really much of a stretch for them to treat lifeless corpses, which are practically inanimate objects, with the same sort of "respect."

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Unless some major shocker occurs that I am unaware of the video is legit.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Seems like the ultimate act of disrespect to me. You're right that there are a lot of problems with the treatment of detained enemy combatants, but I don't think the fact of conflict means that this sort of thing is expected. It isn't. I'm told that soldiers don't think about high-minded stuff when they're in the heat of combat and instinct takes over, which is unfortunate, but even to the extent that's true, there are standards and there's especially no excuse when you're outside immediate danger.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    They're dead. They don't care. Now, if they were alive, that would be a different story. But dead is dead. It doesn't matter what happens to your corpse after you perish.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I was being sarcastic, timmo, as I made clear in my subsequent post.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, and tell that to the judge when you're prosecuted for war crimes.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    In order for there to be a crime, there has to be a victim. Who are the victims in this case? I don't hear them complaining about anything.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So what if they had raped the corpses? To extreme? Draw a line on behavior to wartime corpses.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    timmo: Ah, I see, so murder's fine because the dead can't complain? I'm glad you're not in charge of anything. You are aware that the victims don't actually sue the criminals in criminal trials, right?

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    In the grand scheme of things...this really isn't a story. Pissing on a corpse, while insulting, isn't exactly an atrocity.

16. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Yes it is, we should hold ourselves to higher standards than that. Bury them, according to local customs if possible.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think everyone in the world are kind, selfless people. We should all be taking turns pushing each other on swings and eating ice cream together. I am actually baffled that a war somehow accidentally started. I can't wait for this shocking disagreement to be over. One conflict in the history of mankind will have been more than enough for my taste, thank you very much.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not only should, but must. It's the law: see, e.g., the First, Third, and Fourth Geneva Conventions, the NATO Standardization Agreement 2070, customary international law, and the U.S. Field Manual.

Yes, it is. It's a war crime.

19. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Quoted. for. truth.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Respect for dead bodies is one of the oldest virtues in humanity. Read the Illiad, or Antigone. The act is morally deplorable, illegal, and is already threatening to make things much worse for us in Afghanistan.

21. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I'll keep that in mind next time I scream about how great martyring myself for a god that may or may not exist is and then open fire at at a professional military. [face_salute]

22. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'm failing to see how this is a contentious issue. Does the US military not have a standard to which it must hold itself to? How can you possibly take the moral high ground if you don't condemn this completely and utterly?

23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I would happen to think this is against the Geneva Conventions.....

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    QMAOFT.

Any time a person anywhere in the universe wrongs another person that I can claim some tenuous affiliation with, I have free license to lash out in any way I see fit against those I correctly or incorrectly associate with said original offender.

Which is why it's a good thing no one ever did anything unjustifiable and wrong to any Muslim in history, lest the sort of logic you endorsed actually justify the event you are trying to condemn.

Oh, wait.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So I suppose you wouldn't mind us flaming you and breaking the TOS the next time you're banned because, after all, you did something ban worthy to begin with so we shouldn't bother with the rules anymore either?

It isn't contentious, at least as far as the United States is concerned. The U.S. Marine Corps. has already released a statement that while they don't have confirmation that the video is legit, they find the behavior deplorable and unacceptable and that if legit, actions will be taken.

edit: Better to just quote the article: A spokesman for the Marine Corps said: "While we have not yet verified the origin or authenticity of this video, the actions portrayed are not consistent with our core values and are not indicative of the character of the Marines in our Corps.