main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marines urinating on the corpses of Taliban

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I like the swings and ice cream idea.

If only we could abolish religion... People would have to come up with another excuse to behave crappily to one another.

2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Bad example, as the JC has been going downhill for years now, so I really wouldn't expect anything else. :*

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So has Afghanistan.

4. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    so I really wouldn't expect anything else :*

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, it does seem that Marines and the State Department have confirmed the video is legit.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    And how does the issue of what we "expect" at all relate to whether something is wrong or not? Any sort of behavior is okay as long as you expected it to happen?

7. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    I never said it wasn't wrong (my exact word was "insulting"). I said it was not news-worthy.

Now if they had been scalping them, boiling skulls, and wearing braided taliban beards like some kind of Boba-Fett-meets-Ed-Gein attempt at badassery, that would be a different story.

8. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Thank God!! Now my moar and 'This Is Sparta' versions work.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Later in my life when I think back on war time "atrocities" I'm going to think of the Haditha killings or the My Lai massacre, not this.

10. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    Just to be clear, you're cool with me showing up at one of your loved ones funeral and performing a golden shower then? I mean, if it doesn't matter.....

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'd be more concerned if that loved one had been killed fighting a foreign occupation force, personally. :p

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You can imagine marines invading a farm and raping the farmer's daughters. That's an atrocity. This is more like marines breaking into some farm and raping the farmer's goats. It's repugnant and we wish it hadn't happened and we hope everyone involved is harshly reprimanded, but it's not really one for the history books.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It's disgusting on several levels.

The most appalling part might be how stupid it is. Way to hurt the mission and risk more lives. Go team.

14. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    but isn't urine halal

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If you're referring to the fact that they video taped it I agree. There's no doubt in my mind that acts like this have happened during every major armed conflict in all of Earth's history but recording and drawing attention to it is beyond stupid.

16. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Videotaping is pretty damned stupid. The Taliban would do the same to their enemies, but wouldn't put it on the net.

I'm with the 'they're dead' section...

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Color me surprised.

18. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    This sort of thing makes me really proud of the life choices I've made. Semper fidelis.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The difference being, the goats are alive.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They're war criminals. Not the worst war criminals ever, but still war criminals, just like defacing the corpse of your mom in peace time isn't as bad as raping and murdering your tetraplegic sister. They still need to face the legal consequences. How's that any hard to understand?

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm actually with the "they're dead and it doesn't matter what you do to a dead body" camp, but frankly, this is an international accord we agreed to, and considering the Geneva treaties can and have helped our troops in the past, it's rather self-serving to think we're exempt. They need to be punished accordingly, and, frankly, since it takes a special kind of ******* to piss on a human being, alive or dead, I'm not sure we'll be worse for the wear.

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The dead may not mind, the point is to show consideration for the families of the dead. When you photograph something like this it's a psychological warfare tactic.

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd agree with that if it were a professional video produced by the army with an intent to distribute it to the enemy. Is that the case here?

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Just because our enemy might behave that way towards us, it does not mean we should behave that way towards them. If we claim to be fighting them for a justified reason then we have to show we are the morally superior, behaving like those you condemn is hardly appropriate.

I mean, are we trying to provoke more hate? Surely we want to avoid war as much as possible and have the Middle East see us in a bette light.

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Maybe some Iraqis will see this and think "Hey, maybe these Americans' hatred of us is justified and we should change our ways to avoid other soldiers taking their anger out on us."