main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marines urinating on the corpses of Taliban

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Those crazy Taliban from the Iraq.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    lol

3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    You know the real tragedy with all of these incidents including abu gharib isn't the fact they do it but they record it and take pictures. It shows you what their psyche has gone thru from war when they have no qualms about shooting people and other atrocities. They are at war for so long and trained to hate the enemy such that they demean anyone that looks like them. And their recording is simply an act of showing to themselves and the world they don't care about anyone and they are entrenched. They know what they are doing is wrong and don't care. Its the same as a gang beating innocent people or some prep kids going around destroying property and recording it. They don't care and more importantly this is there largest act of defiance to show everyone that they do not care.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This still seems a lot different to me than Abu Ghraib. The problem with Abu Ghraib is that the pictures suggested something fundamentally awful about American policy in our occupation of Iraq.

As unpleasant as the pissing pictures are, it seems a lot more like the kind of things that unsupervised frat boys do at a party. In this case substitute the word "war" for "party" and substitute "the adrenaline and psychological stresses associated with having to kill people for a living" for "beer keg".

This is why army leadership isn't structured from the bottom up, as an anarcho-syndicalist commune where soldiers take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, I do think it is a positive thing that the Corps have come out and said that this goes against what the Marines stand for. While it is horrible to see members of our own armed services (which ever country you are from) doing this kind of thing, it is important to note that these are not officially sanctioned activities and to keep the situation in perspective. Just because there are a few bad apples doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the whole establishment, just that they need to keep a better eye on what their underlings are doing.

6. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Well..

Let's all have a drink on me and forget all about this?

What?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, it's the U.S. contention that the Geneva Conventions don't apply in Afghanistan because it's not an international armed conflict (i.e. a conflict between two states). So the Geneva Conventions don't apply on their own force, esp. since the additional protocol ii which applied some of its standards to non-international armed conflicts don't contain burial provisions (we have not ratified that treaty anyway) but they are indicative of binding customary law. Other legal obligation comes from NATO regulations and from U.S. law itself, which contains the same provisions.

8. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Sure. It's like being part of a message board community and having one poster--we'll call him weasel--constantly posting horrific, disturbing, and despicable things.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  10. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Ah, there he is...

In fact, let me just sum up how this entire thread is going to go.

11. Pete_Seyk

Pete_Seyk Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2004
    You can't train these soldiers to basically be killing machines and not expect that they will have little respect for their enemies.

These soldiers should be reprimanded by their superiors, not a judge. It's war, in no way do I condone the behavior but I see where it stems.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Your "this sounds like frat boys" defense sounds like the defense of the US torture policies that many people had to endure worse during rush week in college, and that listening to Christina Aguilera can't really be that bad. Besides such specious comparisons, it's also quite easy to minimize the wrongness of offenses that are primarily psychological instead of physical, probably for the same reason that our society gives disproportionately greater regard to physical than mental illness.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Aside from the laws over the matter I just don't understand the why and what of how someone comes up with the idea to not only piss on who they just killed but to go ahead and film it too.

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Frat boys do illegal things at frat parties while under the influence or not, like commit date rape. And they should be prosecuted for it. I'm just trying to get recognition of the difference between committing date rape at a party and peeing off the second floor balcony onto passersby below. Vulgar, uncouth behavior, all the way round, and I don't necessarily mind if someone insists on calling both "atrocities" as long as then there's a careful discussion of the distinction between an atrocity like date rape and an atrocity like peeing off the balcony onto passersby below.

15. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    They were programmed into doing this horrible behavior.

16. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i love how you're comparing getting banned for a couple days on a star wars fan forum, to belonging to a group that is responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent victims. do you really feel sorry for these sadistic murderer's. how is it murder to kill somone that is trying to kill you?

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Do you not get the point of comparisons?

And we're not talking about killing them, we're talking about desecration, a war crime. But I guess it's ok to lose your humanity if others do too.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Just to stir the pot and add a thought:

"What a world we live in, a world in which it's perfectly acceptable to shoot your enemy in the brain so long as you don't take a picture of his exploded head afterward. (...) War is an awful thing that irrevocably changes and destroys people, and it yields horrific, destructive behavior. If you'd like to live in a world in which soldiers don't pee on their dead enemies, then it's your duty to fight for a world in which soldiers aren't killing people in the first place."

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Bull. It's been in the field manual for over half a century. There's a reason the Corps have sharply criticized this behavior. What's next, soldiers can't restrict themselves from killing innocents 'cause they are trained to kill?

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    For all the people saying "no big deal" over US soldiers urinating on dead Taliban... I wonder how they would react if it was the Taliban urinating on dead Americans and posting it all over the Internet?

If that ever does happen, our condemnation of that would ring hollow if we didn't condemn our own soldiers for doing the same thing earlier, it would look empty and hypocritical. It's better to just treat others how you would like to be treated.

You can go to war with an enemy and still respect them enough that you recognize their humanity and treat them with some basic decency, in life as well as in death. If we don't, are we really that much better than them? If the US military is to be honored, then it should act honorably. These soldiers are a small minority, but they have jeopardized our objectives in Afghanistan, and have again damaged our military's and our country's reputation.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not about their humanity. Who cares about that? It's about our own humanity and holding ourselves to a higher standard. The corpses could've been the worst people and it still would've been a foul deed.

22. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Really, what a waste...

Here they are: They've gone to all the trouble to hunt and kill these Taliban... And they don't even cook the meat. Not only do they not cook them, but the make it so no one else will cook them. That's just disgraceful: A complete waste of effort. What was the point of hunting if you weren't going to eat the animals they killed?

Sorry, had a long disagreement with a "Great Suburban Hunter" about how it is OK for him to go out and kill deer, because he uses the animals for meat.

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    So tell me, would it be better if those Taliban were still alive when the marines peed on them? Laws are for the living, not for the dead.

24. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yes, because then they could be washed off, and then killed and eaten.
    Or, if you want a challenging hunt, give them back their bayonets so they can castrate/geld the marines trying to urinate on them.

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, the clear objection here is that the marines waited until they were dead before peeing, and not, say, the fact that they peed on people.