main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marjorie Eaton - The Original Emperor

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SlashMan, Sep 8, 2015.

1. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Does anyone know of any artwork which shows this version of the Emperor more clearly and not in holographic form?

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I don't think any photographs exist other than what our friends just unearthed. But perhaps there is some artwork somewhere that depicts the Emperor in TESB. We've seen some for ROTJ, but perhaps a making of book about TESB shows Vader bowing before the Emperor. It would be interesting.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When you first saw ESB, were you surprised that Vader has a master?

SlashMan likes this.
  4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I know I was! This huge, spectral figure with the weird face and eyes telling Vader what to do was quite a surprise. Of course I knew there was an Emperor; he was referred to in ANH and is described in the opening passages of the first film's novelization, which I read in 1979. But no one could have guessed he was a creepy Force-user with yellow eyes! And that deep voice... creepy as all hell for an 11-year-old kid who was still afraid of the idea of demons.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Presumably acting as a stand-in for preliminary makeup tests. Majel Barrett did the same for Susan Oliver's character in the first Star Trek pilot.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  7. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    There are some Ralph McQuarrie sketches for the Emperor's hologram n ESB.
    EDIT: darklordoftech beat me to it. :)

8. PEW PEW

PEW PEW Jedi Knight

Dec 23, 2015
    Interesting to read this. A woman with prosthetics and monkey eyes is an odd choice though. As a kid I noticed the difference between ESB Emperor and ROTJ Emperor but the differences weren't big enough to bother me. I was more concerned with how different Luke looked from ANH to ESB!

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Heheh, I'm not anti-prequel, just anti-palpatine. :p

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The original Emperor was creepy and scared me as a kid. Ian's version is just fine too. A logical alteration.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if they should have simply touched up Eaton to look like McDiarmid.

12. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    What I don't understand is why Elaine Baker was even linked to the role?

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    She did makeup tests.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    So cute! What was his name? We need him credited in TESB credits! He's a part of SW history!

15. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001

For the most part, but when he says "it seems in your anger, you killed her", it looks like it's 1983.

SateleNovelist11 and ATMachine like this.
  16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Ian McDiarmid looks more like Ian McDiarmid than Marjorie Eaton does. At every single moment in every single scene. Full stop.

I feel like I've landed on Bizarro World.

Jedi Princess and Iron_lord like this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Yeah. I appreciated the angles and lightning toward the end of ROTS. It meshes with the beginning of ROTJ. Sidious is incredibly nasty.

18. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i remember staring at the Emperor's hologram for what feels like (and might actually literally add up to) hours as a kid, trying to figure out just what it was i was seeing. quite possibly just because it's so ingrained in my mind i still prefer it to the Darth Sidious substitution.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  19. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Palpatine in Sith looks closest to his portrayal in Jedi when he is wearing black robes that keep most of his face in the dark (from the moment he arrives in Mustafar until the end). The other robes he uses show more of his face than ever, which is slightly different and more bloated than in Jedi (we also see many more close-up shots), and that's why it feels a bit different.

ATMachine likes this.
  20. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    The original 1980 Emperor was pure awesome. She just gave you the chills, as an evil Emperor should. Ian didn't look that different in ROTJ. It wasn't a big deal, the original Emperor should have remained.

Clive Revill's delivery was so perfect. You feel the mystical evil right off the bat. It's beautiful.

MeBeJedi, Heroic BB-8 and ATMachine like this.
  21. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    The actual dialogue is better. More ambiguous. Once again, changes made that damage the feel of the original film.

Totally agree about his delivery is perfect of the lines. Very creepy. Wonder what Kersh would have made of George messing with his film?

Heroic BB-8 and ATMachine like this.
  22. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Who was the actor that was originally set to play the emperor in ROTJ before Ian Mcdiarmid?

I cannot find any information on this, whatsoever. I heard he even started filming but his eyes couldn't take the yellow contact lens' so he dropped out. :confused:

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it true that McDiarmid tried to make his voice match Revill's?

24. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    whoever he was i'm glad he was such an eyeball wuss. McDiarmid was wonderful.

Seagoat likes this.
  25. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    It was Alan Webb, an elderly actor (vs. Ian McDiarmid, then in his mid-30s). Webb actually dropped out because he became ill during the harsh British winter of 1981-2, and died a few months later, while shooting on ROTJ was still going on.