main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marjorie Eaton - The Original Emperor

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SlashMan, Sep 8, 2015.

1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    ATMachine is right. We have another lost Emperor from the trilogy.
    [​IMG]
    Here's Webb in the Great Train Robbery from 1978. Already well into his 70s, I assume his makeup would have been similar to Eaton's with a large prosthetic piece covering the forehead and eyes.

Not sure of the logic behind the re-casting, but Ian McDiarmid turned out to be perfect. I guess it was like with Sebastian Shaw; age seems to be one of the last things taken into consideration when casting a character. That being said, the impressive makeup transformation was the last step to bringing the character to life.

2. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Speaking of early Emperor makeups: I realized recently that the facial prosthetics used for Orrimaarko (Prune Face) in the Rebel briefing room in ROTJ might have been originally meant as a test makeup of sorts for Palpatine:

[​IMG]

When this makeup was rejected in favor of the final facial appliance use for Palpatine, it's likely that rather than throw away this early effort, the makeup team repurposed it as a Rebel alien. Just add an orange skin tint and an eyepatch to disguise the facial features, and hey presto!

3. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    that's tragic :/
    now i feel bad for making fun of his eyeballs.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  4. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Man, I can totally see that. It's even more similar to the ESB makeup with the bulging yellow eyes. I think this totally warrants further investigation.

Also of note, here's a poster for Empire painted by the late Noriyoshi Ohrai, interesting that it's the only ESB-era promotional work that shows the original Emperor. Fabulous stuff.
    [​IMG]

darklordoftech and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think they were trying to keep the Emperor a mystery and a surprise for first-time viewers of ESB and ROTJ. Once ROTJ was out of theaters, the ROTJ Emperor became a frequent sight in promotional material.

DavidSword79 and SlashMan like this.
  6. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    That's true. Ohrai's Return of the Jedi poster featured an unmasked Vader front and center, which definitely wouldn't have gone down in the US.

darklordoftech and ATMachine like this.
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm curiois as to whether Clive Revill's monotone, emotionless voice was non-acting or deliberate creepiness.

8. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I think it was deliberate. You can see the actor in other roles and he is not typically monotone or emotionless.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Probably deliberate, but I don't think he gave it too much thought to the character.... He was probably brought to the studio one morning, given the lines, a few instructions... and left about an hour later.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    He said in an interview, "I read the lines multiple times, each with different emotions. It sounded best when I read it without any emotions."

11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    So you already had the answer to your question? :p
    Anyway, no more than an hour to record four lines multiple times.
    (J.E. Jones recorded his lines as Vader for ANH in a morning)

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "sounded best" doesn't mean "intentional creepiness". There's many reasons for which they could have decided that it was the "best" reading

13. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    I wonder who exactly decided it "sounded best" to use the least emotional takes of Revill's dialogue. Revill himself, Kersh, or Lucas?

14. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I'm another who is okay with the visual change but prefers strongly the original scripting.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  16. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
  17. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    OG Emperor was quite silly looking, that change was necessary. Ian McDiarmid is just legendary in that role!

18. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    redlightning asked

Does anyone know of any artwork which shows this version of the Emperor more clearly and not in holographic form?

[​IMG]

(^ featured in the Star Wars Chronicles)

[​IMG]

Originally, when the Emperor turned out to look different in ROJ than in ESB, it merely seemed to emphasize Kenobi's statement from the ANH novelization where he talked about the "corrupt emperors" (i.e. more than one).

But what this thread has also revealed, IMHO, is that back in 1979 there were apparently no serious plans for the Emperor to return in 1983. To me that's hardly surprising because, IIRC, Gary Kurtz had communicated that the Emperor's first appearance in the flesh was originally scheduled for Episode IX. ;)

whostheBossk and Master_Lok like this.
  19. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Supercalifragilisticexpiialidarkside! If you get just mad enough it might just win you over

Supericalifragilisticexpialidarkside give in to your anger and you'll reach your full potential

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Nice find! I wonder if Cio-Cio is the actual name of the chimp.

Anyways, I'm glad this "mystery" has finally been closed. I see it's since been corrected on Wookiepedia. Looks like this very thread was used as evidence in the discussion:
    https://www.ottoradio.com/podcast/i-was-there-too/the-empire-strikes-back-with-clive-revill-54

Again, all thanks to Don Bies for actually bringing this information to light.

21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Just revisiting this thread as it's Rick Baker's b-day today and he recently posted on Instagram that the 1980 prosthetics for Majorie's Emperor were sculpted by Phil Tippet. Here's an image of Rick applying the make up.

And, yes, I still prefer the original 1980 ESB Emperor to anything after. :p

Thanks for all the information everyone!

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  22. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Honestly, I can't believe I posted my last post in this thread, I'm embarrased.

About the Emperor, I think Revill's lack of emotion added to the mystery of Palpatine necessary for such an early appearance. It is interesting to imagine him reprising the role in the next film and the prequels, but McDiarmid was the perfect choice (I'm surprised he isn't in very much else). Now that we've seen McDiarmid's version and know all there is to be revealed in the films, I think McDiarmid in TESB was the right thing to do, with the original version still available (the one I usually watch)

Iron_lord and whostheBossk like this.
  23. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    McDiarmid's first film role since ROTS was last year's very good The Lost City of Z, where true to form, he played a aristocratic promoter of the empire and its values in a film that was fairly critical of imperialism.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I know he's a stage actor first and foremost, but I wish Ian would be in more films.

25. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I saw Ian play the lead role in Berthold Brecht's Galileo in Stratford Upon Avon a few years ago - he was very good. At one point Galileo talks about the dark side of the moon - Ian said 'Dark Side' in the Emperor's voice, clearly as a little shout out to any Star Wars fans in attendance. Thought that was great.

I like both his and the Eaton/Revill Emperor. Watching the Revill performance on youtube, it's clear that his delivery and intonation had a large influence on Ian's RotJ version of the role, which goes to show how good the initial work on the character was. Imagine how different the Saga would have been had that one minor role been done differently! Totally different character, history, backstory potentially.

BlackRanger and whostheBossk like this.