main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marjorie M. Liu - my introduction to paranormal romance

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Mastadge, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've noticed, over the past few years, a dramatic spike in the subgenre dominated by the likes of Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Charlaine Harris, Carrie Vaughn, etc -- escapist fiction set here and now, except that in these fictional worlds monsters -- usually very sexy monsters -- live among us, whether we know it or not. Little did I know that the same exact thing was going on directly on the other side of the barrier between the SFF section and the Romance section: yes, there's a whole "paranormal romance" subgenre over there that's pretty much exactly the same thing, except directed at a different readership.

I've read very little of it. I'll admit that. The quality of writing in this particular subgenre often ranks somewhere alongside or even below Star Wars novels, so while they might be fun and amusing, I'd often rather get my pure escapism elsewhere. However, one new writer who's come to my attention is Marjorie M. Liu. You'll find her books over in the romance section, but suck it up, walk over, and check them out -- they're pretty good. Not only is she cute enough to be a character in one of her own novels, she's a fine writer as well. Certainly far better than I'd expected.

But in addition to her own series of paranormal romances, she's also written an X-Men novel -- as it turns out, she's a huge comic book fangirl. w00t. So. Lucasbooks, if you're listening: get her to write an Old Republic novel, please. :)

Her Dirk & Steele novels:
    1. Tiger Eye (03/2005)
    2. Shadow Touch (02/2006)
    3. The Red Heart of Jade (07/2006)
    4. Book 4 (12/2006)

She's also written A Taste of Crimson (08/2005), the second book in the Crimson City series, and X-Men: Dark Mirror (12/2005).

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I haven't heard of her but all this time I thought the YJCC was your introduction to paranormal romance. ;)

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    It was a funny. Or supposed to be. [face_worried]

In any event, the topic sounds very interesting. I'll have to look her up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.