main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly Guy

Fly Guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2013
    I always felt Hamill's performance in the OT was underrated and that he did an excellent job.

However, he's done very little meaningful acting in the past thirty years.

That's a looong time ago on a set far, far away.

So, one has to wonder; does Hamill still have it?

Or, have his acting skills eroded to the nth degree?

2. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Two words: The. Joker.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't quite buy the logic that since someone has done acting work that hasn't been seen by a larger audience that means their acting skills have atrophied.

You know how much acting Hamill has done since 1983? It's a hellova lot.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    He's done a ton of voice work, which is still acting, you just have to do it all with your voice. But if you watch most voice actors when they are recording, they still make the faces they would if they were acting on screen because it comes out better in your voice. So, do I think he can still act? Absolutely!
    If anything he probably is better than he was.

5. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I don't know how much weight you want to put behind it, but he did pretty good in an episode of Criminal Minds a few years ago. I for one think he'll do just fine.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Oh this thread's opening post is the worst joke I've seen all day. Let me further express my opinion of it with this video.

7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
  8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Mark works all the time. His acting will not be an issue. The only thing close to an issue will be his conditioning, and I'm sure that will be fine too. It'll undoubtedly do him some good to get in better shape as he is getting older.

9. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    "Can he still act?"

Does a Gungan have floppy ears?

10. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Can't believe this is even a question [face_whistling]

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Check out Sushi Girl and let me know if you still have any concerns.

Gemma, markdeez33, Rawne and 3 others like this.
  12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He'll do just great, I'm sure of it.

Collin Tongue likes this.
  13. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Alot of acting is in the voice and facial mannerisms. Excellent example in the PT: Chrisopher Lee.
    One thing we know about Hamill is that his voice work over recent years has been excellent. Therefore, I believe he will do a very good job.
    Lets hope the script gives him the material to act with.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The guy has been acting for decades, why would he fail now?

Tbh he wasn't exactly great to begin with so it doesn't matter :p

Collin Tongue and Episode Swag like this.
  15. Taalon

Taalon Jedi Knight

Sep 4, 2012
    I think he will be fantastic. Doesn't hurt that he's built up amazing good with fans by just being himself. He's an awesome guy who loves what he does and I sincerely hope he's back.

Collin Tongue, VMeran, Six and 8 others like this.
  16. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    One of the charms of Star Wars is that it seems like the actors have to be more about playing make believe than actually emoting or giving Oscar worthy performances. Don't get me wrong, there are some great actors that sell their parts (McDiarmid and Ford jump to mind right away) but at the end of the day I still believe the story, visuals, and music carry a Star Wars movie more than anything. Plus like others have said Hamill nails voice roles constantly and I have to imagine that is harder than reciting dialogue about womprats ans such.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  18. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I'm more worried about Ford, and he's been in a gillion successful movies since ROTJ. His latest efforts as an actor have not been on par with his previous work IMO. He comes off as a tired, grumpy old man that doesn't want to be there but keeps at it for unexplained reasons. In the last films he's done since Crystal Skull, he comes off older than he looks. He looks great for his age, but his attitude and presence feel like there's no energy in his performance anymore. He doesn't straight out SUCK, but I can't help but feel something's lost.

Mark Hamill is and has always been full of energy. Lately he's been on the chubby side of the force but still his enthusiasm and charisma is intact. He's even become a really funny guy, great sense of humor given his role in popular culture. It's not an easy spot to be on, yet he comes off as one of the coolest, most confident guys ever. Now that filming was delayed and he's supposed to be working out and losing weight, I bet we are going to have a kick ass mentor like Luke Skywalker. I have a lot of faith in Hamill.

Carrie Fisher, I haven't kept up with her that much. She just feels like a completely different person. Like a crazy lady like some of my mom's friends back in the day. I can see her chitchatting her way through anything, being extremely funny and everything but blasting her way through **** like she did on the Death Star, of course not. The possibility that she's a jedi now freaks me out a bit. Still, she's not a bad actress at all, I think her character could be pulled off through wise direction and considering who Carrie Fisher is right now, not who Leia was. I would love to be proven wrong, of course.

19. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    Could he ever??:p
    He'll be fine:cool:

20. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Not worried about Ford at all or Hamill.

Fisher, on the other hand, yes I agree. Her battles with booze and drugs over the years has made her sound and look very different. Age doesn't help but abusing yourself didn't either.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Looks like a good thread to drop a reminder into about taking it easy on the "old and fat" jokes / criticisms.

22. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    I don't know he was going to be in it I hope he does a good job

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I hope those were both said in jest because he did the best job in the saga and is a really good actor. Watch any of his movies, you'll believe he IS the character he is portraying.

Unlike Harrison who only plays Harrison. ;)

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Hamill comes across as a very earnest actor and regardless of how prominant his role is, I'm pretty sure he'll be the embodiment of an older Luke Skywalker (assuming that the script is ok).

T-R- likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Assuming he's back (please-please-please [face_praying]) I am sure he will do great. And I am sure Ford and Fisher will, too.

Gemma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.