main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I feel like some of this speculation is superfluous. Abrams would never make Luke Skywalker into a darksider. I'm sure he doesn't want to be called "the guy who ruined my childhood" for the rest of his life.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It was literally just an idea as for the only way I personally could see any kind of dark side Luke working. There are so many reasons against him turning, not the least of which is that he already faced down that temptation in ROTJ. I'm also not that down with the notion of him having to kill innocents either, but if there was some kind of amazing execution and it was an impossible dilemma, you can't say 100% certain it wouldn't work - you can say you hate the sound of it obviously, but I think for all this kind of speculation, it's too easy to categorically say something can't work when actually, we wouldn't know until we saw the finished film and saw how it played out in the proper context as the film-makers intended. I'm playing devil's advocate on counts here - I very much doubt we will see Darth Luke at all.

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
  4. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    @ Dra---

I wasn't agreeing with you. Please accept my smiley face as compensation for our misunderstanding. :)

"The complex aspect would be that Luke would perhaps go to the darkside because innocents would have to be killed for a greater good, or for the sake of Luke's friends.

It would be a kind of grey ethical area because many fans would understand the action and agree that it was justified. Others wouldn't."

When dealing with emotions, I try to focus on the motive rather than the actions. Killing people isn't bad, in and of itself. It's WHY they're killed, and what's in a person's heart when they're killing. This is why Yoda and Ben had no problem with Luke killing both Vader and the Emperor. The problem would be if he did it out of fear, anger and hate rather than a noble duty to justice.

This is why I have such a big problem with Obi-Wan killing Maul. Nobody checks with him later on to make sure his heart was in the right place. He had just seen his master murdered before his eyes. Clearly his pain and rage fueled his fighting - his actions. Then Maul gets taken out, no questions asked.

Dooku took Anakin's arm. Anakin later beheaded Dooku. And no questions asked. ;P

Although killing children could easily be seen as a grey area with fans, I think that if Luke truly acted from a good and noble place in his heart, he wouldn't go to the dark side for sacrificing them for the greater good.

However, if he did it for his friends, one could make the argument that he was motivated by attachment, fear and selfishness! [face_skull]

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Luke turning to the darkside, anyway you try to justify it, is a terrible idea. His character arc should take a step forward, not 2 steps back. And him using the darkside to save his friends just goes against what Kenobi & Yoda warned him of in TESB.

Should they be sacrificed?
    "If you honor what they fight for... yes"
    Luke's a wise old man now... not a hard headed teenager. If anything, he'll sacrifice himself to save the day or just to buy his friends time to escape... like Kenobi.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Saying it is a bad or good idea is nice, but the rumors suggest that Luke saves the day in a not-so-good way. Either that is completely bunk or things are not all hunky dory with Luke. It doesn't mean he turned to the dark side at all, but rather uses methods not orthodox for the Jedi suggesting that under Luke, the Jedi ways have changed. Be it through aggression, first strikes, or using dark side powers to achieve peace, if the rumors hold true, Luke isn't so saintly, at least not in the beginning.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Question: Isnt the thread title relating to "Mark Hamil in Episode VII"? I understand Mark plays Luke, but I would think this thread should be relating directly to Mark's participation in this movie and not solely about Luke's possible storylines.

8. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    How would somebody other than the inner circle know that? They don't give scripts to just anybody & a climactic scene like that would be the holy grail of closed sets. And if the rumor is true about multiple scripts... then there is that.

Besides, saving the day in a bad way doesn't mean darkside. Him sacrificing himself would be bad to me, even for the greater good. I don't want to see him as a force ghost for ⅔ of the trilogy.

My uncle is BY FAR the biggest SW fan I know. He has a pole barn ⅔ of the way full of SW memorabilia. He doesn't seem the least bit interested in continuing the series after ROTJ. He doesn't mind more movies, but not at the expense of what all was accomplished in the OT. That's why fantasy stories end with "and they lived happily ever after". I kind of agree with him, but it's hard not want to see the big 3 back on the big screen.

DL44Jo and ChildOfWinds like this.
  9. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    What? I see he has a beard & lost weight. That's basically the jist of what we know of his participation. Oh... & he's playing Luke, but that's not important.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    With all due respect, that is how the thread has operated from the beginning. The two sorta go hand-in-hand and barring no real information on Mark, it kinda limits it to speculation on Luke's storylines and the role he will have in the new film.

11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i think we need to define .. dark. Do you mean, darksided. or just a little grimer because of all he has seen?

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Good question. Dark has become a wishy-washy marketing slang that has lost most meaning. Many heroes are called dark, some only because they wear dark clothing or such.

Dark for me means that the character likes to act outside the moral boundaries of society. Han for instance was a dark hero because he was basically a thief.

In comparison, a sarcastic streak or blunt honesty or "hardiness" are not what I would call dark.

Abadacus and JediMatteus like this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

If one continues to use the darker emotions to fulfill selfish desires, then it will turn you. Anakin didn't want to be evil, but he saw it as a necessity. But the more he used the dark side, the more it changed him into Vader. That's why he choked Padme when he thought she had willingly betrayed him. That's why during the war, Palpatine kept arranging for Anakin to be put in situations where his fear, anger and hate would start to get the best of him. This lead to moments like he fight with Dooku on Naboo, while it also resulted in Anakin becoming increasingly aggressive towards Dooku in battle, while it also resulted in his anger at the droids for almost ruining Padme's party, which was more of a calm and peaceful situation.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i do disagree that Han was a " Dark Hero" Yes he was an illegal smuggler, but that is more of a rogue, nuetral character, not dark. han always had an honor about him.

15. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    If we go by the book and Han is indeed an "ilegal smuggler", you could say Luke is a terrorist.

klooney and JediMatteus like this.
  16. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yes , this is why we cna never judge the Star wars universe as we judge our universe. We run by different ethics and rules

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Han was smuggling contraband was that was illegal during the Republic era. Lucas even said as much.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Point taken and a very fair point.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Dunno. It's enough to qualify as a dark streak in my book. But I certainly wouldn't say he was a villain or anything like that.

20. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Honor? He develops that over the course of the trilogy, which is why we love him, but he's certainly not an honorable man in the beginning.
    He shoots Greedo... ruthless, effective and justified? Yeah. Honorable? Not in the least. He only reluctantly agrees to help save an innocent woman because he's promised a payday at first.
    Han's journey is interesting because he starts off as a dishonorable, untrustworthy and untrusting drug smuggler and murderer - but when in the right place at the right time he rose to the occasion and started to become a hero.

DL44Jo and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    I wonder Mark having that disheveled look is something that JJ will incorporate into the film?[/quote]

[​IMG]

Who's disheveled looking?

DL44Jo, markdeez and Juke Skywalker like this.
  22. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    Hamill looks like somebody pee'd on his rug. That rug really tied the room together.

23. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    What?

24. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    If I have to explain the joke, then "you're obviously not a golfer".

klooney, VMeran and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Character arcs don't need to move forward -- that's an arbitrary value of progress. It presupposes that all arcs must progress in a positive way.

The best character arcs, in fact, as Chekhov knew, allow their characters to backslide, or think they're moving forward when they're actually not.

The value of progress and the idea that all our heroes must always improve is just another example of banal fan sentimentality. It can't be interesting because there's no tension there.

Anyway, if Luke were to commit an atrocity in order to save his friends, it would cohere with what we knew about him in the OT. Yoda warned him not to save his friends, but he went anyway. In ROTJ, the Emperor taunts him that his friends are about to die, and he breaks into a rage and beats the crud out of Vader. He only just barely stops himself from killing Vader. Barely.

Now imagine if he's watching his best friends and family about to be killed right before his eyes. Much different than the ROTJ scenario, when they were off in the distance. I don't believe for a second he would allow his loved one to perish when he could save them. Unfortunately, the way to save them may mean killing innocents completely unrelated to the conflict. This would be a selfish act, but most I think could relate to it. If anything, this would show that Luke has always been friends and family first. The only thing that's changed is what he's willing to do for them -- murder and sacrificing his own immortality.

So it's not just foregrounding his personal sacrifice, but also his selfishness. That's what interests me about it. (So the Jesus analogy doesn't really apply, unless Jesus also murdered people to save Mary and Paul).

Immortiss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.