main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    I would expect a backslide from a newer, younger character from the generation moving foward. Not the older, wiser Jedi that's character arc is coming to a close. 1 step forward, not 2 steps back.

Luke's not Han. Luke's "the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's REALLY hoping makes it happen".

Han's "the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet. You're not sure where he's coming from".

KitsterAKABobaFett likes this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke Skywalker is the character most of the original 1977-83 audience could relate to, while Han was the one the audience would like to be or be with. If this trilogy wants to engage both the older audience and the newer viewers it will need characters everyone can relate to. Thats why the story needs to have the right balance between the original 3 as well as the new 3, if they get it wrong then one part of the audience is going to be disappointed.

Gemma and KitsterAKABobaFett like this.
  3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    @Dra--- .
    I'm pretty sure that most fans of Han and Leia are expecting the "sentimental rewards" of kids and important jobs for them, Leia as head of state; Han as head of the military. Why is it so wrong for Luke fans to want something similar for Luke??? Why must HE be the character who regresses, accomplishing nothing for 30 years; having no offspring; and possibly going darkside (as you seem to want), while Han and Leia get to move forward in a positive way? No one ever seems to oomplain when Han and Leia fans say that they are hoping for a family and positive roles for their favorite characters. Why is it that only Luke fans have to be be willing to give up any positive hopes for Luke???

Why is it only okay for Luke to do bad things? What about Leia? She never faced the dark side. It would be more likely for HER to go dark than Luke. He has already faced his trials and has chosen the Lightside. Why would he do something stupid like fall to the dark side after being a Jedi for about 35 years ? He should be older and wiser. He should be the one mentoring the young apprentices who still need to face the dark side and make their choices. Actually, neither Leia nor Luke should fall in Episode VII. This ST isn't mainly Luke's story arc. (or Leia's) Luke's not the one whose character should be making huge changes, especially bad or evil ones. The major character arcs should be for the younger characters. Luke should be the one showing them the way and providing them with a good role model. He shouldn' t be regressing.

As I said, Luke likely won't have one of the major character arcs in the ST. And I wouldn't say that authors would be "Respecting characters" if they turn an iconic hero into a villain. For what reason would they do that? It makes NO sense! Why have the Big three return just to destroy a beloved character? It makes no sense at all. I doubt that I would be the only one who would be angry if that's what is done with Luke's character. I can't imagine that Disney would want to enrage a lot of OT fans in this, their first SW film. They would just be shooting themselves in the foot.

Surprises are fine. Bad shocks that come out of the blue just to be different and controversial and make no sense for the characters, are not.

@Abadacus :

Nicely said, Abadacus! I completely agree with you!

=D==D==D==D==D= Thank you for expressing so well exactly the way I feel about this!

4. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    All this "Luke going dark" nonsense all stems from him "saving the day in a bad way" rumor, which is a pretty big plot point for a movie with little information to go on other than spy shots of vehicles & "is that Driver? Is that Christie? Is that Boyega?" pic speculations.

Then the 5 different lead baddies that have been "confirmed" since this all began. From Driver to Nightsisters to Mandos to the Inquisitors to Palpatine. If they can't even confirm names, outfits, planets, or even... "who's flying what ship" how the hell are we to believe the "insiders" can predict climatic elements of EP 7? That's like saying...
    " I don't know who Landos playing but... Vader is Luke's father".

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Dra---

Well, that would mirror Anakin and "prove" the Old Order was right on attachments, methinks.

Dra--- and Abadacus like this.
  6. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Hmm. Is Luke willing to sacrifice his friend(s) for the greater good? What if Han died because Luke was forced to make a tough call? Considering their history together....

Dra--- likes this.
  7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Well, Luke has always been jealous of the fact that Leia chose Han over him...;)

VMeran and Dra--- like this.
  8. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    LUKE: It's not fair! Daisy should've been a cross-eyed dingbat! :_|

plaidphoenix likes this.
  9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Unless you've seen the movie, there is absolutely NO way that you can say that she doesn't turn out that way!

[​IMG]

10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Equally interesting, to me.

I think the idea of attachments still has more room to be explored. In the new Jedi Order thread, I've pointed out again and again how people arbitrarily assume that handing Luke a family would automatically make him happy. But most of our greatest pains and dysfunctions come from family.

While most fans think family is more important than how the old Jedi Order used to organize, it's not as if the Jedi had tons of Anakin's turning to the darkside. No, Anakin had a mother and wanted attachments and he fell to the darkside.

There's also the issue of what conflicts might erupt from Jedi clans. If Jedi are allowed to have families, not only would their attachments and fears increase, but they would begin to privilege their family members over the Jedi Order. This could give rise to clans competing for power, and more conflict, as a result of family, and not less.

So why people think all Luke's problems would be solved by handing him a family is beyond me.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The main problem I see with Luke turning dark is he's supposed to be training the new line of Jedi. If he turns, who trains them then? A new person? Did he train them before turning? Or did he trainin Daisy, etc. to be dark but they turned against him?

I wonder if the, "saving the galaxy, but in a bad way," means he succeeds but becomes physically crippled and unable to fight again. This way he can still train new Jedi and it removes him from saving the day in VIII and IX as he has to leave things into the hands of the new heroes.

12. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't think that. It's natural to expect families having problems. I just want Luke to have the opportunity to have a family of his own since he had expressed an interest in women, and I would like to see how he handled fatherhood.

The only real reason why there weren't more Jedi like Anakin was because they weren't in the script, unless you count the arrogant ones Yoda had mentioned to Obi-Wan in II. What exactly is the audience supposed to learn from PT Anakin anyway? That love and attachments are evil and should be avoided? I found the idea that Anakin was punished by Lucas' PT galaxy for loving his mother and wife alienating, disturbing and offensive. The boy was JUST separated from his slave mom, but Yoda's surprised he's still attached and faults him for that? I'm sorry, are these movies made for humans? [face_alien]

How about we have Jedi who behave like normal functioning people, marry and have kids if they're interested and practice all their attachments (friendships, family and intimate relationships) with moderation? It would make these characters and stories feel less foreign and more relatable to general audiences.

13. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    But when did Luke express any interest in a woma-oh right... [face_sick]

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I thought Star Wars wasn't a horror movie, or at least usually it isn't. Killing off all of Luke's friends and having him turn darkside would be a total tonal disconnect from the optimistic OT-movies. It wouldn't really be Star Wars anymore but rather something else with the same name. Innovating the franchise and creating something new must be possible without destroying that which made the franchise popular in the first place. If you think that is the only way to go, then consequently you don't want any more Star Wars movies, only some flicks who share the characters.

And I find it asinine to say that it is only fan sentimentality to want Luke remain a hero. I am pretty sure it wouldn't go over well with many people in the audience. This isn't a realistic drama about alcoholism in which the main hero slides back to alcoholism again and again, it is a Star Wars movie and should be fun! And basically erasing the developments from the previous movies isn't fun, it is frustrating.

VMeran, DL44Jo, Abadacus and 2 others like this.
  15. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    Hey - it's the thought that counts. ;)

Six likes this.
  16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i guess you do have some points, but he had to shoot greedo or die.\

also i dont think luke will go to the dark side in this film. worse case scenario is that he has to make a seemingly ruthless decision to save lives.

17. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Some times we need our Hero's to not become dark cause you know they are the hero's? The reason as a child that I loved (and still do) Luke so much was because I wanted to be just like him. I wanted to be the good guy to save the day to always do what was right even if it was not easy. Sure Luke went a little bit dark but he always was the hero and I like to believe that at the end of ROTJ he is at piece he has become enlightened not spiraled into depression. Sometimes we need our hero's to, well, just be the hero's!

18. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think there's the slightest possibility of Luke going dark. He's Luke Skywalker. There's tons of other ways to get tension out of the story. For instance, Luke could refuse to partake in a violent act and as a result Han could die. Perhaps that could cause a bit of a rift between Luke and Leia.

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, Leia is the Skywalker child you have to watch. Other than Luke, she was never really tested by the dark side.

VMeran likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, Luke had his dark side test in ROTJ. He got close to the edge, and pulled back. I think he learned enough from that to not risk going there again.

Gemma, DL44Jo, Redimet and 8 others like this.
  22. bellatroll

bellatroll Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 21, 2013
    Luke going to the dark side is a theme breaker, really. It wouldn't work, especially given that he is supposed to be a wise and old Gandalf-like figure.

The Dark Empire story-line is garbage and shouldn't be included in the new canon. Palpatine died in the Death Star and that's the way it should remain.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think the whole, Luke saves the day but not in really good way, is that he sacrifices Han to do it. That Han has to be rescued, but can't and Luke realizes this and thus pulls the trigger.

[​IMG]

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Would be interesting if Luke ended up as a Snape-like character. He is good, but poses as a bad guy in order to get inside information and help the good guys on their way secretly.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Snape was an actual Death Eater though before he turned so his being placed among them as a spy works. I doubt any Imperial or Sith is going to be gullible enough to believe Luke Skywalker was on their side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.