main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill interview on ETOnline...states "They're talking to us"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by braddrad, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Generally speaking, this premise would be okay with me, though I'd want more screen time with Solo before he dies.

2. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    More Hamill/Luke gets a thumbs up from me, they could do this:

Poo-Do and TreborSabreon like this.
  3. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And you have no sense of humor. I have massive respect for Mark Hamill. It would fill the Grand Canyon. And I adore the man for being adamant about his co-stars returning. But this whole interview is a very public negotiation tactic. He knows that this is The Big Paycheck for him, and he's understandably trying to get as much of a nest egg out of the deal as possible. If you think I'm wrong, go listen to how frustrated he was at the crappy paychecks for the Arkham games. Mark is a hardcore advocate for actors getting paid what they deserve. Unfortunately, he's probably finding out that Disney is not quite as generous as George was.

Regardless, no one needs to hear Mark whining about CGI, anymore than we need to hear the otherwise wonderful Sir Ian McKellan crying about standing in front of a green screen. It's just tacky. Mark knows that no one's reorganizing the production around his preference for outdated, 20th century special effects. They hired Abrams and Burk to take care of that job. It's bad form to throw George under the bus, since he was the one who brung Mark to the ball in the first place.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

And if the CGI in the prequels look like videogame stuff, that's not Mark's fault for pointing it out, it's LFL's for making the CGI look like videogame stuff in the first place. It's not a question of being old-school; it's a question of simply being observant. It's not taking a swipe; it's being honest. If a child points out that the emperor has no clothes, who's fault is that: the emperor for not wearing clothes, or the kid for pointing out the glaringly obvious? Mark would have to have had legally blind to have missed it; his response was the textbook definition of mild compared to what others have said.

By the way, if Lucas is like family to Mark, then it's even more important for him to be honest, because you have to be honest with people you care about; you're no good to them otherwise.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ANYWHOO....

Just when I thought I couldn't become more excited for the ST!!

That sure hints a lot about what the movies could be like-when they'll take place, and how large of A role these characters will have...

hell, I'm just happy that they're not being recast!!!

6. D_Lucks

D_Lucks Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2013
    That's if they had kids within a year or so of the end of ROTJ, and that still seems like a bit of a stretch to squeeze to generations in. Luke had no love interest and they all had a galactic government to rebuild, I couldn't see leia just walking away from everything to start a family after overthrowing the Empire. Plus like someone else mentioned, too much story to fill in

7. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Everything Mark said about Less CGI and more realistic effects was spot on! Plus they do need to bring back the humor of the original series. Like Leia trying to hide her feelings for Han and saying she'd just as soon kiss the Wookiee. Then he's all like... I could arrange that! You could use a good kiss! The prequels were way too serious all the time and it made scenes kinda boring to watch. There was no comedy dialog like this. Everything was all political and dire.
    Make it a movie everyone can enjoy. Not just star wars fans.

J_Girl, Padme501st and Dra--- like this.
  8. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I could see both Han and Luke dying in Ep 7 to further push the ST in a new direction with new characters...

9. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't know...I found the romantic dialogue pretty funny. :D

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

[​IMG]

11. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay Jar Jar wasn't serious but most everything else was.:p
    The dialog in the prequels was funny but for all the wrong reasons. like the part where Anakin wished he could wish away his feelings. That was funny but in a stupid kinda way.
    I still cringe everytime i hear it. A blind chimp with a pencil in his teeth could write better dialog.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

Hmm, I don't see it...

13. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    It appears they went after the hardest to sign first, compared to how busy these actors are and there subsequent paydays that are justified to go with them. And if Ford is in everybody is in.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/

14. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I just hope Ep 7 doesn't turn into an Indy 4 or a Die Hard 5, with the old heroes teaming up with their offspring to thwart the bad guys. Pleeeaaaseee nnooooooooooooo!!!!

J_Girl and Darth Claire like this.
  15. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    All Anakin had to say was "If I could only wish away my feelings." How hard is that to come up with? Took me like 1 second.

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Whining about whining: in other words, meta-whining.

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well if your gonna have the now older big 3 in the film, then make them apart of the film. Oh sure, have it be ABOUT the kids, but actually have the big 3 be CHARACTERS in the film. In other words actual roles instead of just cameo's. Do anything but and you could end up with disaster.

If the kids aren't interesting enough teh audience will look to the big 3. If the big 3 do nothing and appear less, then the audience will lose interest, and be disappointed that the big 3 weren't a bigger part of the film. Many of you have seen films and disliked them because of this very problem. Your gonna have to have parts where the big 3 do things with the kids, in order for the big 3 to sell the kids to the audience.

Krueger and Vastor like this.
  18. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I would not want to see:
    Han Junior: "I got your back, Dad!'
    Han Senior: "And I got yours, kiddo!"

They rush headlong into a group of stormtroopers, mowing them all down with their trusty blasters. Once the smoke has settled, Han winks at his son,

Han Senior: "You're definitely a chip off the old block"
    Han Junior: "Yeah OLD"
    Han Senior: "Hey, I fought an Empire for you."

The big 3 don't have to have cameos and can play important roles, but to be sidekicks - no way. It kind of worked in Indy 3. I don't want to see it in Ep 7.

19. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    ...Maybe they canceled all their appointments in order to focus on making episode VII...

:p

20. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    ...yep, those were the lines there.... ;)

But seriously, I do agree: this trilogy should have a different theme-ALL it's own though, not serious like the PT, but ALSO not necessarily mimicking the theme/atmosphere of the OT either. I think sometimes people go a little too overboard with hoping that this trilogy is going to be just like the OT in every way. I would think it would be better if it had its own unique characteristics. then you have a wonderful saga: three trilogies that each have their own Unique sense of atmosphere and tone. If that happens that way, then suddenly the tonal differences between the PT and OT may not seem so jarring anymore.

21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - Disney doesn't do crap. To paraphrase Jim Butcher "Don't do anything half-assed. If it's worth doing, do it whole-assed." They know what they're getting into with more Star Wars movies, they know it's huge, and they will plan accordingly. They didn't spend 4 Billion on something they'd be afraid to spend money on. After the last week or two, I'm pretty much positive that not only will we get the big three back, but that it will be awesome. I can't imagine what it's going to be like playing one of the new generation with them on set!

Padme501st and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yeah, I think a large part of me would go insane if Mark, Harrison, or Carrie was recast...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I also hope that "they are talking to us" involves Billy Dee Williams.

24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

This should be the ironic, official tagline for the ST. Make it happen, internets!

25. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    It makes sense that the whole original group would need to come on board or none at all. It seems to me that all will do this. Luke could serve as the "Kenobi" at this point. The problem I have with an old Solo is that since he's "respectable" that seems boring to me. The same can be said for Lando and Leia. They were all so boring in Jedi.