main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill interview on ETOnline...states "They're talking to us"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by braddrad, Feb 19, 2013.

1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I don't begrudge (or any of the actors) him a penny - in fact, I saw AoTC and Sith so many times, I used to joke that I might have even bought Hayden a pack of smokes ;)

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It doesn't indicate this at all. It only indicates that they wouldn't recast. It is the same as when George told Mark that they wouldn't have recast Luke had he died in the car accident, they would've come up with something else for the Episodes V and VI (this is in either the Making of Star Wars or the Making of Empire book).

Same deal here.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Passing on his knowledge and training can be done as the main character, it doesn't have to be as a supporting character.

We can be certain that Star Wars was "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" and that the Star Wars Theme is Luke's Theme.

kataja and TreborSabreon like this.
  4. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Personally I think you are overreacting. The big three can have a good size part, but still focus on the new main characters. It seems pretty clear the big three are not a necessity to tell the story they wish to tell. Where did Lucas say they would come up with a different plan if Hammill died? Not doubting what you are saying, but I have never heard it and you didn't give any source.

My personal recommendation is for people to chill out. Not enough confirmations to be able to decide if the sky is falling.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    As cited in my post, either the Making of Star Wars or the Making of Empire book by Rinzler.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Off-topic, but I must say I've spent about half an hour or more with Anthony Daniels and my impression was that he was a warm, funny and generous man. I have no bad words to say about him but many good things.

7. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I met Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew, Jeremy Bulloch, David Prowse and Tony Daniels.....

Tony Daniels was, by far, the most insufferable celebrity I ever met.

That's why I do not root for him to star in the ST.....

J_Girl likes this.
  8. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Assuming Lucas is like family to Mark, then if Mark has an issue with the prequels, just like with any family member, you go to them in private. You don't make it a public matter and let the media sensationalize it. Now we are going to get a bunch of headlines that indicate Mark Hamill thinks the prequels look like "video games". Sorry, slamming the prequels in interviews so the public can read it is something that is for guys like Simon Pegg to do, not someone like Hamill who is a major part of the Star Wars family.

Darth Chiznuk and LawJedi like this.
  9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Hopefully this will be the case. What I don't want to see are a series of Star Trek-like films with all of the original cast hogging the limelight while the newer faces/characters are relegated to secondary roles.

Note that I am a child of the OOT, saw all of these original films in the theatre, etc. And even I don't feel any need to see the "Big Three" in the ST. Because, let's face it, the ST will not be made for my generation, but for kids who probably won't care either way if Luke, Leia, Han, etc. are in the new films. In fact, I would venture to guess that the general audience these new films are aimed at weren't even born when the OOT was originally in theatres.

10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I've been around Anthony Daniels three separate times. Each time, he was incredibly gracious and outgoing. Guess it just depends on the day (like with all of us, I suppose).

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty unprofessional when Hamill called the prequels "complete junk" that are "embarrassingly amateurish" and "make Tommy Wiseau look like Stanley Kubrick".

Or at least you'd think that was what he said, going by some of the reactions here.

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    The problem is that I don't believe for a second that Mark has qualms about Kennedy, Arndt and Abrams, or their ability to get these movies on track. So why the heck are we flinging more passive aggressive poo at the prequels? Especially in public?

13. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    14 years just isn't long enough for the wounds to heal, dude. Hell, people are still going on about Ewoks 30 years later.

Hamill is clearly excited by the opportunity to return to Star Wars. I'm personally excited because it's absolutely open-ended as far as stories go, yet it will continue the thread of the OT. We haven't been where we are now since 1981, two years out from ROTJ. Frankly, the prequel trilogy is the last thing I'm fixating on at the moment.

Pro Scoundrel and LawJedi like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am anxious for this weekend's Herculean news when Mark Tweets that he has changed his ringtone so that he can better identify a call from anyone affiliated with LFL.

And the multiple threads that such news will generate...

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Honestly, if Mark tweeted at all, I would personally start five threads on the subject. Dude's been quiet.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    For what it's worth, Anthony Daniels might be one of the nicest people I've met. I had a long talk with him back when I was in film school. I have met a couple of more Star Wars actors (only small parts), and neither of them were very nice to be honest. It'll be interesting to meet Billy Dee and Jeremy Bulloch in April :cool:
    Would be a real treat to meet any of the big three though, but that chance is slim at best, living in Sweden.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  17. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    A girl I work with met him too and showed me the picture. She said the same thing.

Anyway, on topic -- haven't read all the posts to this thread -- NOW that Hamill has spilled the beans so to speak Disney has even more pressure to make it happen "by hook or by crook" as they say. Now that Hamill has confirmed the plan, to bring back the Big 3, it will be even more disastrous and disappointing should the plan fall through. At this point 4 B is riding on locking up the Big 3. May have been a very wise and lucrative move on his part. :p

Pro Scoundrel and Poo-Do like this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Funny, becausethis is exactly what I want to see.

That's not the impression that Iger gave during the announcement or conference calls. I got the impression the target audience was "our" generation. Disney has given the impression that they know the value of the OT and its characters, and that more money will be made with the old cast than with a new one.

J_Girl likes this.
  19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The anti-CGI argument tends to be hypocritical. STAR WARS has always been revolutionary. In 1977 and so on, ILM used effects that were not then considered traditional or even "practical".

VMeran and LawJedi like this.
  20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Thats one thing I fear. While I know fans like the idea of that, I think the reality of it will be kinda bad *seeing as though these actors are no longer the 30 something year olds we remember them as and only 1/3 of them have actually done any major film work lately*. This new trilogy can't just rely on the OT cast and put the new cast in the background cause "Fans want to see the original 3". It'll just fail. What's the point of having a new cast of new heroes if you just shove them aside to give a bunch of old guys too much screentime to make some fans feel nostalgic. Team New Cast all the way! *also younger characters sell much more toys than 70-year old guys. You don't see many kids going around pretending to be old-man kenobi. Hey we gotta market this to a new generation *suprisingly these films aren't all for us**

21. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I seriously thought we were talking about Jake Lloyd when the "hard to deal with" cast member was mentioned. Though I did hear that Daniels is easy to deal with if you don't do any of his pet peeves, so I guess it depends on the day or the person involved. Mark paid me a very nice compliment at C6 and I will forever love him for saying it, god knows he didn't have to

Anyways, I would rather not have the old characters if there's recast involved so I'm glad to hear this news. I was unsure about the ST when it was first announced but the more I hear about it, I can't help but get excited. And my ultimate wish would be the balance between props/sets and CGI

DarthBreezy likes this.
  22. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    And then you have people ho want Lando, Wedge, and essentially any secondary character from the Original Trilogy. I mean, so what's the point of getting a new cast if everybody wants the old characters to return?

Darth Claire likes this.
  23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Had a friend tell me Tony Daniels gave her a Force FX lightsaber and showed a picture with her and Mr. Daniels to boot.

Padme501st likes this.
  24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Indeed.
    It is stunning how unimaginative some people are.
    Revisit this, revisit that, see this guy in a larger role, see that guy in a larger role...

StoneRiver and Darth Claire like this.
  25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    It's kinda sad how some people just want more of the old than the new. I'd rather have a new toy than an old, worn out toy trying to pass off as a new toy (am I making any sense?)