main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill interview on ETOnline...states "They're talking to us"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by braddrad, Feb 19, 2013.

1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The Making of The Empire Strikes Back by J. W. Rinzler, page 10 (hardcover):
    This follows exactly along the lines of what Mark said about the ST and is why George asked if he was interested in August, months before Arndt started writing the sceenplay. If Mark declined, George would've made a "script change" and changed the treatments that were later given to Arndt to use as the basis for the screenplay of Episode VII.

I suggest you purchase Rinzler's books to better educate yourself on the history of the Star Wars Saga so that you avoid stretching the facts to fit your POV.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You can make an argument that Obi-Wan is basically the 2nd lead in "A New Hope" (and certainly after the PT he's the 2nd most important character to me in the movie) so I can totally see Luke's part being very substantial. I'd actually hope for him to be in it at least as much if not more than Obi-Wan is used in Ep.4. I'm cool with Han & Leia & Chewie all showing up again but, really, Luke is the big one and I kinda hope he sticks around. Whoever the main character is he goes to Master Skywalker for advice (Yoda is around a lot in Ep. 2 & 3 as well, use that as an example as well)

3. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I want a Luke who turns to the darkside. Then we get "The shadow of the Empire." That's what I have always wanted.

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, yeah, that's terribly relevant now, just like every other silly 100-year-old old fact you argue in this case. I think if God himself told you Luke will not be the main character, you would argue the case. I think even when he ISN'T the main character after the movie is released, you will find some ridiculous way to argue that he IS the main character.

Darth Claire likes this.
  5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That's the best you can do? Seriously?

You asked where I pulled the quote from and accused me of stretching facts to support my POV so I gave you the source - and even quoted it for you - and that's what you come up with? That's how you respond to facts? It is relevant because YOU asked where it came from.

At least I use facts to support my POV - THE ONLY FACTS we have at the moment I might add. You use your own personal opinion to support your POV.

When we have facts from Lucas, Lucasfilm, Disney etc. that say otherwise I will adjust my POV to conform to those facts. As of right now however, the only facts we have points to Luke as main character - whether you accept them or not. Not my fault you didn't have access to all the info George gave over the years.

As a side note, I bet you're one of the people that followed the publicity machine for the PT and believed that the OT, and Saga in general, was really about Vader/Anakin and that there was no story left because Anakin died.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Seems to me like some folks need to stop chiding and being intentionally insulting while others need to lighten up and not take things to personally. Chill out everyone. Give it a day before posting to cool off.

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Nice that they're talking to Mark (and I'm assuming others), though I don't quite agree with his wish for the ST to be more "humorous and light-hearted". Some humor sure, but not the overall tone.

8. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    we know its a fact that in Lucas' treatment, Luke and Leia have a role ep 7. We also know its a fact that Luke and Leia will be written out if Mark and Carrie decide not to show up. I think that indicates that Luke and Leia have a small role in ep 7.

If The Saga will be complete with 9 episodes, then the OT is the middle trilogy. At the very end of the PT we see the birth of Luke And Leia. Maybe at the very beginning of the ST we will see Luke and Leia die.

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Babylon 5 switched the main character Sinclair with Sheridan and switched the secondary character Lyta with Talia and then back again, yet the storylines were more-or-less preserved. I don't think Luke will be the main character but I do think he can be a major character in the outline, and the fact that he could have been "written out" if need be reveals very little.

If anything, it's telling that Lucas wanted to know if Hamill, Fisher and Ford were on board before Arndt did the heavy lifting. If they were minor characters in the outline, there would be no need to feel out their status before moving onto the full treatments and screenplay.

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    See quote involving writing Luke being written out of ESB and RotJ, so it doesn't indicate anything regarding VII except what Artoo-Dion said regarding finding out in the treatment phase vs. after the script was written.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Just playing devil's advocate, but again, for all we know, Luke and Leia were the stars of the treatment as it stood months ago during the meeting with George. At that point Lucas says he will rewrite if he has to. This is before Arndt was even brought on board. This is not proof of the size of any roles. Do I think it likely that Luke will be the major role, at the expense of screen time for the new heroes? No, but I sure hope Luke has a sizeable role with much to contribute.

There is more than one way to interpret the facts as we now understand them.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 and T-R- like this.
  12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I was making a point about your statement of Luke dying, and how irrelevant it was. The "facts" you cling to are just statements from a long time ago about another movie. You are stretching them to make them meaningful in this situation, which is a whole different situation. That is extrapolating, not providing facts about what is going on in the year 2013. I'll come back to this come 2015, when you will be having crow for lunch.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It is relevant because it shows that Lucas rather change his story than recast the part. It was true in 1977, which is a fact as I quoted for you, and it is true in 2013, which is fact as stated by Mark in the ETOnline interview.

Both are facts and show that Lucas' preference not to recast has no bearing on the size of Mark/Luke's role in the new trilogy because Lucas would change as needed.

Lol, that's what people on these forums have been telling me in topics regarding a ST since 2005. Everyone said it was over, that Lucas' ideas were old and no longer applied, and that I was crazy for believing that there would be a ST. Guess what? We're getting a ST, just like Lucas said from 1980-1999, and I bet it follows the story he outlined way back then.

14. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Could very well happen. Another mirroring - this time have another twist to it. Not sure what that would be but you get the idea.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This. Now featuring Modly Backing™

JainaSoloYJK and Fleab88 like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The title is unintentionally hilarious for me:
    "They're talking to us...the walls are talking to us! Help me George you're my only hope!"

Jedi Merkurian likes this.