main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    He will be back. But in the capacity that he is in TLJ? Unlikely.

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    In comics or as a force ghost cameo. Rian said it that he is a supporting role. He is dead and we will have to accept it.
    And like any other main character he as well had to bite the dust. No critics on that one. The only thing really bothering is the destruction of his character as we knew him.

3. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't think that's the case. Trevorrow may have had some out there ideas that didn't fit in with the over all themes. Keep in mind that Rey is the lead, and given what he did with Jurassic Park World, there were a lot of "Um what" moments in his choices there. My guess is that he was going to focus more on some other aspect of the story and they were like "No, this is a story about hope." Again we won't know until Trevorrow mentions what his plans were.

Luke is a supporting role, it's not his story as of right now. Just as Obi Wan was the Supporting role to Anakin, and Luke. And Anakin was supporting to Luke in the OT.

Honestly, I can't see them keeping him dead, for the main reason that Carrie isn't there and I don't think it would fit if he stayed dead now. My guess is that there are a few options here.

1. He stays dead no force ghost.
    2. He stays dead but a force ghost.
    3. He comes back to life via the force ala what Obi Wan wanted him to do.

With J.J. I can see him doing 2 or 3 honestly because J.J. is a weirdo and we've seen what he did with Star Trek and his other works.

4. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    I'd like to see 2 or 3 happen, but after getting my hopes up with TLJ and them doing something totally different, I'm more hesitant. Not getting my hopes up this time around...

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  5. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    You are totally right on this and no one expected more. BUT if the upcoming Obi trilogy shows Obi trying to kill his own family before joining Qui Gon, having hedonistic orgys on Tatooine and being a total asocial dirtbag the fandom of Kenobi would feel offended. And this (similar) is what happened to Luke. The Luke fandom feels condescended. I am not a big fan of Luke but I feel this as well.

Just a real life experience today: Today in german news we see a doubtful hedonistic semi VIP woman being half naked, tatooed all over the body nailed on a cross in Jesus outfit.
    I am not religious BUT a lot of people are and it is a big part of their life. Is it necessary to upset them in such a condescending way? Where is the benefit except of malicious joy?
    You simply should not do this. But in times where happy slapping movies or even worse get 1 million likes plus in a few hours I think the understanding about what is right or wrong has changed over the years. And that is why you can sell a Reylo romance today. 30 years ago the director would have been the one on the cross instead of the woman.

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, for me now Star Wars ends with Return of the Jedi. The Lucas saga who had a vision. This new one is a parody. I really wonder how TLJ could pass LFL's quality control.

I would even understand if Mark Hamill refuses to appear as force ghost in IX. Never thought I would ever say this. Nothing can be repaired in this trilogy regarding Luke.

7. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I have yet to see it and despite what I know about Luke’s fate,I’m going to go try and see it with a different lens. I have this feeling I’m going to come out of it with mixed feelings. But I’m giving it a chance. I know they have been giving it great reviews but I would like to see it for myself. These critics, I’m also sure (in some cases) are in cahoots with Disney and trying to sell tickets. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure a lot of them are legit, but a little leery of it. That said, I look forward to the overall package in terms of music, cinematography, acting, visual effects, etc. So I’m going to try and look at it from a different perspective tomorrow night when I see it. You never know. I may really like it.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Really hope so. It would be emotional and epic.

9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    For those who did read "From a certain point of view" QuinGonn was in fact able to reach sold form in the book, but it took a lot out of him to do it.

Perhaps Luke learned how to do this without the same trouble? I just don't think we should write off Luke just yet.

Darth_Voider and themoth like this.
  10. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Even is possible for Luke to come back...why bother? What can he add aside from dishing out more Yoda type advice or just smiling at the end of the movie like Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda did in ROTJ. Its just ripping off those scenes and will cheapen what happens to him in Ep8.

Seriously - Luke is done. We have to accept it now. It sucks but thats what Disney wanted.

JJ will want nothing to do with Luke anyways - so one can dream about a million scenarios, but it won't happen and is not needed.

nightangel likes this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I say he's dead because his cloak fell to the ground like Yoda and Obi-Wan. But yeah, imagine if he appeared again like he did during the 'battle' with Kylo. Unable to be killed via gunshot or lightsaber.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

I pictured them doing the same montage with the Big 3 at the end of this trilogy which is lame in my opinion.

13. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Him returning to physical form is not interesting. Its an interesting concept only in exploring the Force and the potential of doing that feat, but its not interesting from a dramatic and narrative standpoint. He's achieved immortality - if he actually gets involved in Ep9 - where are the dramatic stakes? This is even worse than what the writers worry was to begin with...when Luke shows up he just outshines everyone. So Disney shoved him aside to focus on Han Solo and now he didn't do anything here really too and is now gone.

nightangel likes this.
  14. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    I highly doubt that's going to happen in the Obi Wan movies. My guess is that we'll probably get the story behind his time with Saten and about his family and the like, and probably his early time prior to TPM in regards of the story. But...and I stress this, But...I highly doubt that they're going to do that to him.

Yes the Luke fandom feels condesended, but then again, we've been condesended to for AGES now. Here me out....

First we have the fact that he wasn't given a love interest because George changed his mind on who his sister was.

Then we have the fact that in the EU not only does he go dark for a while, under, of all things, the Clone of the guy he saved his father from and had to be redeemed himself. Yes, farm boy Luke fell to the Dark Side for a while and worked with Palpitine, and no he wasn't doing it just because he wanted to stop him, for a while there he nearly did follow in his father's foot steps. Then let's see here, oh yeah, one of his strongest Jedi wound up blowing up a solar system, some got twisted to the dark side for a while, at least a few were killed based on his bad choices, then we had the fun fact that he got married and had a kid, only to have his wife murdered by his own nephew and had to watch as he nearly blew up the entire galaxy for the express purpose of, you guessed it, fulfilling some twisted vision that was warped by the very Sith that he chose to join, because Jacen is an idiot. Suffered through the death of his other Nephew because Anakin had to rush to save Tahiri, later nearly had himself and his son poessessed by a pool showing them ghosts through the force, wound up being exiled by the New Republic because they blamed him and the Jedi for causing issues, then his son is nearly seduced by a Dark side user, and they fight Cuthulu. Oh and that's not to mention his less then stellar advice to Cade Skywalker in the future.

So Luke being treated poorly by writers isn't something new or surprising. Here's the thing, I think. I think that Rian likes the idea of the bad guy being won over by the good guy. I think he likes the idea that love can fix someone and turn them back. Which does actually fall in line with at least three instances in Star Wars Lore to this point.

Kyp Durron coming back over because of the respect and understanding, and yes love, he gets from Han who cares about him. Bastilla and Revan's story is all sorts of this, and techincially Mara and Luke are a case of Bad girl gets help by Good boy. Luke helps her overcome her own issues and the remaining influences of the Darkside in her, because...well he's in love with her and she falls for him.

I get what you're saying about disrespect, although that's a weird thing in regard to putting someone up on a cross, um...what?

30 years ago you could have sold Reylo even better actually then you can now. Just take a look at film history. In most cases it's the reverse. A young woman of dubious nature, grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, falls for the smart, sweet, or innocent guy from the right side and he, with his love changes her for the better. In most cases it's the idea of the Spy, or the villain's daughter, or even the female villain being changed by falling in love with the hero of the story and making it so that they live happily ever after. They play up that she's not so bad, even though her actions probably killed a lot of people, she's still just being manipulated by the real bad guy. It's the same, I think, with the Ben and Rey situation. Though honestly I'm still not buying her being Rey Random, still too many loop holes in there for that.

I think with Luke they're going to try to build on the idea of the Mentors journey now, vs. The heroes. I have a similar example that I think exemplifies this. So there's a manga series called JoJo's bizzare adventures, and it's a saga about the Joestar family and their lives and the fights they have to deal with. Now when the writer, Hirohiko Araki began his work he wanted to tell this story about the third main character, Jotaro and his adventure. But in order to tell his story he needed to tell the story of his Great Grandfather Johnathan Joestar, who is a noble and good kid at the start and grows to become a strong and noble and just young man, who, in order to stop Dio Brando his adopted brother from destroying all of England, because Dio became a vampire, has to go on a heroes journey and ends up sacrificing himself to stop Dio allowing his Grandson and his Great Grandson to take up his journey and complete it. There's a Legend in there and the foundation of Johnathan's noble spirit pushes the other characters in his family to make strong choices even when they are the hardest to chose.

I think, in a lot of ways, they're trying to do this with Luke. They want to give him the journey of the Mentor, someone that helps elevate others, much like Jotaro's grandfather Joseph, who acts as a mentor to his Grandson on their journey. My guess is that they're going to devise a way to use Luke in the next one because of Carrie's death and probably find a way to make a stronger connection to him and Rey during these events. I get a feeling that we're going to get a Obi wan tells the truth moment with Rey and Luke in IX.

Yeah I know the feeling, but hope is all we have, and with Carrie gone I think they will need to really use him to fill in the void of her role in this next movie.

15. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015

The same quality control that previously gave us Luke as a Dark Sith working under Palpatine in the books. Or are we talking the Quality control that even when it was under George didn't always know what the heck they were doing.

Throw in there that there was probably one other hand in all of this that has since left, the COO Thomas Staggs who pretty much was the guy that originally indicated to JJ and GL that they didn't wan 18 year olds as leads. It seems like he was in charge of a lot of things during this time, and there's a probability, if things in reports are saying, that people on the board were not impressed by his attitude nor his skills, and that he wanted to be assured that he was going to be the CEO of Disney next year, then I wouldn't be surprised if some of the changes in EP. VIII may have come from requests from him. He's been being groomed since 2010 to take over and there's been some contention there.

Will Mark refuse? Maybe, maybe not depending on what JJ writes for his script and given that it's Iger now that they have to report to, and again he's still buddies with George, I can see them doing a different set up for Mark and also to clear up the issue with Carrie. As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if they go and have her death be the reason he's back alive again.

16. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Just let Mark/Luke rest. I personally don't want Luke nor Leia to show up in episode 9.
    My biggest fears, when the ST was announced, came true.
    I really didn't think that could've happened.

nightangel and Darth Smurf like this.
  17. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yes, the best thing would be skip episode IX completely (no Luke or no Leia anymore) and leave the ending of TLJ as the ending of this trilogy. Then they could do Rian's new non Skywalker trilogy for casual audiences who want a space action movie.

Tiberius.Ogden and Master_Lok like this.
  18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Mark is apparently pissed off with the direction it has gone and I can't blame him, however he is a professional and he'll portray Luke as long as fans want to see him. I don't know what they are planning for Luke in IX and beyond but i'd be amazed if TLJ was the last we see of Luke, personally i'm hoping for the GL idea that got dismissed for Obi-Wan in ROTJ, it's the only thing that makes any sense to me at the moment.

rebelknight1 and Dominick1216 like this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I think KK is glad she got rid from him and I think he will continue trolling now. He does himself and the fandom no favor with this although his feelings are understandable.

Tiberius.Ogden likes this.
  20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    why, he knows this flashback scene ruined Luke's character forever and even if he is brought back for a force ghost cameo, it wouldn't change a single thing.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

His fall from grace is complete, what makes sense is his rise follows and it began with the end of TLJ but that wouldn't fit in with the "not Luke's trilogy" we keep hearing. Is IX salvageable? Hell yes!!! Will it be salvaged? My confidence with JJ Abrams is lacking any conviction, after Super 8, Star Trek and TFA I haven't seen anything that says to me IX will be the best yet.

Dominick1216 and nightangel like this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I liked all of the three movies you mention. JJ will put things right again.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  23. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I agree and nothing more than 30 seconds force ghost cameo, if he is in IX at all. I somehow think KK and co is finished with Mark and this was the last we saw of Luke. That was also the reason to show this kid at the end. Now many between the lines comments make it clear when he said he played Luke Skywalker, or be prepared that he is gone. And all of this after he has done so much to be fit for this role. I can understand that he feels betrayed. :(

Tiberius.Ogden and Django Fett like this.
  24. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Ok, I'm heading out of work, have a quick dinner, a quick nap and head to the theatre in three hours. Doing the DBOX thing. Hope my 3D glasses don't fog up so much from crying. lol. Oh yes, and a mandatory trip to the restroom prior. Going in with an open mind. Then I also go the next day. Will give some general thoughts. MTFBWYA

25. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Another thing is he's under contract so I doubt he could get out even if he wanted. I doubt he would have signed on in the first place had he known what they were going to do with Luke. Peter Graves refused to play Jim Phelps in the first Mission: Impossible movie because they smeared Phelps like Ryan and KK smeared Luke.

Best thing is disregard the ST and refuse to support anything they do from here on out. I'm starting by not going to the Solo movie. That also means not buying merch. I'm dropping the Marvel comics title next time I go to my LCS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.