main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    I am not suggesting he should or would be a main character in Ep. 9, but he can have the same amount of screen time and significance as Obi-Wan or Yoda. If Leia is no longer around, he could be given more time as well.

I am sure there will already be plenty of time devoted to the new characters as it is.

TadoFett and Strongbow like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As he himself says, "she needs a teacher" thats what Rey wants him to be to her. If we will get that in the movie is all up for debate.

TadoFett likes this.
  3. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    He was not (IMO).

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No I agree he was not a teacher in TLJ. I was saying he could be one in 9.

5. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    Ahh, my bad, I thought you meant in TLJ.

6. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, he did teach her a couple of things. “Lessons.”

And yet:

“Skywalker, still looking to the horizon. Never here, now, hmm? The need in front of your nose.”

That’s not the need Luke failed to fulfill, apparently. It was something he appears to have missed entirely. Something he thought he couldn’t be.

7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Luke feared Rey's draw to the dark side and he didn't approve at all of her talking to Kylo. He only gave her two lessons about the Force antagonistically in order to try to prove his point that the Jedi should end. So what about that shows he really cared about her? He treated her like a pest who didn't understand him and was in way over her head. That's why she attacked him. She was fed up. It was only later after talking to Yoda that Luke decided it was best to try to help out, and even then Luke still does not reach out to communicate with Rey when we know he's capable of doing so.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  8. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Luke will be in IX as a force ghost, but, for what purpose? Idk if JJ & story group are able to tell something meaningfull

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I trust JJ to do it justice. I will like to see how JJ treats Luke.

TadoFett, Strongbow and JoJoPenelli like this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    That degree of antagonism and emotional distance would be very strange if the surface read of their relationship were the correct one. That’s just not how reluctant teacher/eager pupil tropes unfold. Luke is a supporting character. His arc supports hers, not the other way around. The way Luke’s arc goes, one might think that Broom Boy showing up on Achoo would have had the same result.

And yet the very, very meta demand “Why are you here?”

Indeed.

As for connection...next time you see the movie, pay close attention to the shots starting from when Luke says “and I will not be the last Jedi.” ;)

Also note how Rey - despite apparently having no past connection to Luke and a short, emotionally distant relaionship with him, senses his death even before Leia, and senses his emotions as he dies. Kylo isn’t shown as sensing it at all.

Hmm.

TadoFett likes this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I think there is no chance of him not appearing at all. There will at least be a cameo, though I hope JJ recognizes that now Luke is "back," we need to see him a bit more. We need to see that he is fulfilling his task and passing on what he knows.

TadoFett likes this.
  12. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    JJ Abrams is the executive producer of The Last Jedi (like Pablo Hidalgo said weeks ago), read the script and KK confirmed JJ & Rian had a lot of conversations.

In TFA Luke just to show up for 5 sec in the end after he disappeared for years without tell nothing to his sister. I don't like what Rian made to Luke but I don't trust in JJ Abrams

PS: JJ said Han Solo is his favorite character and we know what happened to him.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  13. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'd argue he was, though not in the traditional sense. The simple fact is that Rey got to him. He's in exile for 7 years, and within a few days of being with Rey, he's back. There is a lesson there. There is also a lesson in his choice to do what he did on Crait.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    This time the repaired lightsaber will toss Luke.

15. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    Well he took his hand with him he might not be dead

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The question, imo, is how Rey got Luke back. After all, it was Artoo and Yoda who seemed to actually get Luke to get his rear in gear.

Could Broom Boy have done just as well?

Darth Nikean likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    well it would not matter since it was a team effort between Artoo and Yoda.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  18. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Luke doesn't speak to Rey after she leaves the island. This much is very clear. She strikes out on her own to turn Kylo and help the Resistance.

They could have had Luke's voice in her head like Obi-Wan's was in Luke's head during the trench run, and they didn't do that for a reason. Rey doesn't need Luke like she doesn't need her parents. It's one of the themes of the movie. Rey sensing Luke's death is not the same thing as Luke intentionally communicating with her through the Force, which again he doesn't do. It's just another sign of her extreme Force ability.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Luke does not die until the very end of the film. Obi Wan wanted Luke to run. In that moment Luke does not need to say anything.

20. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm talking about when Luke is in his X-wing attacking the Death Star, Obi-Wan speaks to him, helps calm him and center him on the Force.

And Luke doesn't have to die to speak telepathically with Rey. The opposite is established actually, both in ESB and TLJ. He can speak to another Force sensitive from a great distance while alive.

Luke could have reached out to Rey, but he didn't. Yoda told Luke "we are what they grow beyond," meaning, "Let Rey go, she needs to move past looking up to you as her mentor."

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  21. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    Many of the specifics about the workings of the Force, and Force Ghosts in particular, are kept vague. What seems to me to be the case, from what we get from the films, with Force Spirits is that there are numerous variables:

-We know that not just anyone or any force user can become a force spirit or presence (Qui-Gon)
    -Force spirits are a recent (or recently rediscovered, perhaps?) development for the Jedi.
    -The ability for a person to communicate and/or interact with a force ghost depends upon the development of the individual, and could also be tied to place and/or crisis. Luke in ANH only hears Obi-Wan, in ESB and RotJ when he is more developed in his force sensitivity/training he can see him, starting with the misty form he sees when near freezing on Hoth, to the more "present" Obi-Wan he speaks with in RotJ on Dagobah, which seems to be a place strong in the force.
    -Force spirits likely cannot (or do not) just appear any old time to shoot the breeze or chat. (I actually quite like what they did with Qui-Gon's spirit in the CW, with Obi-Wan able to see him on Mortis--a place with weird force properties). I can't imagine that episode IX would give us a Professor Luke spirit, teaching "Force Levitation 101" to a group of rowdy broom boys. But I do think that force ghost Luke will be in it, likely to talk to Rey about a crucial decision.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    TadoFett likes this.
  22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Yoda was speaking fairly literally. By the end of TLJ, Rey has essentially gone through a remix of Luke’s OT arc, and her story isn’t finished yet.

23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Rey hasn't really though because Luke was selfless in his need to save Vader. Rey OTOH is primarily trying to save the Resistance. Trying to get Kylo to switch sides to do it wasn't Rey's first choice (it wasn't even her preferred choice). Even at the very end, she gives Luke one last chance to come with her when he asks her not to try to bring Ben back, and he refuses. This is Plan B for Rey, not Plan A. And both plans have the same primary objective: save the Resistance.

Luke doesn't go to Vader in ROTJ to save the Rebels. He believes the Rebels will succeed. He will either save his father or die trying. He's willing to give his life for the belief that his father is still in there.

In both cases (Plans A and B) Rey is asking someone to do something for her, something she needs. She needs Luke to come back with her. He won't. She needs Kylo to switch sides and end the attempts to destroy the Resistance. He won't. She comes to realize that it's up to her (it's always been up to her).

Jedi Merkurian and Rodie like this.
  24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    “Mirroring” =/= “literally the same actions/story/etc.”

Sorta like I’ve pointed out with Luke being a Jesus figure.

25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Rey's not a Jesus figure in the way Luke is, that was my point. She's not here to selflessly save a soul. She wants to get something done. She is demanding these broken Skywalker men help her. She finds them both lacking, and leaves them. Luke, though, does finally get his **** together. Rey expects something in return and she is probably angry at Kylo for not accepting the very reasonable path she presented and for choosing evil. She expects them to do what she believes is the morally right thing and she believes her morality is absolute.

In any case there's been lots of unrelated mirroring in Star Wars. Not every mirror is about people being genetically related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.