main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Only without the sibling, the coming home, the leaving home in a state of urgency and greed...incredibly kinda-sorta similar ;) I knew what you meant, though; it's never too late to come "home" and be loved unconditionally.

I'm not so sure I would be down with Luke coming back in a purely physical form. I do, however, think it would be an equally interesting twist to see him perform some type of pivotal action from the spiritual realm in IX; that is, something more than just a few words of guidance.

ChrisLyne, Demsa Aztor and TadoFett like this.
  2. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    That sounds like an interesting idea. I could go for that!

3. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Well, some of us are aware that it would be resurrecting an old discarded idea. There was a draft of Return of the Jedi in which Ben and Yoda "assist" Luke in defeating Vader and the Emperor in their spiritual forms. For the life of me, I'm not sure exactly how they would assist was fully fleshed out, but there was deliberate action on their parts to help in the fight.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    themoth likes this.
  4. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about that in ROTJ. On one hand, it really did need to be Luke who handled it on his own (well, with Anakin's help.) On the other hand, it completely negated the whole "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" thing when it turns out that Obi-Wan "can't get involved."
    In Episode 9, though, I really think it could work well to have Luke get involved in some meaningful way beyond just dispensing wisdom.

5. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    They DID state Luke's fate opens up 'many new possibilities.' How a FG providing last minute advice to Rey or haunting Ren is 'many and new', I just don't see.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    In TLJ we saw that Luke could change his appearance. Perhaps they'll take that to the next level now that he's one with the Force? Perhaps he could appear as different characters? Maybe we'll get a scene of Luke talking to Kylo Ren and while he's talking to Kylo he quickly changes his appearance cycling between Anakin, Vader, Han, Leia and Snoke? Seems like these characters appearing to Kylo would really do a number on him.

Perhaps Luke will do this with Rey too? Maybe Luke really is Rey's father and he'll make himself look similar to how he would've looked when Rey was a little girl?

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  7. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Problem with that is getting Harrison back and Carrie's dead.

That would imply undoing a bit of TLJ storyline where Rey turns out to simply be some nobody from small beginnings, which is supposedly fine as it is. Not a complaint, mind you; Just a wry statement.

8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Getting Harrison back would be a challenge but I think not a total impossibility. Also they might be able to pull off some studio trickery to quickly include a wordless image of Leia.

That said even if they don't include Han and Leia it might be cool to see Luke taking on the appearance of Vader, Anakin and Snoke and/or other characters. What if Luke appeared to Kylo as a limbless burned up Anakin and said something like, "is this really who you want to become"? That could be chilling.

9. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Nope, KK has made it clear they wouldn't be doing any clever CGI stuff to reanimate Carrie or a likeness of Leia Organa, so yeah.....

I really doubt it, if they didn't bring Anakin back for TLJ, I don't think they'll be bringing him int Ep. IX. It'll seem bloated enough as it is.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I hear yeah. I'm just kicking around ideas how they could show Luke using the Force in ways we haven't seen before as RJ has touched on in interviews.

Bringing Luke back just to give Rey an inspirational speech would be, well not that inspirational a choice.

ChildOfWinds and MrElculver2424 like this.
  11. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Pulling the whole Force Projection to inspire the galaxy, subjectively wouldn't be an inspirational choice, yet here we are. Let's not underestimate people's views of what makes a good or bad story.

Luke's time to shine was TLJ. Hoping for IX to bring some more Luke goodness is like hoping for an undiscovered oasis on Tatooine at this point. RJ made it painfully clear that they can't afford to have Luke outshine Rey, and JJ apparently didn't have enough confidence in himself as a writer to attempt to have Luke in TFA because of fear that the ST main characters would, naturally, be overshadowed.

I maintain what GL did with Yoda was good, not too prominent but he had a strong place in the story.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh I'm not expecting Luke to pull off a big show stopping spectacle. I just think it would nice if J.J. seized on the opportunity to give us something new in regards to Force Ghost abilities.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  13. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    As would I, and I'll have my fingers crossed, but I won't have my hopes all that high.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  14. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I rather hope Luke's role is diminished in IX as compared to VIII because he really isn't the main character anymore... It should be close to the Obi-Wan/Yoda time in ROTJ imo...

I could see more of a role though if he's communicating with both Rey and Kylo as that would necessitate more time.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  15. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    You`ll probably get your wish. Though in that case I would prefer him to not be in it instead of just probably more indignities. Just make a clean break now.

We`ll likely get some kind of idea from it once shooting starts and if Mark Hamill is participating and for how long. If he is not in it, I can happily sit this out.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  16. Rylo_Ken

Rylo_Ken Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    Well TLJ set up the idea force ghosts can influence the living world, so it's all on the table for JJ now. I have yet to process exactly what I want from Luke in 9. So tough.

oncafar likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "You wanted to see Luke Skywalker rip a Star Destroyer out of the sky? He could only do that as a ghost. You're welcome! See you in 2019!"

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I really hope he is in 9!

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sure force ghost Luke will be all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

burg2774 likes this.
  20. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Ford will do a cameo as Han if Kennedy pays him well for it. That's the only thing. But LFL/Disney has the money. It's not like Ford is anti Star Wars. Clearly he loved doing all the promo stuff for TFA, he smiled his way through the whole thing and seemed to be really enjoying himself even at the big conventions and such.

Appearing in a force vision, flashback or dream sequence, two days on set working with Abrams and Driver again...I could see Ford doing that if they give him $1million.

Luke told Kylo that Han would always be with him...So let's see that. Let's have Kylo have a Force vision in which Han appears to him says a line or three of new dialog (maybe something about Leia always believing there's good in him, that he's still Ben)...and Kylo briefly sees himself killing his father again, wakes up in a cold sweat, clearly troubled, and then Luke's ghost is there in the room and they have a conversation about the nature of the Force....

21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    After fearing too much for his life, Kylo decided that he can only trust a droid army. He and Hux suffer an excruciating break-up and Kylo only has droids, but much smarter and better droids than TCW ones. The droids actually manufacture themselves and have an ever-evolving AI, and perhaps that artifact that Aphra found that told Vader it was a Jedi can come into play as the head droid? Anyway, these droids become this total force of evil in their own right, completely unnatural. FG Luke ventures to the droid homeworld (they have one now) to end the droid plague once and for all. But he laments what he must do for he has come to believe that droids have souls.

The scenes keep switching between Rey (main hero of actual plot) and Luke (hero of his own droid side plot)...

22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  23. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    This is non-canon. The EU tended to make Jedi more powerful than they actually are.

24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. Now that Kylo is all alone I think it could be cool to see him haunted by his parents, Luke, Snoke, perhaps even the classmates that he killed.

25. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Sounds cool. Makes sense. But I'm not too optimistic because whatever makes sense, they seem to avoid doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.