main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Luke in the OT had two distinct aspects to his personality: The defeatist ("Biggs is right! I'm NEVER getting out of here!" "You ask the IMPOSSIBLE!" "We're wasting our time!" "I can't go on alone!", "I'm shouldn't have come," "That little droid is going to get me into a lot of trouble!" etc, etc), and the optimist ("There's still good in him," etc.) I think TLJ did a good job of capturing his defeatist personality, so yeah, it would be nice if Ep9 captures some of his more optimistic side. And since the final chapter in a trilogy is typically a bit less depressing than the middle chapter, it would be fitting.

oncafar and TadoFett like this.
  2. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    It would not surprise me in the least if Luke does return in physical form. IMO, they have got to do SOMETHING drastic to throw off how predictable IX is going to be. We know so many things for a fact, and we can make safe bets about so many others:

100 percent chance
    1. Rey lives
    2. Finn lives
    3. Poe lives
    4. Rose and Finn kiss/fall in love
    5. Poe takes over the leadership of the Rebellion/Resistance
    6. The First Order is defeated
    7. Hux dies

75-90 percent chance
    1. Rey builds a new lightsaber out of the broken Skywalker saber that is double-bladed and similar to her trusty staff (maybe she even uses part of it)
    2. Ren dies in some kind of self-sacrifice in order to save Rey and at the same time dooms the First Order

Leia won't appear. Han *could* appear in a flashback, but that would be kind of cheap, IMO, and take away from his final moments. I doubt that. The wild cards here are Snoke and Luke. We've never seen a Dark Side user re-appear after death in the films/new canon and I don't think they are going to start now. Luke is really the only character/plot point that could provide a truly surprising, spectacular moment.

And someone earlier mentioned the early ROTJ concept of Kenobi and Yoda helping Luke against Palpatine. It is my understanding that early on, Yoda was going to fight Palpatine and Kenobi was going to take on Vader. I don't know where Luke was while this was going on. The final version was that initially, when Palpatine attacks Luke with lightning, Yoda and Kenobi appear as spirits and deflect the lightning for a time, but are overcome by it and disappear.

TadoFett likes this.
  3. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I'll hold out hope of Luke returning, but personally I'd be surprised if he appeared...at all. TLJ was all about moving beyond Luke and the Skywalkers ("You don't need Luke Skywalker" >>>the Rebellion is reborn, and I will not be the last Jedi.") Of course JJ can do whatever he wants, but I think KK is making a point to move beyond Luke, and I would not be surprised at all if he is done, completely.

I agree with most of your other stuff, except Rose and Finn falling in love. That would for one be terrible, and JJ Abrams might not want to do anything with Rose. Rose was a RJ creation and there really isn't a place for her to be of any importance in the story. Either Finn and Rey will have something, or JJ will be really risky and Finn and Poe will have something.

Demsa Aztor and ahsokatano713 like this.
  4. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I agree with a lot you are saying. Part of me would like to see Luke in nine, but in reality don't think so. Not until I hear some official announcement that Mark has signed on for 9.

I terms of KMT, I really like her and she did a good job in TLJ, but part of me says that JJ isn't going to use her to the extent that RJ did, which is a shame, but that's the business.

5. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Mark Hamill signed a three-film contract for the sequels originally, so expecting an announcement that he has signed on is unlikely. We will probably get word of his involvement at some point this summer while it's filming. Mark has already been trolling people about his involvement.

6. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Maybe that wasn't the right choice of words. Some hints that he will be appearing in the film. But thanks for letting me know.

TadoFett likes this.
  7. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Seeing as its pretty much a given that the climax of this trilogy will be a duel between Rey and Kylo, I can totally imagine Luke being there on the sidelines. However...an interesting thing could be Ben not being able to see Luke, even though Luke is doing crazy poltergeist stuff to mess with him, and he can also hear Luke's voice in his head, taunting him. 'By the way, your mom says "hi"...' [face_plain]

Though, after all of this, the big twist is IMO going to be that Rey IS Luke's daughter. Luke appears to Rey and apologises 'I guess all dads mess up every now and then, trust me on that....' :cool: This revelation sends Ben into pure meltdown and he becomes hellbent on killing Rey.

8. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I would love all of this. And yeah, I guess I'd bet that Luke will appear in some form. His "see you around, kid" line meant something, unless of course JJ says f-you to Rian and just disregards it. But I doubt it.

I would love a big reveal of Rey being Luke's daughter, but that would also require a deep and satisfying backstory, which they'd have to spend a lot of time on. Why Rey didn't know, why Luke didn't know, why they didn't stay together, who the mother is, what happened to her, etc. And I highly doubt they're going to spend the required time to explain all that. The theme of the ST seems to be chug along and keep moving; no explanations or deep backstories necessary.

9. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    It’s hard for me to see what would cause Kylo and Rey to fight now after they passed on two chances in TLJ.

Star war likes this.
  10. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Kylo's gonna have to go full-on dark side rage. So far he's been heavily conflicted and his self-confidence has been shaken. Time to make him the darkest, most evil guy we've ever seen.

ahsokatano713 likes this.
  11. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Ahsoka came back, Luke could too

Satipo likes this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke Barbossa will save the day!
    I vote: yes

13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    While I think (and hope) time travel will be off the table, I do think Rebels further shows a willingness to open up with the Force, and I'm really hoping that continues with 9 - and Luke would be the perfect conduit for that.

14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah I'm generally not into time travel in Star Wars but at the same time it would make some sense to me that Luke being one with the Force would have the ability to use to time travel.

One could maybe argue that they've touched on that in TLJ. Luke believed he saw the future when he read Ben's mind. So did Rey. If Force sensitive people can see the future it seems like a person like Luke who has merged with the Force and whose grandfather was basically the Force itself it seems like Luke might now not only be able to see the future but might be able to visit the future too.

TadoFett likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Is the novel maybe saying as well that
    Luke did not disappear but went on a time travel trip?

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    After watching Rebels last night, anything is possible at this point.

Shadao and Darth Smurf like this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I guess we won't see a flying spaghetti monster?
    Wait, wasn't this one in the Solo trailer already ?
    [​IMG]

18. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    If they go full on crazy, they bring Mortis in and end it with Luke as the "father", Kylo as the "son" and Rey as the "daughter". Not in the way they are related but in symbolically representing some sort of force balance.

ChrisLyne and BalanceOfTheForce like this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke made a time travel and impregnated Schmi.
    Imagine the dialogue
    [​IMG]

20. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    There is a wild rumor that TLJ novelization has a line in it indicating that Luke was married at one point. Now, we have to wait to see if that is true, but that could have some bearing on 9 if so, and what Luke's future role might be.

21. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    That line has been confirmed to be part of a dream, where Luke was dreaming of how his life might have been had he stayed on Tatooine and never gone off to fight the Empire.

Confirmation that he never did have a wife.

22. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    It's because of time travel. It's in a different time loop than we have seen in the ST.
    The next scene will be Luke meeting Obi Wan on Tatooine saying:
    Luke: "Obi Wan, we already know each other, I just came back from a time travel to the past where I killed Darth Vader and Darth Sidious"
    Obi Wan: "Whom???, Who are you?"

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think time travel is extremely rare in the Star Wars universe and won’t factor in that much. I don’t see any major timeline alterations happening. The story is the story and all the major incidents are going to stay the way they are. Rebels is telling a story that relates to the arcs of their characters and I’d say access to the temple and this ‘technology’ is now impaired forever, or will be. Luke drained his life force by doing the projection and will hopefully return as a ghost.

24. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I really like this idea! Don't think it will happen because bringing in Mortis out of nowhere in the final film of a 9 film saga would seem very out of left field for anyone who hasn't watched the animated series, but I love the symbolism. Plus Luke was all about balance in TLJ so it totally fits with where his character ended up.

I definitely feel Luke will be in IX. You can't end the Skywalker Saga without him.

TadoFett likes this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you all think we'll see what Luke saw in Ben's mind the night Luke went to Ben's hut?

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.