main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Luke had about 18 hours training with Obi-Wan aboard the Falcon, then nearly a year training with Yoda on Dagobah. Rey has had 18 hours training with Luke on Ahch-To....

2. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Yoda said it, she already has what she needs and was given a final lesson/example of just what the force is and can do. Between herself and Leia...she'll be fine.

3. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

Leia won't be apart of IX in any form other than may be a Force-ghost in a non-speaking cameo.

Anyway that breaks from EVERYTHING learned in the first 6 films, what has she got? She can move rocks and pull a lightsaber to her grasp, now by the time we get to IX she's a Jedi Knight and teacher to a host of Jedi students. If TLJ got criticism, IX would explode the fan base doing that!!!

rebelknight1 likes this.
  4. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I think they blew it with Luke... he should not have died... now if he comes back, it will feel out of order and like it was only done because Carrie Fisher died. after 30 years they bring Luke back and he never leaves the island or has a scene to reunite with Han or Leah (not counting the scene where it wasn't really him)...

he should have either not died or died at the hands of snoke and / or kylo...

they did a good job of developing finn, rey, poe and kylo and I am looking forward to seeing them in the future movies, but their theme in the movie about letting old things die and than having it play out literally misses some really good opportunities to close out the skywalkers properly..

5. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017

It's not going to "explode" the fanbase it's going to continue the natural progression that which Lucasfilm has Rey's character arc on, a character arc which will most likely still be supported by Luke Skywalker in some form. The only truly upset people are those here on this forum. Star Wars is bigger than one character and i think the box office is once again proving that. Mark's performance was Oscar worthy.. well done and perfect.

6. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012

your comments makes me feel a little better, like he went out on his terms or something.... but if after 9 that was the end of Luke Skywalker, I'm still thinking there were much better options

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    What I'd love to see if Luke appear as a Force ghost not to Rey, but instead to Kylo.

"See you around, kid."

ChrisLyne and otherworlds like this.
  8. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I was thinking 8 having this 20 minute flashback sequence with the Jedi Academy, the OT characters being alive and happy, Lando would have been there to. Would have been one last glimpse of what we valued in the OT. Some last minute fan service. Showing what the times were like before Kylo turned, but I guess it really wouldn't do anything for the story (not that much of 8 did anything for the story to begin with).

Thank Harrison Ford for wanting to be killed off and having Luke on the island in the first place not to interact with Han.

9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, I posted this over in the TLJ Luke thread, but I suppose that it's relevent (maybe more so) here:
    I'm just about right there with you.

I loved Mark as Luke in TLJ. Hamill's performance really carried the film for me. And though there were some things with Luke's ST arc that, given the opportunity, I'd almost certainly have approached differently, I cannot deny that it was an absolute joy experiencing Mark as Luke again after all of these years.

Moreover, this film challenged me a lot more than TFA ever did, and that's one of the things I had asked for after what I saw as a rather paint-by-numbers Episode VII.

All that said, if they had to kill Luke (and I was so hoping that they wouldn't), I'd much, much rather it had been saved for the end of Episode IX. It would have resonated that much more with me, while maintaining my interest in (and excitement for) the final chapter.

But as it currently stands, as Luke stared into a vision of Tatooine's binary sunset, I underwent the biggest emotional response I was ever going to take from any of these ST films. And unlike ESB -- where the Big Moment at the end of the second act left me looking forward with baited breath -- this time I just feel emotionally spent.

I mean, I loved the ending (I did. I thought that it was beautiful).

But now when my thoughts turn toward Episode IX, things just feel... empty to me.

And why's that? Maybe these new heroes aren't connecting with me? I mean, Kylo is the one and only new character I find myself intrigued by (and he's friggin' nuts!). But otherwise, through 2/3 of the story so far, I find one new hero rather bland and utterly without stakes, one underused and under-appreciated, and a third charming but largely irrelevant. (I know, I know, OT)

Maybe I'm secretly resentful. Something inside of me keeps whispering that part of the design for 7, 8 and 9 was always to elbow out each of the Big 3, one at a time, with the goal of ensuring that none but the new guard stands victorious by the end. (And don't give me that old "That's how SW works!" line. There are more creative avenues for skinning the hero's journey cat than just the one.)

Aw, hell, maybe I just love Luke Skywalker too damned much.

But right now, the only thing that feels like it would get me excited about Episode 9 would be word of a "Luke the White" returning to corporeal form (I actually thought there were hints of this in TLJ), or some other meaningful, largely new type of role for Force spirits to play.

A big, big part of me says "Nah, they've made it crystal clear that, while they wanted to 'honor' the Legacy CharactersTM, their agenda is pushing the new characters forward for a new target audience. One which I have apparently aged myself out of. There's no way in hell they'd give Luke a big moment like this in TLJ before bringing Mark back for anything approaching a substantial role in the third act."

But then there's a small part of me which thinks back to this:
    [​IMG]
    ...and I recall how when Rian first dropped this photo, I instantly read it as "Cliffhanger." A Luke-themed cliffhanger. And how even though I went in spoiler-free regarding the entire third act, I was still not surprised when Luke disappeared. I wasn't surprised because I always thought this photo may have been meant as a hint that, while TLJ might well lead us to believe that Luke had died, we won't know the whole of the story until IX.

This, I suppose, is my one hope. Because, minus that (and even taking into account the many things I do love about TLJ), I find myself now looking forward to Episode IX less than any other SW saga film, ever.

And that sucks.

10. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Flawless acting, I do understand his characterization angered some ppl, but at least it's understandable.

His death scene was handled perfectly.

11. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    So far the ending of TLJ leaves me with no excitement for IX. Luke may be there as a force ghost, but apart from some words, I'm 100% sure Luke is not allowed to do anything important to not overshadow Rey as in the previous 2 episodes. So it will be after Solo movie which I will skip in cinema the first saga movie I skip in cinema. wow, never thought they would bring me to this. and yep, this sucks since I was full of enthusiasm when I heard the saga will be continued. [face_plain]

solo77 likes this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Bravo. One of the best posts about the finale I’ve seen on the boards.

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wish Luke force ghosted at the end of IX. Keeping him still alive between films to train Rey. Since that will never be now, I'm wanting to see him interact with Rey and Kyle as a ghost with an alive Luke showing up In a flashback (such as seeing him training Ben solo). Whether it be In a flashback pre-TFA or it is rediscovered post TLJ, Luke's green saber should also make an appearance.

14. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I am convinced that Luke is not truly dead. He just manifested powers beyond what we've seen before, and in a sense, transcended his physical existence. I don't expect him to have a large role in 9, but would not be surprised at all to see that he can fully manifest, rather than solely appearing as a ghost. (think how Yoda and Obi-Wan were supposed to appear in earlier scripts of ROTJ) I can see him aiding Rey in training the next generation of Jedi. An easy way to include him, without overshadowing her character.

ChrisLyne and SunStar like this.
  15. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I just want Luke to succeed at building a New Jedi Order, the way his legends counterpart did, but hopefully he will finally succeed that with Rey.

16. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    It's ironic that Disney's/Lucasfilm's plan is that the OT characters shouldn't overshadow the new characters. And imo, Leia, Luke nor Han didn't overshadow the new characters in neither TFA or TLJ. Instead emo-Luke and Superman-Leia are the most post-discussed topics. Ironic.

nightangel and Dominick1216 like this.
  17. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    We should have gotten a second trilogy with the big 3 in the early 2000's, that's where George screwed up. Then we would have had 2 trilogies with the big 3 and would have been worn out watching them after 6 films and then took on the prequels around 2008. Episode X would have been the force awakens and Episode XI would have been The Last Jedi. There should have been another trilogy with Luke, Leia and Han.

You just know that Rey will travel back to Ach-to to complete her training and have many more questions, especially after Leia's demise off screen, or watching her ship get destroyed. How will Rey do more damage to the watchers of the island, you know when she goes back there, they will either run from her or be angry with her the moment they see her.

Luke will be a force ghost for sure. He will communicate with her and offer advice and help her with Ben Solo. Could Luke interfere when Rey and Kylo fight again, where Obi-wan couldn't interfere with Vader and Luke. Is there a Jedi law that forbids it?

Anyways, I loved Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi, I'm sure we'll see him in Episode IX.

Ben is the only remaining Skywalker in Episode IX

Sitara likes this.
  18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Most likely planned, they wanted to send Luke off well and they wanted Leia to have a powerful moment since she'd be out of the picture for a long time. Her death was unexpected, but ultimately the goal is to pass the torch. Han did it with his example and Luke did it with his..

19. SunStar

SunStar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015

TadoFett likes this.
  20. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    My impression of Luke's death was that he didn't die from exhaustion, at all. He realized that he gave the Resistance the chance to fight another day and laid the foundation for the Jedi to continue on through Rey. It's literally what Yoda and Luke said; one of the problems I had with the film is that it literally hit you over the head with its themes, dumbing it down so I guess to make it obvious for younger viewers. Having fulfilled his purpose as a teacher, knowing the Jedi would live on, and understanding it was no longer his fight, he leaves the earth "peacefully." It was actually a decent send off, all things considered after what they did to his character.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  21. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
  22. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    The whole point of bringing back Luke has become unnecessary, Rey is all powerful and all knowing. She will become far more powerful than Luke and in that the story has died its death. A hero without faults is boring, a hero that can never be in peril is even worse.

But the way to give the story any depth, to keep the narrative that Snoke feared Luke means he has still a part to play even though Snoke is apparently dead. If Obi-Wan still had a role in TESB and ROTJ, then so should Luke in IX, how it will be done is to be seen as they've apparently concluded his story arc.

nightangel likes this.
  23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Actually, it does not. The article states that there's still a possibility that Mark does appear in IX and that it depends whether or not JJ does want to go into Force ghosts.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

24. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    This broom boy made it clear, this will be our future random Luke. It was a full send off with no return. He may be talked about like in TFA, but that's it and we have to face it.

25. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I'm not so sure if we do ever see the broom boy again (at least not in IX, but maybe in other material). But I guess we get more elaboration on the fact that the force is awakening in everyone.
    I don't write off the possibility of a Luke appearance yet. We still don't know much about IX expect that JJ has pitched the story to Iger very recently.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.