main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    LMAO you made me genuinely spill out my coffee. No we never will. ESB is a perfectly structured and timeless hero's journey and even if you took out Luke's terrible mischracterizatron from TLJ it is a horrible mess of plot holes and filler arcs. If anything it will be looked at less and less as time goes on.

2. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    Has Johnson or anyone else stated anywhere that Luke is definitely properly capital D dead? The way he disappeared really caught me off guard and at first it didn't even register as a death. He's obviously going to be back as a force ghost at least (there is no question there) but part of me wonders if he's going to manifest himself in a more unexpected and tangible way.

TadoFett likes this.
  3. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Problematic? Huh? What is problematic about a man giving advice and guidance to a young female character. Do fathers not give guidance to daughters? Do Teachers not advise pupils in school? This is the most cringe thing I've heard in a long time for why Luke and Rey have zero relationship in TLJ.

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    RJ has talked about Luke's death, so I guess he's dead. But we know that death is not the end for Jedi, so I could totally see him manifesting himself in a way that we haven't seen before.

5. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Agreed. I still believe the tangible, solid force ghost concept for Yoda and Obi-Wan that was originally intended for ROTJ might be used for Luke. After having him elevated to another level of force use, that would be a good way to make his death different than those that came before.

ChrisLyne and themoth like this.
  6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah. While I don't think it's a given by any means, I do think it is a possibility.

TadoFett likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is what I thought the twist was going to be for TLJ. I thought Luke would die and then resurrect himself. I still think it's a possibility, but not necessarily likely.

Satipo and TadoFett like this.
  8. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    when you say that I start thinking of Darth Plaighuse and I love this so much. please keep going, it helps me gain power powah

TadoFett likes this.
  9. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    such a shame Luke died in TLJ, a big wasted opportunity for 9.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Especially with HOW he died. That felt so, underwhelming.

afrojedi, BalanceOfTheForce and 11-4D like this.
  11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    RJ also said Rey's parentage could change sooooo....yeah.

If JJ Abrams decides that Luke faded into the Force to prevent Snoke and the Emperor from being Reborn...and then he steps back onto the physical world to pull a 'Listen here boy!' to Kylo Ren that is exactly what will happen.

I know people say these directors talk...and that's true...dosen't mean they are under any obligation to take the story in the direction the previous writer/director thought best. I mean look at RJ....and all the stuff he just ditched to make his film. I agree with Making Kylo Ren the Supreme Leader of the First Order....establishing him as a Villain different from Vader....but everything with Snoke was jettisoned to do it.

TadoFett likes this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    A Force ghost is fine. Yoda was extremely strong in the Force and that’s what he became. Luke should be no different. They already have shown Force ghosts can interact with their environment if they really want to. That’s enough for me. Force projection Luke on Crait is basically a tease of what’s to come in IX. Luke appears before characters but he’s not physically there.

TK327, ChrisLyne, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I sympathise with that... Though keeping him alive also poses several problems for IX. Rian already gave him the face-off with Ben, so you can't repeat that; this then leaves Luke needing to do...something else in the movie. But what?

Because it's Luke he needs a huge role. As Rian said, you could have him doing crazy stuff with the Force, pulling ships out of the sky etc. but suddenly things are turning into ROTS and the overblown Yoda/Sidious fight (which, granted, was good in some ways, though the cheesy cackling of Palps...). Also, who exactly does he fight? Snoke is dead. Even if Snoke were still alive, and Luke fought him in IX, the question would be raised again of why Luke never went to kill him years ago...

For both Rey and Ben to fulfil their destinies (whatever they may be) I have no doubt Luke needed to be out of the picture. So if he hadn't died in VIII it would needed to have happened in IX, perhaps early on. So what do you do, have Ben kill him? Completely anticlimactic after the events of TLJ.

I've yet to see anyone give a decent explanation for what they think a still-living Luke would do in IX that doesn't completely overshadow the new main characters.

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I love Luke (and he is a powerful Jedi) but he’s not a special case. His father was the Chosen One. If anyone is to show extreme power as Force ghost, surely it’s Anakin.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  15. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    While like I agree with some of your points, it’s safe to safe the majority of the audience cares more about Luke than they do for Rey/Kylo....

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    LOL! Maybe the guy in the top left hand corner thought he'd seen a bad film (like a LOT of people thought and still think) and the rest the people in the pic are were/are in denial?

There are two sides to every story...

17. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I see that Mark and his family were in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day and he got to be in a parade. Apparently, he was asked repeatedly about whether he was going to be back in the next movie, and was vague in his responses. However, he unequivocally stated multiple times that he'd love to be in the next movie, and have another chance to play Luke. So much for the conspiracy theories that he doesn't want to be in the next one, because he hated the last one so much.

themoth likes this.
  18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    God to see Mark pick up the Icon award from the Empire film awards. TLJ did well - best film, best director and best actress too. Well deserved.

TK327, Star war, rorow1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    What I would really love to see JJ do is to use the actual passing of Carrie Fisher as a major plot piece where Leia, in recognising that the galaxy still needs Luke Skywalker in the flesh (especially in its most desperate hour now), sacrifices her physical being for the resurrection of Luke; after reading something from one of the ancient Jedi texts that Rey now possesses - where there is an ancient way of bringing someone back, but you sacrifice your life in the process.

I could really buy this and its a way they (JJ and Lucasfilm) can use the legacy of Carrie's character in a really meaningful and respectful way and still not show Leia in 9.

And I'm going out on a limb here a little, but maybe it might help heal some wounds that some fans feel now.

Wouldn't that be a great start to 9. Have a similar image of Luke on his hands and knees (like Rey in 8), gasping for air. Tears would be flowing thick and fast in the cinemas around the world.

TadoFett likes this.
  20. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    But Rey is here. Why do we need Luke in the flesh?

Luke being tangible like Yoda would be great for training Rey. I liked their stick fight.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    TadoFett likes this.
  21. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Shooting starts in 4 months...every actor in the main cast knows by now if they're back again or not. So i suppose Mark has to stay vague about it...but whether he's in the movie or not, he knows. I believe he has a part in ep9 but the question is, is it like Obi-Wan in TESB and ROTJ or something more substential?

TadoFett likes this.
  22. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I guess mostly out of a fan service perspective. Because although I'm happy with Luke's characterization in TLJ, there is still a part in me too that would love to see Luke rebuild a new order of Force users; not necessarily Jedi, but something that Luke thinks these people should become. Luke and Rey would be the ones to take down Kylo and all of his Knights of Ren in 9; as well as the final remnants of the Empire, The First Order or whatever else they call themselves.

The happy ending to this trilogy is to see Luke finally to have seen the light (pun intended) and realise that the galaxy needs selfless and powerful people to help protect it from all of its evils. In some respects, it could be seen as going 2 steps backward to go forward again. Sometimes in life, that is what's needed.

It wouldn't diminish Rey's character in any way as she will still be the lead. Luke's role will be that of the teacher and secondary to Rey's

By the way, I too loved the walking stick / staff fight too.

TadoFett likes this.
  23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    It's not Luke's story. I think Rey would be the one to rebuild.

I would be fine with Luke taking on some bodhisattva role though, appearing to those falling to the darkness. I would actually love that and see it as the ultimate realization of his character.

And although there would still be ways in which he couldn't or wouldn't interfere, he probably could also become tangible like Yoda, and actually impact the tangible world at times.

Basically Luke would be a god.

But sometimes I feel like Rey is the protag/Force hero and so many just want Luke or Finn to be that. But it's Rey.

Generational Fan likes this.
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Because they're trying to explore the whole mythos of the Force and the power it can grant those who are connected to it the strongest. It's a whole new blank canvas to be explored and the bonus is you get to use some established characters, Yoda became flesh in TLJ when he physically interacted with Luke.

Mark Hamill has to play it cagey about revealing whether he'll be in IX, if you went back to 1978 I think you'd get a similar response from Alec Guinness, nobody want's to spoil a surprise.

TadoFett likes this.
  25. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Given how Luke worked through his fear and showed resolve when Obi-Wan and Yoda thought Anakin was beyond redemption, it would have been nice to see Luke trying to impart that on Rey who may have been like him early on--quick to jump in. Him being fed up and cranky seemed jarring to me in comparison to RoTJ. If he were to come back in IX, would he go back to being Zen like (and why?) or would he stay cranky and irritated?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.