main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I didn’t forget. But the camera cuts between Rey and Luke were different.

I think Finn’s (imo) ill treatment in TLJ has nothing to do with Rey’s parentage or how that unfolds. I think Luke will return as a FG. I think that Rey will learn she’s a Skywalker - now that she’s finally found her place and defined herself as an individual (hopefully!). I think Rey/Luke will be key in 9 but will take up relatively little narrative space. I don’t think Rey’s relationship to Luke is as important in the ST as her relationship to the Skywalker family as a whole, and how all their histories are intertwined - and how it all ties in to what’s driving Kylo to, well, try to be evil.

Because imo the ST is in large part about unraveling and resolving the mistakes and sins of the past and healing the Skywalker family. The past is driving the present, and the present can’t be fully comprehended without knowing WTF happened to the family (and we know what what the movies have told us is not the whole story because the TLJ novel tells us it’s not the whole story).

Darth Nikean and TadoFett like this.
  2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    @JoJoPenelli John confirmed that Finn and Rey will not be separate in IX. Making Rey/Luke "the key" when they had 2 movies to work about it will damage Finn as male lead in his last movie.

Ren Kylo likes this.
  3. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Luke's job is done. Rian basically closed the door on the character, but I don't believe Abrams will leave it there. Also, I firmly believe Mark is contracted for 3 movies and his return is inevitable. :cool:

TadoFett and Storm_Cloud like this.
  4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I feel like Poe took away from Finn, not Luke.

5. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    I agree. The problem is that Luke's story is essentially finished, but he's still there. IX may feel like a bit of a lame encore if he just turns up with a few wisecracks and wise words.

If he has an encore, it should be more of a second climax instead of figuratively waving at the audience one last time. It's the lack of finality when a Jedi transforms - when Obi Wan was struck down by Vader he was gone, for a few seconds, then he was back coaching his student. If they can bring Luke back in a major way but make it more final, make the sacrifice mean more because it means that Luke's never coming back, that could send Luke out with a bang and then not have to worry about what to do with FG Luke in 10 years if they get around to Episode X. Yoda is the perfect Force Ghost as he can appear as they want forever, and let's face it everyone does a Yoda impression so they shouldn't have a problem with the voice.

Sorry, I meant "A problem they should not have."

TadoFett likes this.
  6. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Poe still has less screentime than Finn while Luke had more than Finn in TLJ. Finn’s screen time went from 32 minutes in TFA to 17 minutes in "the longest Star Wars movie".

Also I never saw someone saying "I think Poe is the male lead in TLJ" but Luke while Kylo is the "co-protagonist" (Rian said it too). And some people now want Poe to die because of his plot with Holdo (even calling him "the real villain").

7. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Luke (TLJ) and Han (TFA) have the same amount of screentime. Rose doesn't take from Finn because all her scenes are with Finn. Poe has more screentime and Finn has less. Kylo has less too. So who took screentime from Finn? Poe.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  8. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Snoke and Leia also has more screentime in TLJ too, you blame them too?

Also
    MOD EDIT: Posting things with disallowed words is STILL disallowed. Proofread before posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Yes. If we are blaming characters.

Also I mean we could remove Snoke and Hux and Kylo from the movie and it could be the Finn story. What you posted kind of seems to be wanting to remove Rey's Force adversaries, remove the villain characters, etc. Then it suggests the Finn/Rose plot (which IS most of Finn's screentime).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I didn't blame Luke but who is writing the script of IX if they decide to bring him back to make Rey Skywalker canon and Luke/Rey's relationship to be the key of IX story. Finn is the male lead and IX is his last movie

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    You could say that Luke/Vader was the key to the ROTJ story. Han and Leia were still leads...

TadoFett likes this.
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah. although in can probably see Luke talking abit about himself since many fands felt unfulfilled with lukes end and i could see them trying to make that a little better.

Id like to think they would give luke something cool to do but this story is not about him anymore and i am not even sure they have told us much about the current new characters in the last 2 movies alone.

Oh you never know. after all if they decided to make her related to obi wan then who else better would be able to reveal that to her?

I don't know whether they would be brave enough to do that tbh.

It would be kept more into what people know if they just had the force ghosts talk to the main good guy jedi figure.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  13. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think its kinda obvious they will bring back luke as a force ghost. although them being hush hush about it may mean he is gonna be a yoda type surprise cameo.

Many sites are currently saying Hamill doesn't feel as enthusiastic about coming back because there is nothing really in it for him now and that would be a shame really.

Either get Mark Hamill back to voice luke in an animated show or maybe make a solo movie for him set around a time that Hamill can still play luke at his age.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking Luke will come back as a practical effect hand puppet.

15. Sorry but i dont want so see Jake Skywalker never again
    Johnson ruin Luke Skywalker so bad ruining his legacy and his chracter

16. chrcharcor2

chrcharcor2 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2015
    I know it ended up a deleted scene in TLJ, but I'd love for Luke to come back as a Force Ghost in EP IX to give Rey that last lesson he never gave her.

jaqen likes this.
  17. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Sad to hear Mark Hamill doesn't care anymore if he's in 9 or not. His explanation of Carrie not being here and no Han anymore is kind of heartbreaking. I know the saga must continue, I just wish there was a way to have given Harrison and Mark one last scene together.

18. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    But now Mark Hamill is saying he doesn’t care if he comes back or not that’s a bad sign. He’s probably depressed though
    yeah I know. But I don’t blame him I think I can rightly say most of us don’t care either . I might watch nine but it want be on top of my list for movies to watch . Sorry I just don’t care for the new characters. They can’t go off track and make it their own thing . If you take away from the things that made it Star Wars. They miss treated Luke and a whole lot of other things.I understand they want to get new you customers but now that the expense of the new customers it still needs to be Star Wars and you still need to keep your old customers. If you make 50 have a magic to make new customers you still have 50 customers the whole idea is to get 100 customers. I see it like McDonald’s big Mac just McDonald’s signature sandwich if you take special sauce and a little bread from it it’s just a normal hamburger you can’t at make your own hamburger and Collett a big Mac you can’t add tomatoes barbecue sauce and bacon it is no longer a Big Mac . That is how I feel the have done with this franchise.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    ChildOfWinds and Jamtia like this.
  19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I imagine Mark does still care about the franchise and if he was asked he probably would keep come back, but with so much being concluded in this trilogy it doesn't really leave much for him.

Let mark voice Luke for an animated show where he can voice a earlier luke whose more to how he wanted the character to be maybe.

Although Hamill doesn't really seem to voice luke for anything beyond that last forces of destiny short and i wonder why that is? he did do a voice for Clone Wars and thats because playfully asked so maybe its possible?

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    MH could say he doesn't care anymore in one interview and then say something to the opposite effect in a future interview.

21. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I took that as filming this is not nearly as enjoyable without Carrie with him. They had been together on this journey since the beginning. Can't say I blame him. But i don't t hink he's turning his back on the whole endeavor.

22. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    The more MH slams TLJ, the more likely he knows he's not going to be a part of Ep9, I hope I am wrong.

Darth Smurf and Darth Nikean like this.
  23. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I dont see how this interview can be seen as MH criticizing TLJ or the ST....but somehow he sounds like he's not gonna be in ep9. Or a very small cameo at the most (à la ghost yoda).

24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    To use Luke as a Force-ghost in exactly the same way as Yoda and Obi-Wan was used will probably not be too appealing to Mark, the way the ST has pushed to be bolder and more creative I'm not sure that will happen. RJ said "they'd pressed the reset button" with the Force so it would seem that Force-ghosts will be able to do more just as Yoda became corporeal for a short time when chastising Luke for his failures and his lack of faith.

For me at this time the whole thing balances in creating a situation where Luke is needed by Rey,as it is I see Kylo/Ben needing Anakin's spirit more than Rey needing Luke.

Darth Nikean likes this.
  25. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    He could easily be released from the contract. I wouldn't bet on anything until there's official word about a return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.